lets be honest even/odd

Play Mode Discussion
those cards are never going away right ? a recycled mechanic from gvg what should be a fun gimmick people try when they are bored blizzard made staple decks for the last several sets seasons of card releases and probably until it rotates out in what another year ? LOL good luck with that

a gimmic that gives an old hero power that blizzard rotated out and made people pay dust / gold / real money to get back

it isn't going away is it ? I am pretty much done again thanks to piece of sh!t recycled mechanics blizzard refuse to even look into, at the very least it should auto discard even / odd cards you happen to discover/draw.

don't know why I even came back, I guess "you guise have phones!" that's why games aren't allowed to go beyond turn 7

maybe they will nerf it right as it rotates out like they have in the past lol

/rant
...Recycled mechanic from GvG?

There were no deckbuilding mechanics in GvG, and if you mean Justicar Trueheart’s upgraded hero powers, that was from TGT snd played out hugely differently due to being on a 6-cost minion with vulnerable stats rather than having access in the early game. There is no recycling.

Now, I’m not saying it’s a good mechanic, as it leads to extremely repetitive gameplay, but it’s important to ground our criticism in reality.
Kinda worried that even and odd decks will dominate in the future as well. At least it won’t be dominated by DKs and Deathrattles.
I'm don't know even if there exist a way to nerf this.

Don't take it wrong but the mechanic is in fact okay for what it does but it just happened to be what tons of cards needed to see play.

Their power is that those decks instead of have a power spykes are consistent as a clock.

If your non genn/baku deck have a bad draw their hero power will beat you alone.
They aren't exposed to the same RNG that a normal deck is because their upgraded hero power will be always there.
01/12/2019 09:56 AMPosted by minami

they can make it more dificult to use for instance besides the deck building restriction only make it proc when you draw either baku or gen, and should restrict the discover pools to avide to the deck building restriction.
01/12/2019 10:03 AMPosted by LeMao
01/12/2019 09:56 AMPosted by minami

they can make it more dificult to use for instance besides the deck building restriction only make it proc when you draw either baku or gen, and should restrict the discover pools to avide to the deck building restriction.

I'm said nerf not delete the cards.

If you do something as a game start effect there is a reason that in this scenario is their consistency. Nerf it in this way has the same impact than put they in the trash bin and then you can't consider it a nerf unless you're a oportunist looking for a way to do what i'm said above.

And the discover nerf not even have a point because i'm can count in my fingers the cards from discover pool that mess with it more than the normal.

Actually even tarim not has any different effect than the main purpose of odd paladin and that is why that change is pointless.

If it isn't tarim it will be any other mass buff to beat you if let the tokens acumulate.

Don't take it wrong. I'm understand why you did think that. But the last nerfs where did exactly because of feelings and now we have more people frustrated than before.

So unless we want a non stop nerf wave we need to stop to nerf things just because we feel something about they.
Even/Odd decks are a great boon to deckbuilders, and should stay exactly as they are. Can they be a little overwhelming with some classes? Oh yeah... Are they overwhelming with all classes? Not really.

It's a mechanic that greatly rewards creative deckbuilding though. It basically says to the deckbuilder, "Ok, your hero power is modified. The drawback is you can't have these cards, however useful they may be to you. What can you come up with?"

And, they give all kinds of interesting options for Wild. Honestly, anyone who has Genn, Baku, or both. Read the next sentence. Both of those legendaries are fantastic beginnings to playing Wild on a casual level. Since you have more options for deck building.

I know some people might not agree. I personally think that the Even/Odd mechanic was a fantastic addition to the game. Now, all the legendaries in Witchwood that were like, "Here! Have this weird looking combo piece you may or may not be able to do something with!" I've got mixed feelings on those. Even/Odd was a fantastic idea. Although, I do wonder if the people designing cards now utterly hate Even/Odd because of the build around challenge.
01/12/2019 10:23 AMPosted by Emrakul
Even/Odd decks are a great boon to deckbuilders, and should stay exactly as they are. Can they be a little overwhelming with some classes? Oh yeah... Are they overwhelming with all classes? Not really.

It's a mechanic that greatly rewards creative deckbuilding though. It basically says to the deckbuilder, "Ok, your hero power is modified. The drawback is you can't have these cards, however useful they may be to you. What can you come up with?"

And, they give all kinds of interesting options for Wild. Honestly, anyone who has Genn, Baku, or both. Read the next sentence. Both of those legendaries are fantastic beginnings to playing Wild on a casual level. Since you have more options for deck building.

