Ranked Ladder Is Getting Easier

Play Mode Discussion
The number of wins to ascend ranks between 50 and 10 is being trimmed up.

As of next month:

Rank 50 - 16 only requires 3 stars per rank.
Rank 15 - 11 only requires 4 stars per rank.
Rank 10 - 1 stays 5 stars per rank.

https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/6386-hearthstone-ranked-play-changes-coming-february-a
I literally just created a thread about this lol. It amazes me why they don't post updates on their own forums and I often forget to check news.

As for the discussion, I gave up on caring about ranked and I play maybe 2-3 games a day at the most. I hope this change sparks some desire for me to climb. I don't want easier matches. I do want some way to climb and feel accomplished within the confines of the limited games I play. Maybe this will help!
01/25/2019 07:27 AMPosted by Zademus
I literally just created a thread about this lol. It amazes me why they don't post updates on their own forums and I often forget to check news.

As for the discussion, I gave up on caring about ranked and I play maybe 2-3 games a day at the most. I hope this change sparks some desire for me to climb. I don't want easier matches. I do want some way to climb and feel accomplished within the confines of the limited games I play. Maybe this will help!
Yeah, I'm not particularly concerned with rank given my limited play time as well. Maybe this'll prompt me to push to 10 each month instead of 15.

Or it'll just make my run to 15 even faster, lol.
I posted this yesterday. Think it will be a good change, maybe I will actually play ranked for more than the 5 wins to get my cardback.
harder the climb, more rewarding each win is along the way, not just the end-result.

This is why floors (besides the one safety net for rank 20's) are really unrewarding for climbing. This is just a small change in that same direction.

Imagine if winning one match got you legend. its extreme, but that's the direction of these changes. wouldn't make that one win very-rewarding would it.

Floors bad, 20-10 boost bad, all this says "were lowering the achievement".
netdecks and easier ranks, that's not good for the game.
01/25/2019 07:18 AMPosted by Wardrum

As of next month:

https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/6386-hearthstone-ranked-play-changes-coming-february-a

I haven't played ranked at all this month. I've been so busy lately but I plan to chill and get some games in later. I am really glad to see they are balancing the ladder a bit, though.

It feels good (heals and feels!) to be back in every sense of that phrase.
01/25/2019 09:19 AMPosted by Gwyneth

As of next month:

I haven't played ranked at all this month. I've been so busy lately but I plan to chill and get some games in later. I am really glad to see they are balancing the ladder a bit, though.

Feel the heals 'cause they're hittin' fo realz despite my many opponents' appeals, you bet it's goin' down and I'm gonna win when those heals and feels prop up my Healadin.
Why did Blizzard INCREASE in the first place?
Try to discourage people stay at rank 20?

Instead, more people are at rank 20 !
No one even bother with rank 15.
01/25/2019 09:22 AMPosted by Wardrum
01/25/2019 09:19 AMPosted by Gwyneth

Feel the heals 'cause they're hittin' fo realz despite my many opponents' appeals, you bet it's goin' down and I'm gonna win when those heals and feels prop up my Healadin.

Careful...your privilege is showing! :D
01/25/2019 10:14 AMPosted by Gwyneth
01/25/2019 09:22 AMPosted by Wardrum
...Feel the heals 'cause they're hittin' fo realz despite my many opponents' appeals, you bet it's goin' down and I'm gonna win when those heals and feels prop up my Healadin.

Must...

Resist....

Video....

Quoting...!
01/25/2019 09:10 AMPosted by Thorodan
This is why floors (besides the one safety net for rank 20's) are really unrewarding for climbing

01/25/2019 09:10 AMPosted by Thorodan

netdecks and easier ranks, that's not good for the game.

Kinda weird that you complain about netdecks at the same time that you complain about one of the things that encourage people to experiments with non-meta decks on ladder (rank floors).
01/25/2019 10:19 AMPosted by Wardrum
01/25/2019 10:14 AMPosted by Gwyneth

Must...

Resist....

Video....

Quoting...!

Yes. Yes. Let the quotes flow through you.
I thought a consistent 5 was fine as is.
Where do you get rank 25-50 from?

When I read that tip on loading or where ever it is that says "There are 50 ranks plus the legend ranks" I thought they just meant Wild+Standard.

My friend just started playing and he started at 25, and you cant lose stars at that rank so how do you access 50-25?

Sorry if dumb.
01/25/2019 03:16 PMPosted by Eyan
Where do you get rank 25-50 from?

When I read that tip on loading or where ever it is that says "There are 50 ranks plus the legend ranks" I thought they just meant Wild+Standard.

My friend just started playing and he started at 25, and you cant lose stars at that rank so how do you access 50-25?

Sorry if dumb.

Ranks 50-26 are the new player ranks that they introduced back at the beginning of October to help new players get started:

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/22546493/update-12-2-october-2-hallow-s-end
I thought is was like that already or I must be remembering the past...

As of next month:

Since when are there 50 ranks? I always thought there were only 25 ranks and that 25-20 were only for new players. I didn't think it was possible to drop below rank 20 again after the first time you achieved it. Did something change?
01/25/2019 06:09 PMPosted by CeruleanSky

As of next month:

Since when are there 50 ranks? I always thought there were only 25 ranks and that 25-20 were only for new players. I didn't think it was possible to drop below rank 20 again after the first time you achieved it. Did something change?

With the All Hallows eve update in October, they created ranks 26-50 strictly for new players. Once you get to 25 you can never go back. The rewards are pretty nice, 3 Classic packs for each 5 rank milestone and 2 classic packs and 2 packs from each of the 4 most recent releases when you reach 25.
01/25/2019 06:29 PMPosted by Kyleabos
01/25/2019 06:09 PMPosted by CeruleanSky

With the All Hallows eve update in October, they created ranks 26-50 strictly for new players. Once you get to 25 you can never go back. The rewards are pretty nice, 3 Classic packs for each 5 rank milestone and 2 classic packs and 2 packs from each of the 4 most recent releases when you reach 25.

Thanks for the explanation! I wasn't aware of the changes. I'm glad they are reducing the stars next month, though. I've had no motivation to climb rank since they changed it to five stars across all ranks. Way too much grinding to be worth the time!
I find it harder to climb but that's because it's so deathly dull that most matches are an endless trudge towards a pre-determined conclusion