10 days to rank 25, then only meaningless losses

New Player Tavern
I started playing Hearthstone just before the New Years Eve, so after 10 days and some money spent (welcome bundle, winter pack and a few packs here and there, not much, tbh), I have reached rank 25. Until then I lost a game from time to because I was not paying attention or so; and also I suffer from really bad luck in any games that include RNG.

After rank 25 I have started meeting people that have been clobbering me with insane amounts of rare, epic and legendary cards (my mage set doesnt have any purple/orange, my priest has 2 epics - MOTHs!!!) - where do I go from here?

The highlight of this was a dude rank 25 - his deck was all gold! Including legendaries.

So my question is simple - why doesnt Blizzard include a dust amount check to the rank matchmaking? I will give it a few more tries, but I am not becoming a Blizzard f....ing sponsor. I am not a wallet warrior, and I do not intend to fight them either.
I started playing about a week before you. I'm at rank 18. I made a hunter deck 960 dust which served me well to rank 21 then I kep winning 2 losing 1. Switched to a odd paladin deck only 4600 dust and thats sent me on a good win streak.

Past rank 25 you need people that stay in rank 25-20 to clobber noobs.. But every deck you can win with. Just slow down and analyse every play and try to anticipate what your opponent is going to do.

Stick with it. You might want to craft a few rares / epics. What's your deck?
The all gold guys could be whizbang, that requires only one gold legendary. Youve spent more money than me, itll get better. Did you get the free death knight from the solo mode and 2 kft packs, open 10 packs of every expansion for the guaranteed legendaries. Just grind the quests everyday, learn the cards. If your smart enough it will get better. Besides at rank 25 you cant lose stars. You will make rank 20 where the real ranking starts.
Also note you get many freebies by completing the hidden quests, leveling up each class etc.

Also relax, its been 10 days, Rotation in April will cause a big shake up. Ensure you only buy cards that dont rotate.i.e. the witchwood onwards
It happens. My best advice is to just play the game and have fun, stop worrying about what rank you are and focus on improving your card collection and game knowledge. Rank 50 to 25 is not a good representation of actual ranked play. Once you get past Rank 20, that's when the real grind starts as someone else mentioned. Don't get discouraged, we all lose and get crap luck more often than we want to.
once u get out of the newbie ranks, u need to start looking at a copy paste meta deck of your own. I use the 960 dust midrange hunter deck also, and currently rank 14, i will link you to the deck and a site u want to get familiar with below. so how you want to play that deck is play aggro vs control decks and play control vs aggro decks till u have board control and then go aggro.(hearthstone wiki should explain what those terms mean)

https://hsreplay.net/decks/Q0a3jsY9mD2UjOxg7TDvQf/#tab=overview
There are a lot of youtube vids showing current budget decks that you can craft that work well. And I don't mean like odd pally, legit sub 2k dust decks. Granted, they are pretty much mostly aggro though.
It has been a month. And one realization has come to me in that time - it is a copy-paste game. It is not about creating decks and having fun with cards you have. It is the fun of crafting cards someone else says you need to play the same s---t everyone else does. And buying packs to get the dust to do so.

I am so damn bored now by all the same hunter decks. Absolutely OP cards coming in the same order, no brain input whatsoever. Slap, smack, 4 wolves, Rexxar and you can happily jerk off a monster every damn turn.
02/01/2019 11:00 AMPosted by Dread
it is a copy-paste game. It is not about creating decks and having fun with cards you have
It can be. It doesn;t have to be.
And yes, you do not control the decks your opponents play, or the opponent the games chooses for you. But you do control the decks you play.

Want to get the best win chances against currently popular decks? Then you can try to find sites that publish good counter-decks and copy them. But you'll need to keep doing this because the meta does change over time.
Want to get creative? Then start building your own decks, and since you know the decks you most commonly face you can try to build a deck that has some good answers to those.

PS: Next week, several cards will be nerfed. This will definitely affect the popularity of some of the currently very common hunter decks.

PS 2: If you really want way more variety, try your hand at Arena.
I am so damn bored now by all the same hunter decks. Absolutely OP cards coming in the same order, no brain input whatsoever. Slap, smack, 4 wolves, Rexxar and you can happily jerk off a monster every damn turn.

Hunter spellstone contributed to why I quit the game a few months ago. It is getting nerfed in a few days. That will help, a little bit. Everyone feels your pain.

The Hearthstone devs are making better decisions lately, but it takes them at least a year to figure it out.
Well yeah ... let's be realistic here: If you play more than one deck for the first months you are screwed. You have to invest all you got into one class.
Also: This game is almost crushingly bad for new players. Everyone who can't accept a lot of losses in the beginning really shouldn't play - that's the sad truth :-/
02/03/2019 01:33 AMPosted by GetSchwifty
You have to invest all you got into one class.

