People with t1 decks in casual mode

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
01/28/2019 07:44 AMPosted by Reid666
01/27/2019 10:06 PMPosted by Headspin

I had to concede 8 casual games yesterday at one point to try something out so that I wasn't against Odd Rogue, Odd Paladin or a Zoolock and that I feel... stinks.

And that's the problem with perception here, people see Genn, Baku or Rexxar DK and they scream Tier 1, where in truth those decks could be some random junk. Alternatively they could be just Whizzbang decks.

This is exactly true with Baku or Genn, you can have 1 Tier1/2 deck that you play on ladder, but you can also create 3-4 junky Odd/Even decks for other classes. Simple example, you play Odd Warrior on Ladder, then you can create budget versions of Odd Paladin, Rogue, Mage, Hunter, etc. Definitely missing many cards and not ladder viable, but decent in casual.

You mention Zoolock, well, this deck is no longer ladder viable in current meta. Maybe below rank 15, but after that it is just a disaster.

The truth is that a lot of people overreact and auto-concede, but if you auto-concede how did you know which deck were you actually playing against? And them they come to forums and write that "I had to concide 8 times" when they actually don't know what they were playing against...

Is close enough that when I am trying something that will not come off until turn 6-8 it simply makes no difference. Odd Paladin or Odd Rogue it tells you at beginning of game so um..yeah. And I think by now I can recognize a Zoolock tyvm. Patronize much?
01/27/2019 12:55 PMPosted by Headspin
It is a pain, particularly when they play every card like it should surprise you and take their time about it too.
The only way to surprise in this game is to play nonmeta, and nonmeta has no room in standard, nonmeta is totally unplayable in wild bc of it's synergies.

T1 decks are the expected. All difficulties. Rank 50, 20, casual, R2, Top-hundo-leg...it's all copy/paste meta into copy/paste meta.

Look at that recent tournament (where they know each other's cards pre tourney how gross) where like 3 ppl copied someones list immediately. It's so gross!

"hey I copied this deck, im playing it, what deck did you copy that you are playing into mine?" Lame defined no-doubt.

Hs is just a biiig search engine / YT seach into YT search. And devs don't consider this? Like they think ppl can't wait to log in and play search engine into search engine. Well devs, deck-source / did they deckbuild matters. That's a big part of hs, winning in hs is attributed to it, and most ppl skip it / build meta on their own. Where's the encouragement / design for nonmeta unexpected?

Arena? Used to be! Too bad its bucket / super-controlled-pre-show.

HS devs think everyone loves copied decks, facing them, not deckbuilding, not trying harder stuff.
01/27/2019 04:35 PMPosted by Wardrum
...This is a children's forum!!!

Truer words have never been spoken.

You guys are hilarious.

Truer words have never been spoken.

You guys are hilarious.
We aim to please.
I remember a looooooong time ago, during my teenage days in Yu-Gi-Oh! how we'd sit on a table and someone would say "Hey, dude, please don't play your Chaos deck, we'd like to have a little bit of fun with low powered decks for a while" or "Let's go all out, give me your best shot!" you see - that's casual.

Hearthstone's real Casual mode is when you sit with people in the same room, face to face and you talk in advance. Hearthstone's "Casual" mode is nothing but an MMR algorythm that pairs you with someone with a similar win/loss ratio to yours - not someone whose deck is the same powerlevel as yours.

I also get frustrated when I face constant meta decks in Casual so I feel forced to pull out my stronger lists but it's more of a "Hate the game, not the player" situation.

I mean, we know nothing about our opponents. They might BM because they're people of lesser sportsmanship or maybe they BM simply because they're frustrated with something. Their meta deck might be the only deck they currently have that can actually do something, or they're polishing their list for a local tournament.

We gain nothing from bashing on each other on the forums.
01/28/2019 08:37 AMPosted by BosSlayer
I remember a looooooong time ago, during my teenage days in Yu-Gi-Oh! how we'd sit on a table and someone would say "Hey, dude, please don't play your Chaos deck, we'd like to have a little bit of fun with low powered decks for a while" or "Let's go all out, give me your best shot!" you see - that's casual.

Hearthstone's real Casual mode is when you sit with people in the same room, face to face and you talk in advance. Hearthstone's "Casual" mode is nothing but an MMR algorythm that pairs you with someone with a similar win/loss ratio to yours - not someone whose deck is the same powerlevel as yours.

I also get frustrated when I face constant meta decks in Casual so I feel forced to pull out my stronger lists but it's more of a "Hate the game, not the player" situation.

I mean, we know nothing about our opponents. They might BM because they're people of lesser sportsmanship or maybe they BM simply because they're frustrated with something. Their meta deck might be the only deck they currently have that can actually do something, or they're polishing their list for a local tournament.

We gain nothing from bashing on each other on the forums.
This, so much this.

A lot of people are constantly searching for that "mutually understood approach to the game" format when honestly, that's exactly what a friends list is for.