I know some people might not agree. I personally think that the Even/Odd mechanic was a fantastic addition to the game. Now, all the legendaries in Witchwood that were like, "Here! Have this weird looking combo piece you may or may not be able to do something with!" I've got mixed feelings on those. Even/Odd was a fantastic idea. Although, I do wonder if the people designing cards now utterly hate Even/Odd because of the build around challenge.

Believe me it is anything BUT the challenge of deckbuilding. Even and odd decks tend to be the same old same old after awhile because their hero power is so good (specifically rogue, Paladin and warrior)

I don’t see what is so creative about being limited to only odd or even cards.
People can pretend how genn/baku encourage deck building but most of the even/odd decks pretty much use the "best-in-slot" cards.

You will never see an evenlock outside of the standard build, likewise for odd pally/rogue and the others. The only exception is odd mage that by pure chance, has the cards to support both aggressive and control build.
01/12/2019 10:20 AMPosted by minami
Don't take it wrong. I'm understand why you did think that. But the last nerfs where did exactly because of feelings and now we have more people frustrated than before.

So unless we want a non stop nerf wave we need to stop to nerf things just because we feel something about they.

By that logic let's undo all the nerfs ever made and let ppl have all broken options at hand. Balance is hard to archive but not imposible, problem is the dev team feels restrained in their "creativity" when they do so and one of the big selling points of HS at the beggining was that being a virtual media balance changes could be archived fast when needed, and sure maybe what I proposed may make the cards trash level but then again they can and should adjust cards in a positive way too, sadly buffing no playable cards has never been something they do.
01/12/2019 10:43 AMPosted by jawsofwar
01/12/2019 10:23 AMPosted by Emrakul

Believe me it is anything BUT the challenge of deckbuilding. Even and odd decks tend to be the same old same old after awhile because their hero power is so good (specifically rogue, Paladin and warrior)

I don’t see what is so creative about being limited to only odd or even cards.
People copying other people simply shows that the fruits of Even/Odd will show themselves over the course of several expansions, not just one. In Standard, yeah, you're probably going to see a lot of copy cats. In Wild, you'll still see some copy cats. Over time, you are also going to see more decks that caused their creator to think outside of the box. That, is what's so creative about being limited to Even/Odd. Drawbacks encourage creativity, and can lead to awesome builds.

MTG has pulled this off for quite some time. Now, HS is attempting the same thing, and they've locked themselves into the commitment of making it work. This is a good thing for deck builders, as over time, with each new expansion, creative deckbuilding will be rewarded more.

Even if it is Wild that will see the benefits well before any benefits seen in Standard. Sure, I see how it can be annoying in Standard. But you should try Wild. :)
01/12/2019 10:49 AMPosted by LeMao
01/12/2019 10:20 AMPosted by minami

By that logic let's undo all the nerfs ever made and let ppl have all broken options at hand. Balance is hard to archive but not imposible, problem is the dev team feels restrained in their "creativity" when they do so and one of the big selling points of HS at the beggining was that being a virtual media balance changes could be archived fast when needed, and sure maybe what I proposed may make the cards trash level but then again they can and should adjust cards in a positive way too, sadly buffing no playable cards has never been something they do.

No. By that logic we nerf things that are really broken and not just because someone experience was bad.

Numbers not tell the whole history but people feelings are not any better at that.

Numbers exist to confirm people feelings and exactly now the history i'm see using both is that baku and genn aren't a problem in standard and will be solved by time itself at wild.

Next year we will still see a ton of baku and genn but most decks of this year will not survive and we will face a second generation of baku and genn decks at standard.

In other words baku and genn will continue but will also be reinvented next year.

After all they are like 18 cards and not just 2 .
01/12/2019 07:57 AMPosted by Tari
those cards are never going away right ? a recycled mechanic from gvg what should be a fun gimmick people try when they are bored blizzard made staple decks for the last several sets seasons of card releases and probably until it rotates out in what another year ? LOL good luck with that

a gimmic that gives an old hero power that blizzard rotated out and made people pay dust / gold / real money to get back

it isn't going away is it ? I am pretty much done again thanks to piece of sh!t recycled mechanics blizzard refuse to even look into, at the very least it should auto discard even / odd cards you happen to discover/draw.

don't know why I even came back, I guess "you guise have phones!" that's why games aren't allowed to go beyond turn 7

maybe they will nerf it right as it rotates out like they have in the past lol

/rant

I agree that the modified hero power is too consistent and powerful such that it actually limits the design space of classic midrange or aggro decks from being possible archetypes anymore. It opened up new archetypes, but I think in general, the power level of upgraded hero powers is too high.
Genn and baku have brought out cards that otherwise wouldn't see play.

Raid leader
Stormwind Champion
Freaking Frostwolf warlord
Personally, I think they're fine.