That's a typical mistake.
You have to invest all you got into one class.
That depends on what your goals are. If you aim to reach legend in (fill in unrealistically short time goal here), then going all-in on a single deck could be the best choice.

However, if your aim is to enjoy yourself and gradually learn to get better and better at the game, then I suggest the exact opposite. Don't focus on a single class, be very hesitant to spend dust, and just learn to play the game, the various classes and the different mechanics first using mostly the cards you already have, before deciding where to specialize and where to spend your dust.

Everyone who can't accept a lot of losses in the beginning really shouldn't play - that's the sad truth
But isn't that the case for all competitive sports?
I am so damn bored now by all the same hunter decks. Absolutely OP cards coming in the same order, no brain input whatsoever.

Agreed completely, I long ago stopped playing against hunters. One other totally hated deck is the stupid brainless shaman, empty the deck, self-destruct minions, destroy enemy hero. Where's the enjoyment in it? Where's the sense of achievement? Where's the skill? It's just boring, pointless, m@st^-ba!ion.
That is normal, either get a deck with a proven high win rate, carry on hammering away pointlessly or give up on ranked.

I gave up last month even on the card back as five ranked wins at 24 is far too onerous.

I am back to 25 now and very much doubt I will ever play a ranked match ever again.

At least playing trash casual every 3 days you can get a glimpse of why you would play this, playing ranked there is no reason at all.

It isn't even as if the game is based on skill, what skill is there in cutting and pasting a deck and playing the cards in a specific order?
02/03/2019 04:30 AMPosted by BigHugger
Everyone who can't accept a lot of losses in the beginning really shouldn't play - that's the sad truth
But isn't that the case for all competitive sports?

Not in the least, they will be set up by ability and other factors relating to the sport.

A flyweight will never face a heavyweight, a 10 years old footballer/rugby team won't face a 25 years old one, a formula one car will never race a stock car, someone who can't run 100m in less than 11 seconds will never be put into a competition with those who can.

Because they have weightings and classes, and most spectators want to watch a competition not a bulldoze, that the sport itself doesn't want to waste its time with matches that are so mismatched they are ridiculous.

All of which Hearthstone ignores and simply goes for the win/loss ratio that causes a log jam at rank 20 where bad players with overpowered decks battle each other to win one game, lose one game, win one game, lose one game, ∞.

Anyway, why are we referring to Hearthstone as a sport? It certainly isn't anything of the kind.
01/10/2019 12:13 PMPosted by Dread

So my question is simple - why doesnt Blizzard include a dust amount check to the rank matchmaking?

Money and the most powerful card the credit card. To encourage you to spend more by showing you what you dont have by not spending more money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7733xc/so_activision_just_patented_bad_matchmaking_to/

The mental gymnastics crowd will tell you that it's not p2win because skilled players make cheap decks that hit legendary all the time everyday, ez , or some other silliness to avoid criticism. Really though it's justify how much they've spent on "digital packs", with false scarcity, that lets them show their "skill".
One thing, guys, I love this thread as quite a lot of sensible answers have come up here! Thanks for that - and I also enjoy the down-to-earth approach I have myself. And furthermore - you mostly confirm my conlusions as well.

So, since the last time I actually broke my word and built a hunter deck worth about 1200-1400 dust (didnt want to break any rare/epic cards to craft moles) - aggro deck just to test it - not much fun tho. Still I get matched up really often with guys that out-dust my deck in first two rounds. So I am trying to find amusement in giving these people hard time while playing decks without a single epic/legendary card (mage/hunter).
A month and a week update...

I am rank 15 now, basically not able to move forward, even if I win sometimes, I lose stars even quicker.

Ranked games are total BS now. I keep bouncing of people with competition level decks - odd pally, even shaman, odd mage (unlike me unfortunately with Ragnaros and bunch of other stuff I do not have, except for Baku) and sh--tload of hunters.

Casual is basically the same - I own three (!) playable legendary cards - unfortunately, not usable together - Baku, Hagatha and that big shaman frog which I am too lazy to look for now. So even though my deck can seem good, it is not and I am really getting tired of being beaten really badly - like my last game - my common based deck vs even warlock beating me to death with 2 giants and Lich King - thank you very much.

Why, after a month and owning just a fraction of cards - even though I have spent some money on my collection, do I have to play decks featured on YouTube by !@#$% playing gold-only decks?

I am back to a really bad place with this game right now. I was much better off at the bottom of the ranked.

I know that those ppl on the other side of the game are laughing really hard when they beat me, saying: "What a loser this guy is. Plays Baku and cant win with it." - Well, newsflash, sh--thead: I dont have anything else to play.
I think a key thing is to manage expectations and realize RNG can be really frustrating in system that also is hard on F2P players. I'm also a new player. Btw, I like the blog style updates keep them coming :)