10 days to rank 25, then only meaningless losses

New Player Tavern
02/11/2019 01:05 PMPosted by Dread
I am rank 15 now, basically not able to move forward, even if I win sometimes, I lose stars even quicker.

Ranked games are total BS now. I keep bouncing of people with competition level decks - odd pally, even shaman, odd mage (unlike me unfortunately with Ragnaros and bunch of other stuff I do not have, except for Baku) and sh--tload of hunters.

I am a F2P, and I used to play a lot few years ago. I pretty much stopped because of work, and not having enough time to go for high Ranks anymore. I used to always be in between Rank 10 to 3 (never got the Legend tho). And it takes a LOT of time and grind to get there.

Now, due to time constraints, I stopped playing competitively, and just playing for the fun of it. 2-3 Games a day during my lunch breaks at most. And even with that, I still manage to get to Rank 12 by the end of the month. Most of the decks that I play now, is just purpose build for completing daily quests.

Like a Discard Demon Worlock deck for any quests related to draw, discard, demons, low mana minions and Warlock related wins. It is a fun deck, that can beat most other agro decks. It is not meant for winning, but it can, and when I do, most of those agro copy/paste hunters rage at me for playing a BS deck :D That is my joy from this game right now. Beating those copy/paste decks, and then seeing them Rage at me.

I also have a troll deck that I like. A Mill+Taunt Rogue. It is another joy to win with it, and see the Rage when they add you after the match. Due to all the Taunts and N'Zoth I can go infinite Wall, OR, due to Coldlight Oracles Overdraw just mill my opponents to death. It works really well against all the control and combo deck. And if I get good early game Taunts, even Aggro deck have no chance.
The downside, that yes, it is a Wild deck. And it might be pretty costly for newer players.

Here are a few of the games against those mindless hunters:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/doMYZnNgpcgBDKCHPrpzwj - Mill Win
https://hsreplay.net/replay/agwbaeFipw6EZHgpxXB9Ze - Wall of Taunt win.
02/11/2019 01:05 PMPosted by Dread
A month and a week update...

I am rank 15 now, basically not able to move forward, even if I win sometimes, I lose stars even quicker.

Ranked games are total BS now. I keep bouncing of people with competition level decks - odd pally, even shaman, odd mage (unlike me unfortunately with Ragnaros and bunch of other stuff I do not have, except for Baku) and sh--tload of hunters.

Casual is basically the same - I own three (!) playable legendary cards - unfortunately, not usable together - Baku, Hagatha and that big shaman frog which I am too lazy to look for now. So even though my deck can seem good, it is not and I am really getting tired of being beaten really badly - like my last game - my common based deck vs even warlock beating me to death with 2 giants and Lich King - thank you very much.

Why, after a month and owning just a fraction of cards - even though I have spent some money on my collection, do I have to play decks featured on YouTube by !@#$% playing gold-only decks?

I am back to a really bad place with this game right now. I was much better off at the bottom of the ranked.

I know that those ppl on the other side of the game are laughing really hard when they beat me, saying: "What a loser this guy is. Plays Baku and cant win with it." - Well, newsflash, sh--thead: I dont have anything else to play.

Youve done well, but until the passage of time where you can gather more resources, no shame in rank 15. Also its a floor so even if you lose heaps doesnt matter so you can grind to develop you resources and game.

Also rotation with the new set in april WILL shake things up where you dont have to deal with 3 olds set of OP stuff you had no access to.

