Do you think Hearthstone needs a complete reboot?

Play Mode Discussion
I still remember vanilla which was the best meta ever, no insane RNG, no infinite value generation, no unstoppable OTK. If there was a perfect meta then vanilla is pretty close to it.

Hearthstone cannot keep up with their aggressive release schedule anymore as too many cards complicates the balancing process too much. It's time to reboot everything and redesign from scratch again. Some ideas for reboot: add more classes, remove the basic/classic set, adding side decks, increase card number in a deck...
That would be financial suicide for blizzard. No sane company would ever do something that irrational unless the product’s sales as a whole are already far below what they want them to be.

That’s not the case for hearthstone so it is not going to happen.
Not likely as Excism said but changes are required to stop the game from rotting. They can really consider hiring someone who really plays the game and take their advices seriously.
Need to remove all classic cards and release more new cards. Give all players 50 free packs of the new rotating classic set each time a new one is put out as a bonus
01/18/2019 05:32 PMPosted by NOC
I still remember vanilla which was the best meta ever, no insane RNG, no infinite value generation, no unstoppable OTK. If there was a perfect meta then vanilla is pretty close to it.

Then you remember vanilla wrong, Freeze mage, UTH hunter, OG miracle rogue, Spell burn druid, Giants warrior and honorable mentions to both OGs Handlock and Zoolock

Hearthstone cannot keep up with their aggressive release schedule anymore as too many cards complicates the balancing process too much. It's time to reboot everything and redesign from scratch again. Some ideas for reboot: add more classes, remove the basic/classic set, adding side decks, increase card number in a deck...

That would make it a MTG complete clone althoug a change to the evergreen basic/classic sets would help a lot to keep the game alive some more.
Good thing to take note of:

In the Activision controlled Blizzard out of all the Blizzard games, Hearthstone is the only with set release times for content.
It was set into place once they got rid of the adventures and set the precedent of saying there will be 3 expansions every year.
This does a few things for the company:
Investors see the set income the company will make 3 times a year. No other game under Blizzard has that set amount of income besides subscriptions from WoW.
This allows Blizzards other titles to work more freely with their content because the company is financially stable because of Hearthstone packs. Ie Overwatch has no set release times for anything because they don’t have the pressure of making money fast. Which lets them spend more time of developing new characters maps etc.
Similar to Starcraft
Similar to Hero’s of the Storm

These titles run the way they do because Blizzard is stable because of Hearthstone.

There have been many rumblings that inside the Hearthstone team that some devs are getting pushed the just fork out content before the deadlines regardless of its been properly gametested. Then with the CFO of Activision now at the helm of everything. This process unfortunately will only get worse.

This game and this company is in big trouble in the next coming year or so.
Putting investors in front of your players went under the radar for years but EA burst that bubble for all you greedy companies by taking it too far. Now players are aware of these greedy tactics and will just walk away from a franchise if they are being taken advantage of.
Hearthstone is and it kills me to say, going down that path for the main reason I mentioned above of just being pushed for quantity over quality to ease the mind of investors considering no other Blizzard title can consistently bring in money.

Little edit: I was a little vague about some of these greedy tactics Blizzard has been running out in recent times.
The first was Diablo Immortal being used to tap into that Mobile market for what seems like a similar kind of product Hearthsone is, being a cash cow for the company. This is widely known but it’s good to point out. Like why else would they make it a mobile only game honestly. It’s one of the most loved and played PC franchises of all time.

The second was recent in Hearthsone and that was the tactic to release Wild packs into the store not long after a surprise patch hit. This at first glance doesn’t seem like they correlate but if you properly look at it. These packs were asked for many times over the years and they decide to release exactly that just after something huge impacted the meta with no notice.

Some would say it was a distraction to give players something good to say about Blizzard. Which is exactly what happened. At the same time Blizzard makes some extra cash in the process.

