Shadowflame not applying poison

Community Discussion
So shadowflame no longer applies poison to the damage modifiers?
https://imgur.com/a/D0EIBjW

the faceless are still there...
IDK that it ever used poisonous.

The text reads "Destroy a friendly minion and deal its Attack damage to all enemy minions." So the minion is destroyed and then *the spell* deals the appropriate amount of damage; poisonous is not part of that.

Contrast that with Betrayal where it is *the minion* that deals its damage directly to its neighbors and thus applies poisonous.
The spell does the damage, not the minion. All the minion does is set a value for how much damage Shadowflame will do. It's the same reason why Blade Flurry doesn't apply a weapon's poison effect (if applicable).

A card like Wild Pyromancer, for example, works differently. it can apply a poison effect to its passive ability because the minion is doing the damage.
12/20/2018 05:51 AMPosted by nogoodnik
IDK that it ever used poisonous.

Shadowflame never used Poisonous, so you are correct.
Hmm, I could have swore that I read somewhere that blade furry applied poison if weapon had poison. I just inferred that shadowflame would do the same (if furry did in fact do that, which I now correctly read that it does not...). Thx for the correction!
I'm confused now as well as to why it would not work.
If you put poison on a deathrattle card (deal 2dmg to all enemy minions) it applies that poison to all enemy minions, not just 2dmg.
Does shadowflame have a restriction or something because people would clear boards with 7mana?
I mean.... deal it's attack dmg to all minons, the attack dmg of cobra IS poison dmg. I'm confused why it would work on deathrattle deal dmg to enemy minions but not on shadowflame.
12/21/2018 02:19 AMPosted by DexGallas
I'm confused now as well as to why it would not work.
If you put poison on a deathrattle card (deal 2dmg to all enemy minions) it applies that poison to all enemy minions, not just 2dmg.

The deathrattle minion (Exploding Bloatbat is what you're thinking of) does the damage, so if poison is applied to it, it will work with its damage.

As already explained, Shadowflame and Blade Flurry don't apply poison because the damage comes from the spell, not the minion/weapon. The minion/weapon is only used to provide a value for how much damage the spell will do.
12/21/2018 04:12 AMPosted by Rivini
As already explained, Shadowflame and Blade Flurry don't apply poison because the damage comes from the spell, not the minion/weapon. The minion/weapon is only used to provide a value for how much damage the spell will do.

Well, that sucks. Damage comes from spell but can't buff it with spell damage but in fact damage comes from a minion and only the number is affected, not the minion's actual attack ability.
But yeah, I understand perfectly now, thanks for clarifying. It just sucks that the logic can be wonky a bit with this game when they don't word some things properly.

EDIT: I mean the logic of the Exploding Bloatbat doing poison dmg (if it gets buffed with poison) when the card only says LITERALLY "Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions". It doesn't say deal this minions attack damage to all enemy minions. So poison shouldn't proc at all.
At question is the SOURCE of the damage. If it comes from the spell, it ignores any other modifiers from a minion or weapon. Any damage that comes from the minion would have the modifier applied. You can see the minion effect with modified minions such as various zombeasts, Knife Juggler, Pyromancer or even Elven Archer's battlecry if it gains poison as it enters the field from Toxmonger.
That's an even better explanation. Thanks a lot nogoodnik.