Do you think Hearthstone needs a complete reboot?

Play Mode Discussion
01/19/2019 12:31 AMPosted by GetSchwifty
Nope - but we need a new, better balanced classic set.

They should really re-evaluate every card in that set (including default cards for every class) and form a new standart meta by doing so. They could fix some very obvious flaws like giving priests fairly balanced aoes (like Lightbombs) so that they don't have to provide new crazy aoes for them in every new rotation (and at the same time overdoing priest's power in wild where they almost drown in crazy field spells now).

01/19/2019 12:08 AMPosted by Marcoscongas

Sure, let’s bring Gadgetzan back with Jades, Kazakus, Drak OP, and all the other BS cards that horrid set had.

Do you even read man?!
He said "Dirty Rat", not the whole set. I think that everyone who lived through this meta would agree that the set was horribly high above the power curve while - at the same time - introducing one of THE best cards in the whole game (that rat).

So you admit the set was hugely above the power curve while simultaneously wanting to bring ONLY one of its most OP cards, so you can beat up on archetypes that are vulnerable to it running on Raven power level cards.

A little hypocritical, as the game would need to power creep to Pirate Warrior level aggro required to balance out the strength of Dirty Rat. So please let’s leave Gadgetzan to Wild.
Ragnaros fireballs didn’t count as RNG?

No OTK? Warsong commander, hello? 4-mana Leeroy combos? Forceroar?

It’s fine to be nostalgic, but please try to be accurate.
01/19/2019 07:44 AMPosted by Mand
Ragnaros fireballs didn’t count as RNG?

No OTK? Warsong commander, hello? 4-mana Leeroy combos? Forceroar?

It’s fine to be nostalgic, but please try to be accurate.

You always seem to miss the crux of the issue.

Player's don't mind a degree of RNG in a match, what they hate is the match being decided at the start by what class you were matched against.

You can't have a competitive game where who you are matched against decides who wins. The winner should be decided during the match not before it's begun.
I would like to see a Cataclysm theme. Let Deathwing destroy everything and start over.
Not if you like a game of patterns and little thinking. If you like a game where you know the outcome from the start (matchup percentages)

Then all you have to do is play the game to get that "stage" pf the game when you know victory is certain...then Hearthstone is great. Its game where no skill or thinking is required. Its a game of "I get to bone you over at turn X haha sit back and watch game".

For example we all know this part.

"HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY! DK REXXAR IS ON HIS WAY!!!!"

https://imgur.com/a/whPT58j

Always there at turn 6 f you want to play him then. Maybe turn 7 as you have Zilliax on turn 5 (ALWAYS) to sustain you and then maybe another board wipe on 6 (here's that matchup part Mossy Horror vs Odd Paladin).

https://imgur.com/a/5a9x2cM
and now with the certainty DK Rexxar at midge you get to make poisonous taunts (just what you need to survive) then make lifesteal minions (just what you need to come back and win).

So if you love game that is programmed to do the work for you - then Hearthstone is your game. .0000001 strategy and 0 skill to do.
not a complete reboot.

I'd like to see them rotate Classic out into wild... and install a Core Set that rotates like every 2 years. it doesn't have to be all new cards either. there could be a portion of Core Set... say like 30% that is designated to reprints. For those who don't play wild it would give them a chance to bring some old cards out of the mothballs and also save some money on buying packs (those who were smart not to dust them anyway)
Hearthstone could improve greatly by changing how cards cycle out of the meta faster by only having the last calendar years of cards in rotation only not two years worth.

Example...

Year of the Raven Witchwood, Boomsday, and Rastakhan's would be the only ones in play right now. Because every one of the Mammoth have already cycled out of rotation.

Also there can be changes to the Classic cards at each year and cycle out cards that don't meat meta standards and replaced by new cards or even older cards from past sets. As MTG does this with their core sets all the time.
01/19/2019 08:56 AMPosted by Zademus
I would like to see a Cataclysm theme. Let Deathwing destroy everything and start over.

so kill the game and start over
like it was done with magic duels
thats a terrible idea
I remember in Vanilla if My wife was watching over my shoulder i could give her a rough description of what was happening.

Last month she asked again and I tried explaining how my opponent was spamming all their cards in order to use a MechaThun and I realised she didn't have a chance of following the tedium laid out before her, hell it was boring enough for me to talk about it.