So chill out until then.
hi, i kinda enjoyed reading this thread (well, for the most part ;)) so i decided i'll add my .02 as well, since, as a new player who's only been playing for maybe 5 weeks i feel like i am in pretty much the same spot, however.....

but let's start off right in the beginning - first time i dowloaded HS was actually a few years ago, after crafting an f2p aggro/burn mage i quickly got bored and deleted the game

...5 weeks ago it somehow popped up on my appstore and i decided to give it another chance, and i immediately fell for it to be honest

started in standard as majority of other player, about 10 days into the last season, i went on a braindead decision making and crafted a Zoolock from the cards i had plus from those i dusted from few years ago

little did i know what the meta was and that Zoolock was in a very VERY bad position in the hunter-flooded meta :)
nevertheless, coming from a competitive MtG environment i KNOW that player skill is important in card games, so i made it my personal challenge to get as high on the ladder as i could with whatever deck i had - The Zoolock.
i must have played a ton of ranked (and unranked) games, but as a result of that i came to know my deck in and out and over the time i've somewhat understood the other decks in the game too and learned how to play with all the strengths and weaknesses depending on each particular matchup

by the end of the season i was rank 9, took about three weeks, little less than that

at the end of the season i was SO bored with the standard meta and it's obnoxious repetitiveness that i've decided i'll quit HS again, but then i discovered WILD :)

...so i started again - dusted all cards i didn't need (again) and built another deck (again))), but this time i at least took the smarter route of reading few articles about wild meta and decided the best thing i could do was to build Even Warlock, i had the most cards for it already (because i only played warlock in standard) and it only needed one Legendary to be working (quite a few epics tho),
so, 5.5k dust later, here i am, climbing the ladder in wild this season, and probably sticking to wild from now on, simply because it's not subject to rotation and unless the heavy nerfs hit, i can basically play any deck i like for as long as i like.

right now i am rank 5 (keep in mind i've only started 5-6 weeks ago) and pushing hard towards legend, but i have to admit that the meta past rank 5 is much more narrow than i would expect in wild, and what's worse, i found out that my Evenlock is (again) not in the best position :)

so, what am i trying to say is - the cost of the deck is not the ONLY thing that's affecting your ranking, sure, a solid expensive decks will probably have cards which are more impactful compared to budget decks, but still, the overall consistency and interaction of the cards in the deck are way more important than its plain cost, that's one thing,
and another thing is - player skill matters, HS is NOT a p2w game by any means, and i can prove this by all those games vs 2-3x more expensive deck than mine is i beat on the way to rank 5, simply because the guys i was playing again either misplayed, or simply had a bad draw/luck.

so to sum this all up, any decent deck (yes, go and netdeck one that's already proven to be working if your aim is to climb ladder) will get you to rank 10, if you can't get there it's definitely not because your opponents have more expensive decks, as if that was the case, they wouldn't be stuck at rank 25 where you were when u faced them, it's because they outplayed you

accept it

analyze your matchups and plays

master your deck

become a better player with YOUR deck ;)
Hearthstone is a !@#$ game unfortunately. And blizzard dont care. so keep trying until you get as frustrated with it as most do and stop playing. People keep saying RNG. If you actually take the time and see how many times a card is drawn or is in your mulligan the odds are astronomical, yet they always seem to show up. It's algorithms designed in to the game to frustrate you and make you want to buy more packs.
I am back with another newsletter from a "newbie" player.

Headlines: HS proven as P2W beyond any doubt/ RNG sucks

So it has been now 7 weeks. I actually devised a devilish plan a few days back - I bought several packs (and got "lucky", as I opend three legendary cards - none of them playable, though). Dusted the cards, crafted that damn songbird Janlai for my odd mage deck alongside with a few more cards I was missing (none of them epic). To my big surprise, the deck started performing much better and I have gotten more wins (but not against - long list of super professional decks featured on youtube headlined by odd pallies). Still - the investment brought better odds of winning. Therefore - P2W! ;)

I still lose basically immediately after hero cards are played (I do not own any except Hagatha. And I would slap myself silly for dusting the warrior mech hero card when I started playing - I did not have any use for it - stupid me, stupid, stupid Dobby!). Damn those rookie mistakes and beginnings when I needed to craft at least some common cards. That hurts a lot =( I should have done some more reading about the game. Well, water under the bridge.

