Anybody else getting really sick of OTK decks?

Play Mode Discussion
It seems like for the past year, ever since Knights of the Frozen Throne gave us Raza Priest, every meta has had some sort of really powerful Tier 1 OTK deck that's made it so control decks are basically unplayable.

In KOFT-Kobolds pre-nerf it was Raza priest
In Kobolds-post nerf to Witchwood pre-nerf it was Cubelock
From Witchwood to Rastakhan's rumble pre-nerf it was Druid
Now, there's like 3 Mechathun decks that are viable, 2 OTK paladins, cloning gallery priest, and cubelock (again).

Throughout the whole year, control decks have been relatively unheard of. This "control" priest deck that uses mind blasts as a finisher is hardly a control priest, it's basically a midrange combo deck. If you want to play Odd warrior you *need* the quest or else you auto-lose to a combo deck or a DK. And control shaman only existed as a platform for a Shudderwock OTK. For more than a year, every slower deck you play has to have a burst finisher or else you will lose, and I personally am so bored of it. I was content with just waiting until the rotation for these combo OTK decks to hopefully phase out of standard, but with the strength of Holy Wrath paladin and the fact that the whole deck stays in standard, I question if Blizzard ever intends to bring control back.

I just wanna know, though, is this just me? Is anybody else getting really sick of this kind of Hearthstone?
I am but I'm not sure we consider OTK the same. I don't like decks where drawing the entire deck is an automatic win. Mecha'thun, Holy Wrath, endless Fireballs, multiple copies of Malygos, decks that do 25+ damage while simply drawing, clearing and healing are not fun.

I've played them all and I don't enjoy that strategy at all. I used to play Holy Wrath when it was a meme and maybe one in ten games it worked. For the two years I've been playing, these decks were usually tier 4 at best. Now that there are multiple OTK decks moving up the tier list, something needs to be done. Sooner than the rotation if the devs expect me to pre-order or ever spend money again.
This is what happens when agro is as weak as it is. You end up with a never ending string of control vs control, so the control decks start cannibalizing each other. The traditional combo decks have been gutted, so you put the old, crappy combos into control decks because hey, it's not like you needed your 8th board clear anyways.

It should really speak to players when Holy Wrath and Uther are two of the best OTKs in the current meta. Two OTKs that have been around for ages, yet have never been even close to good enough to make a splash. These are the OTKs that are terrorising the current meta.
It is because their creativity has hit the bottom of the barrel. It also nets them the most money in the long run because of the cards you need to pull it off and people spend money to get said decks.

Just stop playing ranked it is not worth the frustration
not really

i get to play most of my cards vs those decks
OTK decks are ruining the Hearthstone experience.
OTK decks need more counters like dirty rat to keep them in line. Otherwise they’ll just dominate and the meta becomes non-interactive.
Play Wild, run Dirty Rat & Loatheb.

The more complaining about cards I hear, the more I get convinced that Standard was a mistake.
Well Blizzard stopped printing high value, noncombo, late game minions.

Where is the last Ragnaros or Dr. Boom like card?

Lich King?
Raza Priest and Cubelock are OTK decks? What...

And regarding Odd Warrior... you can't complain about polarization against it and completely disregard how it also works in your favor against Aggro/Midrange.

And calling Control Priest a midrange deck... you never played as say, Odd/Even Paladin, Odd Rogue or Hunter against it, have you?
Control Priest is simply much more proactive than most sit-back-and-do-nothing-but-remove fatigue Control decks. Maybe that's why it's Tier 1.

You're concerned Holy Wrath Paladin may retain most of its tools post-rotation? The same could be said of Odd Warrior, which will also lose very little and is just as polarizing, if not more.
01/28/2019 03:28 AMPosted by Orzel

Lich King?
so very true. Honestly I think blizzard has designed thier game to push out fatigue decks.
Hearthstone needs to get back to its roots of minion combat. Not cheating out guys and insta winning otk decks. Only arena represents the game of hearthstone right now. Standard is an otk / hunter / priest fest and wild is who can summon barnes on t4.
The problem is weak aggro. You can only lose so many times to the vampire Mage and Warlock DKs before you take up the OTK route to be able to finish them off.
01/28/2019 01:16 PMPosted by Urza
Hearthstone needs to get back to its roots of minion combat. Not cheating out guys and insta winning otk decks. Only arena represents the game of hearthstone right now. Standard is an otk / hunter / priest fest and wild is who can summon barnes on t4.

Yes please.
01/27/2019 06:24 PMPosted by nyseK
control decks are basically unplayable

Throughout the whole year, control decks have been relatively unheard of.

midrange combo deck

lol
01/28/2019 01:16 PMPosted by Urza

I couldn't agree more.
Yes and yes. I hate OTK. OTK used to be something you had to actually work for. Now players just have to cough up random control cards until their combo shows up.
It really depends on how combo decks are designed. For ex were C' thun decks combo decks?
Maybe if you consider each little buff in c thun as a combo piece. Still the decks were fun to play with or against cause they kept the basic minion combat style of Hs with a few controll elements.
Now its more of board clear, board clear, heal, heal, gain 100+ armor win the game. And thats unfun.
01/28/2019 06:43 AMPosted by splintertwin
01/28/2019 03:28 AMPosted by Orzel

Lich King?
so very true. Honestly I think blizzard has designed thier game to push out fatigue decks.

The problem isn't the killing of fatigue decks.

It's the killing of strong independent 4-8 mana minions. This weakened classic midrange and classic control decks.

The game is 50% tempo decks and combo-control decks. So every other deck has to go under the tempo decks, compete to go over it and otk, or just run every strong leg or epic minion it can.
01/27/2019 08:27 PMPosted by Archvile
OTK decks need more counters like dirty rat to keep them in line. Otherwise they’ll just dominate and the meta becomes non-interactive.

No.
They need more counters like pirate warrior, aggro paladin and face hunter.
Not something that you can put into decks which are meant to be hard countered by them!