Why I play OTK

Play Mode Discussion
Gul’dan and Jaina.

I start to beat my opponent down and it looks good, I get them down to single digits after 4-6 board clears. Then the DK comes in and it’s an auto loss. It’s absolutely soul crushing to see them dropped when you have been ahead on tempo and not overextending to play around the board clears the whole game.

I might have played Cube Hunter instead but I opened from packs almost the whole Clone Priest deck list.
Why can't the Death Knight cards be as good of legendarys as millhouse mana storm, huh?
01/28/2019 06:12 PMPosted by Marcoscongas
Gul’dan and Jaina.

++ and the mayor of Valuetown himself, Rexxar
But then that's why the exist. Because Jaina and Guldan are meant to be so that control would not be purely reactive and lose from the start. If control players are on a forced timer against OTK, so should aggro and OTK be forced against Board Filler and finishers. All this time people bashed on control and fatigue because these were so called not valid win conditions. Then when Shudderwock, Nzoth, Guldan, allows an otherwise purely reactive deck to punish those who are supposedly faster than the slower control deck to unsuccessfully breach through the countermeasures of control, that's when the game is done.
01/28/2019 08:01 PMPosted by ThinIce
But then that's why the exist. Because Jaina and Guldan are meant to be so that control would not be purely reactive and lose from the start. If control players are on a forced timer against OTK, so should aggro and OTK be forced against Board Filler and finishers. All this time people bashed on control and fatigue because these were so called not valid win conditions. Then when Shudderwock, Nzoth, Guldan, allows an otherwise purely reactive deck to punish those who are supposedly faster than the slower control deck to unsuccessfully breach through the countermeasures of control, that's when the game is done.

They are overturned for their purpose, which is why they are favored against Warrior. With nerfs to Zoo and Odd Paladin control decks in general should become less defensive. It’s also this circumstance of reduced early game aggression in this meta that’s allowing for such a high proliferation of combo/OTK decks, combined with a proliferation of strong defensive tools and card draw in the last few expansions.
01/28/2019 07:25 PMPosted by NeonBlue
Why can't the Death Knight cards be as good of legendarys as millhouse mana storm, huh?

millhouse is actually one of the best designed legendaries.
Just for the reason that you can not just put him in a deck.
Legendary cards that only add up to a decks powerlevel are extremely bad design.
Unfortunately thats the kind of card the dumb as crap timmy players especially like.
And activision wants to sell us more cards.
Deck of 30 legendaries? sounds expensive. let's make it happen.
And yea, the DK are a perfect example for overpowered and universally applicable legendaries.
when those stupid cards are played by your opponent, it is as if they were playing a wholly different game.
and there is not one fricking thing that would make playing a dk punishable by any means.
you play the dk you profit. no exceptions.
whoever designed that crap can go to hell.
You opened a few packs, so you basically had to build it because of their content?
You poor soul. We should collect, so you can afford a decent mid range deck.
Yeah yeah, you're a hero OP.
Whatever makes you feel better I guess ...

About Jaina and Guldan: Can't say how many games I've won against them. Granted, both should have been nerfed a year ago but they're seriously not "auto-loss".
01/29/2019 12:25 AMPosted by BillDoor
You opened a few packs, so you basically had to build it because of their content?
You poor soul. We should collect, so you can afford a decent mid range deck.

What midrange decks are good against vampire Warlock and Mage?

Let me guess... Warlock and Mage with vampire Death Knights!
I run Defile, Hellfire, Godfrey, Shadowflame.

Which is NOT EVEN CLOSE to
2× shield slam
2× reckless flurry
2× supercollider
2× brawl

or 2× dragon's fury
2× blizzard
2× meteor
2× flamestrike
(and polymorph, in case the mage player is a clever player).

I have to tune my AoE damage carefully throughout the game because Gul'dan DK ain't gonna play himself.
I'll also have to cut Abyssal Enforcer for Thaurissan, as the demon pollutes my Voidcaller pool.
My Voidlord could be Devolved or Polymorphed any moment, if not Entombed.
I haven't unpacked a single Twisting Nether in 4 years of play.
Trust me, Control isn't a straightforward playstyle
Gul’dan and Jaina.