And more about RNG. My luck generally sucks when it comes to lotteries and games. I hate board games. I actually have scientific evidence based on World of Tanks. This game is total hell. Sometimes it throws me a bone, but most of the time it just screws with me beyond measure. I cannot count how many times I played a random effect that got me a 2/1 murloc and the other guy got a legendary moron that gives cards.

And last headline - Tavern brawls have been totally !@#$ty for past two weeks. Unbelievably unbalanced. I hate you this week ROGUE deck.
02/19/2019 03:52 PMPosted by mybenedetto
Hearthstone is a !@#$ game unfortunately. And blizzard dont care. so keep trying until you get as frustrated with it as most do and stop playing. People keep saying RNG. If you actually take the time and see how many times a card is drawn or is in your mulligan the odds are astronomical, yet they always seem to show up. It's algorithms designed in to the game to frustrate you and make you want to buy more packs.

That drives me crazy as well... I throw a card away and - here it comes again, or I draw it turn 1 or 2 again. 1 Baku in the deck. I mulligan it from my hand, turn 2 its back. YAY!
02/22/2019 12:41 PMPosted by Dread
So it has been now 7 weeks. I actually devised a devilish plan a few days back - I bought several packs (and got "lucky", as I opend three legendary cards - none of them playable, though). Dusted the cards, crafted that damn songbird Janlai for my odd mage deck alongside with a few more cards I was missing (none of them epic). To my big surprise, the deck started performing much better and I have gotten more wins (but not against - long list of super professional decks featured on youtube headlined by odd pallies). Still - the investment brought better odds of winning. Therefore - P2W! ;)

How does that make it P2W is beyond me... Opening card packs and getting better cards is part of a Card game. And having strong cards would make your deck better, and give you more chances of winning. But just because you can buy those packs, does not mean its P2W. There are plenty of Free to play players (like me), who have been playing for a long time without spending any money, and can get those cards without needing to spend money. And I can easily craft any card I want, and create any deck I want. And I can just as easily compete against all of those people who payed hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, and beat them.

02/22/2019 12:41 PMPosted by Dread
I still lose basically immediately after hero cards are played (I do not own any except Hagatha.

You can get 1 for free just for playing Frozen Throne Prologue in solo adventures. If you are lucky, you might get FLJ (I got Uther).
Well, it is rather simple, I am afraid. P2W, as opposed to F2P, entails that you experience sudden leaps in efficiency/winrate after spending money - thus gaining a benefit you would not have withouth whipping out your good old credit card. And since I paid, I have been winning more - can it be any simpler? Without the new cards, I would still be trying to laugh my opponents to death by a Janlai-less odd mage deck.

I played the prologue when I started - actually I do not remember which KFT legend I got, but I am fairly sure that I dusted it while being desperate for playable cards. AKA my aforementioned rookie mistake.
How does that make it P2W is beyond me... Opening card packs and getting better cards is part of a Card game. And having strong cards would make your deck better, and give you more chances of winning. But just because you can buy those packs, does not mean its P2W
Exactly.
I'd describe Hearthstone's commercial model as "pay to advance faster". Spending money saves time.
(Sorry for making two posts, your response appeared after I had hit the submit button on my previous post)

02/23/2019 03:06 AMPosted by Dread
P2W, as opposed to F2P, entails that you experience sudden leaps in efficiency/winrate after spending money
No, P2W means that paying gives you an advantage that you can only get by paying. In Hearthstone, there are features that you can only get by paying (e.g. certain cardbacks or certain alternate heroes), but they do not affect gameplay. All features that do affect gameplay are available without paying - it just takes more time to grind the gold and dust to get there.
As I stated above - paying saves you time and effort, but I (on my four-year old F2P account) can draft the same deck if I choose to. I have saved enough dust and gold by investing my time. You invested money to get there faster.
And I can easily craft any card I want, and create any deck I want. And I can just as easily compete against all of those people who payed hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, and beat them.