So we watched netflix instead
01/19/2019 08:18 AMPosted by Fallen
Player's don't mind a degree of RNG in a match, what they hate is the match being decided at the start by what class you were matched against.

Dude, with all due respect .. The most common thing I see in this forum is people complaining and whining about RNG ...
The funny thing is that IDK how people expect to change that when you are playing a CARDS game to begin with lol
a complete reboot, no

a rework of most mechanics and the basic+classic set, yes
I don't agree that vanilla was the best meta, but the current meta is a boring grind to me. It's just become a chore even to do dailies and I'm sorry that I can't provide more constructive criticism except that I think Blizz went far awry when they got greedy and dropped the thoughtful, smaller expansions for 3 large drops a year and $$$$
I would like to see them move away from the current class system and look at something a little more flexible. Also, they need to find new game modes that don't revolve around 1v1 constructed. Finally, finding a way to develop 2v2 would also be great as its not something available in many online CCG's.

So, yes IMO Hearthstone needs a shot in the arm. Its simply not as enjoyable as MTGA right now and the game still has many improvements yet to be implemented.
Opponent draws 4/6 ambushes one turn after playing the second Fal'dorei Strider, with 27 cards left in the deck.

You give us a worthless video about how pro's avoid tilt...well how about making your annoying game less annoying, rather than trying to teach us all how to deal with being annoyed by it?
01/24/2019 07:43 PMPosted by Gibs
I would like to see them move away from the current class system and look at something a little more flexible. Also, they need to find new game modes that don't revolve around 1v1 constructed. Finally, finding a way to develop 2v2 would also be great as its not something available in many online CCG's.

So, yes IMO Hearthstone needs a shot in the arm. Its simply not as enjoyable as MTGA right now and the game still has many improvements yet to be implemented.

Yep the mana-color system and allowing the mixing of it allows a lot more freedom and interesting decisions in Magic. For instance right now I am playing a tri-color Rakdos deck (which I found out is considered an Aristocrats deck) and I am paying for less consistency to gain access to white cards for Rakdos and sacrificing. It just works a lot better because the player dictates, to a better degree, how they want to design.

Yes, MtG at it's worse has had metas as bad as what HS is currently enduring but at it's best it allows for players to bring a lot of professionalization into decks because the color system (and volume of cards) adds a lot of ability to customize decks to your liking.
01/18/2019 08:35 PMPosted by fingrknitter
Changing how standard rotation works would make a tri-annual reboot possible instead of every two years:

Every set rotates out EXACTLY one year after being in standard

Done. I would love this so much. Oppressive stuff gets cycled out regularly and gives the lower power level cards in a rotation a REASON and a place in the meta. I think that is all this games needs

Every set release means totally new meta.

You should be Blizz CEO soon.
01/24/2019 01:53 PMPosted by ZeroCrit
Hearthstone could improve greatly by changing how cards cycle out of the meta faster by only having the last calendar years of cards in rotation only not two years worth.

Example...

Year of the Raven Witchwood, Boomsday, and Rastakhan's would be the only ones in play right now. Because every one of the Mammoth have already cycled out of rotation.

Also there can be changes to the Classic cards at each year and cycle out cards that don't meat meta standards and replaced by new cards or even older cards from past sets. As MTG does this with their core sets all the time.

In general this might be not a bad idea, but MTG proven that it wouldn't work. They tried rotation twice a year and very quickly went back to old system of yearly rotations. Players simply wanted some level of stability and protection of their investments.

Three biggest problems:
1. The cards are in standard for too short period of time. This discourages players to invest as most of the cards are going to rotate too soon.

2. When rotation happens too often and meta changes too radically, decks might go out of favour very quickly. This hits F2P and budget players definitely too much.

3. With only 3 expansions at time , the cardpool will be dominated with Basic and Classic sets. So, either expansions would have to outpower those sets or meta would be dominated by Classic, despite quick rotation.

On the other hand I agree that Classic (and Basic to an extent) is an ongoing problem for the design team. I believe that with the change to 3 expansions per year Classic set should have been retired and at the same time Basic updated.
I think hs needs a new design team
WOW Classic will fail because it caters to a small number of whiners who didn't like how fancy it got.

Same thing with OP's suggestion.

Companies have to stop catering to the .005%
The first metas where kinda boring compared to the complicated and refined decks we had 1 year ago (raza and cube lock,pre nerf quests). Since last year deck design has taken
a step back again imo but its still better then what it was like in first year.