Don't have friends? Quite a few people on here (if the complaints about meta decks are to be believed) would love to engage in some non-meta awesomeness! Don't feel like getting your friends from here? Go check out Hearthpwn, or even our discord so you can easily chat via voice or text with whoever you're up against in your non-meta matches.

The option to sit down and play cool decks with chill dudes and gals is still there, folks just have to be willing to take 0.001% of the effort they used to put into IRL ccgs and add some folks on Bnet to get it. Heck, you can even complete quests against friends now.
The option to sit down and play cool decks with chill dudes and gals is still there, folks just have to be willing to take 0.001% of the effort they used to put into IRL ccgs and add some folks on Bnet to get it.

I know, right? If some of these people sunk a fraction of the effort that they put into whining about meta decks and instead used that effort to building up their friend list ... well then they'd have a million friends by the end of the week with which to play all the meme and snowflake decks their heart desired.

But - of course - that would mean THEY would have to do some work and heaven forfend...
...nonmeta is totally unplayable in wild bc of its synergies.

I've been playing and facing a lot of interesting non-meta stuff in Wild Casual lately. It's the place to go if you have a play x number of y type cards quest, there is of course a larger selection of options in Wild. Additionally there is more of a surprise factor in Wild, because of this variety.
https://imgur.com/a/J24kblg

Yeah I have play 20 meek cards.

1st Opponent tweaked to the man top tier still one of the best decks in the game....

Odd Paladin.

Good times good times. What an exciting game and interesting daily mechanic.

12/20 played on to stomping game number 2 for 50 gold.

Game 2 OTK Paladin Opponent.
01/27/2019 02:48 PMPosted by Gwyneth
Why are there meme decks on ladder?
Why are there homebrews on ladder?
have you ever seen a meme or a homebrew deck in ranked mode? (at a decent rank of course)
01/27/2019 02:51 PMPosted by LittleSmall
What is wrong if I want to have some fun pawning some noobs in casual once in a while?
you're rank 20 so you're a noob too...
01/27/2019 03:33 PMPosted by shozis
Other possible reasons:
- practicing your deck before going into Ranked mode
- afraid to lose stars in Ranked
- Ranked anxiety
most of the players who play t1 decks in casual aren't in the top 100, they can't even reach the dumpster, they have nothing to lose...how can there be anxiety?
01/27/2019 04:11 PMPosted by Shuyin
Casual mode seem like a waste there is no reason for it to even exist.
agreed but when you have to play x pirates or murlocs, x class cards etc...it's the only choice
Several reasons, mostly quest related.

1) Quests needing me to win
2) I don't have any memes for whichever class quest is on. 18 deck slots is not enough to cover 9 classes.
3) You almost never see homebrews or memes where I am in ranked, and while I'd gander at 50% of the casual decks I see are T1/2, that still leaves me with a much higher chance at having a significant advantage aka much higher success rate in casual.
4) I do ranked if the quest hits a class that's strong at the time, but if it's something I don't already have a deck for and is t3 at best, no thanks. If I get a quest today to win 3 times with warrior, no thanks. The only deck I have already crafted is odd warrior, and going into this deathstalker rexxar / OTK ranked meta with that is a self-induced headache
5) I literally could not care less whether the other guy/girl is having "fun" or not. In 90% of hs games "fun" is synonymous with winning, and if he/she is winning I am not getting my quest done.
01/28/2019 08:04 AMPosted by Thorodan
01/27/2019 12:55 PMPosted by Headspin
It is a pain, particularly when they play every card like it should surprise you and take their time about it too.
The only way to surprise in this game is to play nonmeta, and nonmeta has no room in standard, nonmeta is totally unplayable in wild bc of it's synergies.

T1 decks are the expected. All difficulties. Rank 50, 20, casual, R2, Top-hundo-leg...it's all copy/paste meta into copy/paste meta.

Look at that recent tournament (where they know each other's cards pre tourney how gross) where like 3 ppl copied someones list immediately. It's so gross!

"hey I copied this deck, im playing it, what deck did you copy that you are playing into mine?" Lame defined no-doubt.

Hs is just a biiig search engine / YT seach into YT search. And devs don't consider this? Like they think ppl can't wait to log in and play search engine into search engine. Well devs, deck-source / did they deckbuild matters. That's a big part of hs, winning in hs is attributed to it, and most ppl skip it / build meta on their own. Where's the encouragement / design for nonmeta unexpected?

Arena? Used to be! Too bad its bucket / super-controlled-pre-show.

HS devs think everyone loves copied decks, facing them, not deckbuilding, not trying harder stuff.

build some new decks, change the meta. the meta is the meta because its the best set of competitive decks around I'm 100% certain its not the final conclusion as it stands.
Several reasons, mostly quest related.