I start to beat my opponent down and it looks good, I get them down to single digits after 4-6 board clears. Then the DK comes in and it’s an auto loss. It’s absolutely soul crushing to see them dropped when you have been ahead on tempo and not overextending to play around the board clears the whole game.

I might have played Cube Hunter instead but I opened from packs almost the whole Clone Priest deck list.

You play OTK because you like to win without even playing anything, just survive until you got a combo, just admit it. OTK needs to go.
Gul’dan and Jaina.

You raise a good point frankly. While I think most of the DK cards are fun, it’s hard to argue that they are some of the most powerful cards ever to be released and that they’ve helped give rise to these types of strategies.
01/29/2019 02:47 AMPosted by Kampfkeks
Gul’dan and Jaina.

You play OTK because you like to win without even playing anything, just survive until you got a combo, just admit it. OTK needs to go.

Control does the same thing without the combo? What, you think literally waiting for your opponent to die of boredom is better then OTk?
Gul’dan and Jaina.

I climbed from 10 to 5 with Odd Warrior in September and November. I hated facing off against the vampires, and I absolutely despise Skulking Geist as a result.
01/29/2019 04:27 AMPosted by Haunter187

Control does the same thing without the combo? What, you think literally waiting for your opponent to die of boredom is better then OTk?

Yep because control decks often do not run cards which can directly be interacted with, like lich king or perhaps big class legendaries (tirion) or Jan'alai to seal the game.
When a warrior plays dr. boom he ofcourse expects that card to win the game by dealing 30+ damage in the next few turns his minions do not matter.
Right.
Gul’dan and Jaina.

The warlock and Mage DKs are the same as what you just described.
01/29/2019 05:14 AMPosted by Marcoscongas

I climbed from 10 to 5 with Odd Warrior in September and November. I hated facing off against the vampires, and I absolutely despise Skulking Geist as a result.

I, too, am hoping they reduce power levels post rotation. There's a good post by J Alexander about it on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/akifqu/hearthstone_is_at_its_best_when_resources_matter/

Board states are too often completely irrelevant in the current meta.
01/28/2019 09:20 PMPosted by Marcoscongas
01/28/2019 08:01 PMPosted by ThinIce

They are overturned for their purpose, which is why they are favored against Warrior. With nerfs to Zoo and Odd Paladin control decks in general should become less defensive. It’s also this circumstance of reduced early game aggression in this meta that’s allowing for such a high proliferation of combo/OTK decks, combined with a proliferation of strong defensive tools and card draw in the last few expansions.

This comes and goes with the meta and is not definite. Aggro will always have the edge of draws and openings because they are naturally designed to play low cost openers. You play OTK, that's why I play Aggro. Then it all goes full circle. Do you see my point?

Aggro can turn into midrange if you need more value to go against greedy control decks. That's the reason why midrange even exists. It's designed to be slower, but naturally they are built with more stopping power using heavier and greedier cards to last a couple more turns per card than what a one drop would do. The obvious downside is losing tempo against aggro matchups but that's a different topic.
that moment when u hat eop DKs but u also hate combo decks and simply miss the times when ppl actually played minions
Gul’dan and Jaina.

Yep pretty much. My friend who made rank 7 last month can't win this month so he is to the point he just wants to make the best screw over annoying deck possible even if he only wins 40% of the time.

https://imgur.com/a/z4F6bxD

^ I did the daily and decided I want to try and make 10 or 20 gold vs complete 2 quests in 2 days for a pack. My Opponent?

Ah yes Secret Hunter.

Ah yes 2 secrets before turn 5.
Ah yes On turn 5 play Spellstone.
Ah yes on Turn 6 play Dk Rexxar.
Ah yes for everything I put out now you have Deadly Shot
Ah Yes Bittertide Hydra Super god monster for the win, with Huffer summons and Rhok next round

You know what? After this game I log out and take 2, 3 or whatever days just do the dailys and buy back slowly over time. This is to flipping boring to do for some meager gold each day. So I would make a Mecathun deck right there with ya cause yeah - all the crap 1 2 3 RNG decks may as well just do the spa cheese of da supa cheese.

SMork. Yep.