The other way you could look at it is that they foresaw the reaction the player base because it’s not hard to figure out that if you make huge changes without telling anyone , it’s going to annoy a bunch of people.
That players will want to give wild a try because they fed up with standard. Well just so happens we were given that opportunity at a price.
It’s not difficult to make up these card pack deals. We’re given plenty of different ones. So why all of a sudden we finally after all this time of asking, we get a wild pack deal? I just can’t see it as a coincidence honestly.

Sorry for the wall paper it’s a complicated topic
no unstoppable OTK

https://youtu.be/gFEXM7Vl2VY

Try playing against that !@#$.
01/18/2019 06:16 PMPosted by xFoobs
Good thing to take note of:

In the Activision controlled Blizzard out of all the Blizzard games, Hearthstone is the only with set release times for content.
It was set into place once they got rid of the adventures and set the precedent of saying there will be 3 expansions every year.
This does a few things for the company:
Investors see the set income the company will make 3 times a year. No other game under Blizzard has that set amount of income besides subscriptions from WoW.
This allows Blizzards other titles to work more freely with their content because the company is financially stable because of Hearthstone packs. Ie Overwatch has no set release times for anything because they don’t have the pressure of making money fast. Which lets them spend more time of developing new characters maps etc.
Similar to Starcraft
Similar to Hero’s of the Storm

These titles run the way they do because Blizzard is stable because of Hearthstone.

There have been many rumblings that inside the Hearthstone team that some devs are getting pushed the just fork out content before the deadlines regardless of its been properly gametested. Then with the CFO of Activision now at the helm of everything. This process unfortunately will only get worse.

This game and this company is in big trouble in the next coming year or so.
Putting investors in front of your players went under the radar for years but EA burst that bubble for all you greedy companies by taking it too far. Now players are aware of these greedy tactics and will just walk away from a franchise if they are being taken advantage of.
Hearthstone is and it kills me to say, going down that path for the main reason I mentioned above of just being pushed for quantity over quality to ease the mind of investors considering no other Blizzard title can consistently bring in money.

Sorry for the wall paper it’s a complicated topic
if only long term gain mattered anymore. They just want thier money fast and big until the game dies. Shame, I'll be watching this ship sink from a lifeboat folks!

In the meantime let's enjoy some more jade idols, mechathun, and time out shenanigans folks!
The game has a built in reboot. It's called the rotation cycle. They just need to hold themselves back from continuing to print non-interactive combos and far-too-powerful archetypes. The game automatically heals, and will be healing from the bull!@#$ DKs fairly soon.
Not a total reboot.

But there are some steps that could be taken.

Moving Dirty Rat to the classic set, slightly tweaking badly outdated evergreen kits like Shaman's, and re-designing evergreen cards that were unfairly nerfed WAY too hard would start to shake things up for the better.
Why would they ever add new classes when they have a hard time making all the classes they currently do have relevant.

I think small targeted monthly or bi monthly releases of a few cards to shake things up could be good if they can manage to get it right.
Changing how standard rotation works would make a tri-annual reboot possible instead of every two years:

Every set rotates out EXACTLY one year after being in standard

Done. I would love this so much. Oppressive stuff gets cycled out regularly and gives the lower power level cards in a rotation a REASON and a place in the meta. I think that is all this games needs
First you have to learn that the game is meant for the mobile community first and tournament second. All the money they make is form the mobile players not the PC or the tournament players. they are just becoming more and more of a mobile game company because that's where the money is at. The only allegiance they owe is to their share holders to make them the most profit they can.

The least amount of money they have to spend with the highest return will always win out. They have zero incentive to rotate the evergreen set, which is what they need to do. This next rotation will be the big test. There are now legitimate competitive format online CCG that you can play besides HS. The tournament scene will have an even bigger test with how much more MTG is giving away online.
01/18/2019 07:15 PMPosted by Swift
Not a total reboot.

Moving Dirty Rat to the classic set, slightly tweaking badly outdated evergreen kits like Shaman's, and re-designing evergreen cards that were unfairly nerfed WAY too hard would start to shake things up for the better.

