Hearthstone is not optimized

Technical Support
I can't believe this a game like hearthstone creates more problem for my computer than a high graphic games (games like cod runs smoothly with 140 fps). I enter the hearthstone game freezes couple of seconds before working again. collection menu always lags when you wanna switch pages , you open the friend list it lags etc.

It wasn't like this a year ago i think recent patches ruined the game optimization. seriously fix it. this is embarrassing.

Edit : it works much better after moving it into my ssd hard drive but still hearthstone shouldn't require ssd to work properly lol.
Agreed, the program runs way too heavy for how technically simple it is. It can't possibly be the graphics, textures and FX are nothing special, it has got to be script bloat.
01/26/2019 10:19 AMPosted by Beaky
Agreed, the program runs way too heavy for how technically simple it is. It can't possibly be the graphics, textures and FX are nothing special, it has got to be script bloat.

Yeah, agree

As the OP mentions in the edit when my Asus laptop was running the game on SSD it was fine. I gave my wife my Asus after she was having issues with an old mac and I went back to an older but still fairly powerful Alienware laptop that doesn't have a SSD and the hangups are back. It is such an annoyance >.>
Unity is super bad in the optimization aspect in exchange for its ability to port to multiple systems.
I've played it on some pretty low end computers and not had that many issues, but I might just be desensitized to it. I have head the unity engine in general has issues with optimization, which given blizzard has a bit of a tendency toward spaghetti code might be an issue?

Not really enough of an expert to know though.
01/26/2019 10:35 AMPosted by Ayandarial
I've played it on some pretty low end computers and not had that many issues, but I might just be desensitized to it. I have head the unity engine in general has issues with optimization, which given blizzard has a bit of a tendency toward spaghetti code might be an issue?

Yeah blizzard games always get un-optimized after several patches.

Overwatch for example was very smooth when it first came out and gave me 200 fps but now it gives me around 150 and will probably go down as time passes.
01/26/2019 10:38 AMPosted by Kamran
01/26/2019 10:35 AMPosted by Ayandarial

Yeah blizzard games always get un-optimized after several patches.

Overwatch for example was very smooth when it first came out and gave me 200 fps but now it gives me around 150 and will probably go down as time passes.

I remember when they messed with the bags in world of Warcraft and somehow broke just about everything else. I Love Blizz, I'll even go to bat for Blizz at times but damn they can give Bathesda a run for their money sometimes.
Totally unrelated to the topic, but I am no native speaker, so could someone please explain "they can give Bathesda a run for their money sometimes." to me?

While I play hearthstone (Blizzard) and Fallout4 (Bethesda) I simply don't get the meaning of the idiom. Thanks in advance.
01/26/2019 10:47 AMPosted by Lokisdottir
Totally unrelated to the topic, but I am no native speaker, so could someone please explain "they can give Bathesda a run for their money sometimes." to me?

While I play hearthstone (Blizzard) and Fallout4 (Bethesda) I simply don't get the meaning of the idiom. Thanks in advance.

Bethesda games are some what famous for not always working as intended, so I was comparing the two of them.
Blizz has dropped the ball and MTG is looking mighty good now. Imagine if we could answer certain cards during your opponents turn, what a GRAND idea. Off topic but had to throw it our there.
Thanks, I got that part, but I was asking more, how do you use it? Always quality? And if, who is better (or worse)?I read the sentence in a book once. The desribed scene was some fun karaoke event (not even a competition). And it went something like "A and B gave C a run for his money". So I was wondering, who was actually better. And no Leo online did not help.
01/26/2019 11:04 AMPosted by Lokisdottir
Thanks, I got that part, but I was asking more, how do you use it? Always quality? And if, who is better (or worse)?I read the sentence in a book once. The desribed scene was some fun karaoke event (not even a competition). And it went something like "A and B gave C a run for his money". So I was wondering, who was actually better. And no Leo online did not help.

To give something or someone a run for their money means that they are competitive or close in quality to the other thing being compared. It is often used deprecatingly.

So in this instance, Blizzards ability to glitch their own games is close to that of Bethesda. The idiom itself likely has to do with horse racing

ah yes well in your case C is the better person your basically saying "C is the best at this thing but A and B came very close to beating C" I hope that helps.
You can always use google or urban dictionary for these stuff Lokisdottir. I do the same.
Thanks for the help. It was a great explanation and helped me a lot.
01/26/2019 11:15 AMPosted by Kamran
You can always use google or urban dictionary for these stuff Lokisdottir. I do the same.

I have bad experience with google translate. But I will try urban dictionary next time, thanks.

To give someone a run for their money is to compete at their level.

If I wanted to run the 100m dash against Usain Bolt, he could bet against me with no concern, because I couldn’t even hope of winning. In such a fictional bet, his money would be safe.

Now if someone wanted to bet about something that I personally excel at, I may be able to actually win that bet and take their money.

In the context of this forum Bethesda is known for having code bloat, but Blizzard may actually ‘win’ if someone were to bet on whose was worse, therefore, they’d “give Bethesda a run for their money.”

The competition is implied as a way of comparison.

01/26/2019 11:01 AMPosted by Tohrin
Blizz has dropped the ball and MTG is looking mighty good now. Imagine if we could answer certain cards during your opponents turn, what a GRAND idea. Off topic but had to throw it our there.

MTG and Hearthstone are targeting different playerbases. The option to answer cards on your opponent’s turn (and for them to answer your answer) comes at the cost of time and complexity. It’s hard if not impossible to have a friendly ten minute game where each action has to turn initiative over to check for a counter.

HotS vs LoL or Dota2 is very much similar: cut out much of the customization and complexity, but ensure 20 minute games instead of hour to hour and a half ones.

In other words, it’s not a bug if it is a core design decision. The people who want 40 minute MTGA games may not be the same who want 10 minute Hearthstone games.
ah, i thought something was wrong with my pc, thanks for making this topic, op, i feel less alone now
01/26/2019 11:28 AMPosted by Shakou
ah, i thought something was wrong with my pc, thanks for making this topic, op, i feel less alone now

Nah as i said the reason for lags was that Hs wasn't in my ssd hard at first. so it is kinda pc issue but yeah hs should run easily on anything. they have to optimize it.
01/26/2019 11:01 AMPosted by Tohrin

???

mtg arena has higher system requeriments than hearthstone

dont know if they fixed it but last time i checked it wouldnt even work with integrated graphic cards no matter if the met the requeriments or not
and HS runs on 9+ year old pcs and its one of the few games letting you install on the SD card so older phones can run it too