From the number of posts you have done in the forums, I presume you are a seasoned veteran of the game with a vast collection of cards. Unlike me, so please save your condesention. I am very happy for you, but I do not have the same benefit (and most other new players dont have it either). I cannot make any deck I want withouth wrecking half of my collection. And because I am catching up with the rest (ppl like you), and see the enormous gap, I occasionally have to pay2win. That is how it is. Or I can play odd pally/midrange hunter, like the rest of the drones.
As I stated above - paying saves you time and effort, but I (on my four-year old F2P account) can draft the same deck if I choose to. I have saved enough dust and gold by investing my time. You invested money to get there faster.

I get your point. You have been with the game since the beginning and we are in a spot where we understand P2W in slightly different terms. You take it in its literal meaning - and again - I do not disagree with you.

But try it from a different perspective - a new player - small collection and matching system is totally random/broken (call it whatever you want). Your matchups are (I spoke about it at the beginning) impossible to beat, you get hammered by legendary/epic cards into a pulp. So buying some packs and spending money equals winning (and maybe beating people who do not invest - and I pressume they leave the game soon enough). You call it a shortcut - because you are in a different place atm - the rest of the new players (and you can see it often in the forums) just understand it as P2W (even though it might be a bit figurative or for you - inaccurate).

A sidenote: I do not belittle the importance of skill/experiance with the game which I do not have. I get that a very experienced player could probably do much more with my decks than I can. But still you have to see things sometimes from the point of a person dropping 1/4 apes against 1/4 "gimme a taunt guy" turtles and yettis vs giants.
02/23/2019 03:22 AMPosted by Dread
So buying some packs and spending money equals winning (and maybe beating people who do not invest - and I pressume they leave the game soon enough).

It is not so, but you are free to believe anything because you are not going to check it with your own experience, right?
02/23/2019 03:14 AMPosted by Dread
From the number of posts you have done in the forums, I presume you are a seasoned veteran of the game with a vast collection of cards
Four years in, give or take. Most of the forum posts are from the last year though. Collection is quite good but not "vast" - since I never paid a penny and didn't spend enough time each day on the game to really get a lot. With more time (or more money), I would have had more, no doubt. But I've got enough that I see no reason to complain.

Unlike me, so please save your condesention
I don't think my words are condescending, but if they came across that way then please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.

I cannot make any deck I want withouth wrecking half of my collection. And because I am catching up with the rest (ppl like you), and see the enormous gap, I occasionally have to pay2win.
I agree with all of this except the last three letters. I understand your pain. But I still maintain that it's a choice between spending money to win NOW or playing for free and winning LATER, making it pay to progress faster instead of pay to win.
02/23/2019 03:22 AMPosted by Dread
get your point. You have been with the game since the beginning and we are in a spot where we understand P2W in slightly different terms.

The argument that - "you played from the beginning and can't possibly understand how hard it is to catch up" was used since game was 3 month old.
I joined HS when game was 1.5 years old. And hundreds of people who started even earlier than I did complained how everyone and their dog has Ragnaros and Doctor Boom, and its impossible to win a single game. They kept complaining - I kept playing. Those people are long gone - I am still here, and now I am "the veteran".
02/23/2019 07:45 AMPosted by SSD
It is not so, but you are free to believe anything because you are not going to check it with your own experience, right?

I have checked it with my own experience =) and I have told you so...
I don't think my words are condescending, but if they came across that way then please accept my apologies. That was not my intention

I guess I was a bit touchy there, so my apologies too. My bad...
02/24/2019 04:27 AMPosted by Dread
I have checked it with my own experience =) and I have told you so...

Sorry, I must missed your post where you told "I bought a lot of packs and now I always win".
Hey a month and a week rank 15 is pretty good.
I was only rank 17 or 16 my first month in...and now 2 months and 2 weeks later I'm one star from rank 2!
It gets better,..just complete quests grind out your wins for gold collect bonus at end of month get some new packs dust the garbage craft the good and keep improving.
Good luck!