Sure, let’s bring Gadgetzan back with Jades, Kazakus, Drak OP, and all the other BS cards that horrid set had.
Nope - but we need a new, better balanced classic set.

They should really re-evaluate every card in that set (including default cards for every class) and form a new standart meta by doing so. They could fix some very obvious flaws like giving priests fairly balanced aoes (like Lightbombs) so that they don't have to provide new crazy aoes for them in every new rotation (and at the same time overdoing priest's power in wild where they almost drown in crazy field spells now).

01/19/2019 12:08 AMPosted by Marcoscongas

Sure, let’s bring Gadgetzan back with Jades, Kazakus, Drak OP, and all the other BS cards that horrid set had.

Do you even read man?!
He said "Dirty Rat", not the whole set. I think that everyone who lived through this meta would agree that the set was horribly high above the power curve while - at the same time - introducing one of THE best cards in the whole game (that rat).
01/18/2019 05:36 PMPosted by Excism
That would be financial suicide for blizzard. No sane company would ever do something that irrational unless the product’s sales as a whole are already far below what they want them to be.

The CFO was just let go because they are already at that point look at the stock.

Not balancing and using polarization as an excuse for a lack of balance is driving them there faster than they could ever imagine.

There rock, paper, scissors approach to each of their titles is killing them. Blizzard has failed to understand that SKILL vs SKILL is what drives competitive games. It's the single reason why blizzard has failed at making all their titles an Esport.

It's a lesson they refuse to learn at great cost.
01/19/2019 12:08 AMPosted by Marcoscongas
01/18/2019 07:15 PMPosted by Swift
Not a total reboot.

01/19/2019 02:13 AMPosted by Fallen
01/18/2019 05:36 PMPosted by Excism

The CFO was just let go because they are already at that point look at the stock.

Not balancing and using polarization as an excuse for a lack of balance is driving them there faster than they could ever imagine.

There rock, paper, scissors approach to each of their titles is killing them. Blizzard has failed to understand that SKILL vs SKILL is what drives competitive games. It's the single reason why blizzard has failed at making all their titles an Esport.

It's a lesson they refuse to learn at great cost.
couldnt have it better myself. THIS thread should be sent to upper management, lots of good ideas and thoughts in here guys!
No
01/18/2019 06:16 PMPosted by xFoobs

Definitely want to emphasize this, it's very true.

Companies haven't realized it yet, but the age of cash grab games and mobile gaming is on a limited lifeline. The market is absolutely flooded with low quality cash grab games and as gamers, we're well aware of it. When we look for a new game to try, it's one of the first things we look at. When I recommend games to friends, they ask me "is it P2W?".

There is a huge opening in the market for quality games that put gameplay first. Countless gamers are just floating around looking for such a game and very few even exist. At first glance they might sound less profitable to a company like activision, but then think how did games like WoW or the original Final Fantasy series becomes so massively successful? By having passionate developers who loved gaming and wanted to tell an epic story and share an adventure. We'd happily throw money at something like that.
LoE, Orig, OG's were the best times for hearthstone.
Ever since August 2017 when Death Knights came in the game deckbuilding has been warped. Like the warped tour w Blink 182 back in the day.

Control Warrior losing it's ID when FWA got deleted bc it 'boxed out' other 2 cost options for Warrior. Like DK rex doesn't 'box out' anything over 6 mana for Hunter's Blizz? C'mon man.

Would be so great if we had the option to give away our collection. Not sell for money. I'd give away my whole collection right now if I could Blizz, it sucks to see cards just rot forever until this game dies some year, i'd at least like to idk give the 200 on my list a couple cards each, or even better metaplayers who copy decks and don't deckbuild...sort of like a tip after the match saying "here use this to get faster internet / phone so your next look-up is a few seconds faster, us deckbuilders who use harder cards intentionally do the respectful thing for hearthstone".