1) Quests needing me to win
2) I don't have any memes for whichever class quest is on. 18 deck slots is not enough to cover 9 classes.
3) You almost never see homebrews or memes where I am in ranked, and while I'd gander at 50% of the casual decks I see are T1/2, that still leaves me with a much higher chance at having a significant advantage aka much higher success rate in casual.
4) I do ranked if the quest hits a class that's strong at the time, but if it's something I don't already have a deck for and is t3 at best, no thanks. If I get a quest today to win 3 times with warrior, no thanks. The only deck I have already crafted is odd warrior, and going into this deathstalker rexxar / OTK ranked meta with that is a self-induced headache
5) I literally could not care less whether the other guy/girl is having "fun" or not. In 90% of hs games "fun" is synonymous with winning, and if he/she is winning I am not getting my quest done.

You must be a wonderful person irl :D Well, part of the problem is most people don't understand the meaning of word casual. Winning should not be a priority in casual, fun should - trying out new interactions, using cards you don't normally use in ranked, trying hard-to-pull-off combos or RNG fests that leave you cackling.
It doesn't matter if you win in casual other than 10 gold every 3 games and if you REALLY can't complete your quests on ladder just take a minute and throw together a janky deck and go casual or wait a day. Just don't take odd war there for God's sake :D
I don't understand how anybody could equate winning with fun when you're clearly favored against decks that don't see ranked. That's like a martial artist fighting only people below his weight class and feeling accomplished when winning.
People who play casual any other way than casually are in my opinion insecure brats who need to have their ego fondled any way they can and just can't hack it in the ranked environment. No initiative to get better, no moral fiber.
I truly believe that the deck you play in casual tells much about your personality (and i will be taking your !@#$storm of downvotes now).
one solution might be a game-mode, where you get NO progress to your quests and NO gold whatsoever.
01/29/2019 12:50 AMPosted by FritzFrisbee
one solution might be a game-mode, where you get NO progress to your quests and NO gold whatsoever.

Another solution is for people to use the resources already available if they want a just for fun match or to bump out a quest, friends list, instead of introducing a mode no one will play or expecting ppl to live up to your 'standards' when playing in casual.

Sounds harsh, but it's true. I never struggle with the above coz I use my friends list liberally.
I dont get it either...ill never forget how i started playing HS last year first time and had to fight cube locks and big priests in sun mode....was very fun and interesting. Right now i have huge collection of cards and tier one decks but i go in sunmode only when iwant to have fun on some funny decks i make myself with cards i usually never play anywhere else. i dont see fun destroying new players or fun decks in sun mode with something i play in ranked
have you ever seen a meme or a homebrew deck in ranked mode? (at a decent rank of course)

Of course.
I'm rank 5 and I currently play Espionnage Rogue (and I don't even have all the "good" rogues card like Valeera or Vilespine).
My last game was Espionnage Rogue vs Odd Quest Priest. Come and tell me about the meta and how everyone plays the same thing in ranked.

most of the players who play t1 decks in casual aren't in the top 100, they can't even reach the dumpster, they have nothing to lose...how can there be anxiety?

Ever heard of "ladder anxiety"? You don't need to be "good" to be anxious about losing your rank.
01/29/2019 12:44 AMPosted by KCTH

You must be a wonderful person irl :D Well, part of the problem is most people don't understand the meaning of word casual. Winning should not be a priority in casual, fun should - trying out new interactions, using cards you don't normally use in ranked, trying hard-to-pull-off combos or RNG fests that leave you cackling.
It doesn't matter if you win in casual other than 10 gold every 3 games and if you REALLY can't complete your quests on ladder just take a minute and throw together a janky deck and go casual or wait a day. Just don't take odd war there for God's sake :D
I don't understand how anybody could equate winning with fun when you're clearly favored against decks that don't see ranked. That's like a martial artist fighting only people below his weight class and feeling accomplished when winning.
People who play casual any other way than casually are in my opinion insecure brats who need to have their ego fondled any way they can and just can't hack it in the ranked environment. No initiative to get better, no moral fiber.
I truly believe that the deck you play in casual tells much about your personality (and i will be taking your !@#$storm of downvotes now).

You sound real entitled. How does wanting to take the path of least resistance finishing my quests equate to having me "ego fondled"? And what on earth....deck you play in casual speaks to your personality?? It's a game mate, don't take it so seriously. Ranked has an in-built pressure that doesn't exist in casual and that is why most people go into the mode. It doesn't mean they want to win any less. And believe it or not people genuinely enjoy playing t1 decks (shocking ikr??). How is your enjoyment of the game any more important than theirs that you can claim an entire play mode?

PS: I happen to think I'm a lovely person tbh. Donate to charity and all that :D
01/28/2019 07:18 AMPosted by Monlyth
01/27/2019 02:20 PMPosted by Ace0Spadez83
Here is a challenge:

Open Hearthstone
Now, using any method within the game without altering it, do whatever you can to annoy me.

If you can irritate me for even a single second I will accept your stance as anything other than a you problem.
What kind of question is that? Annoying other players is easy. Play against you using a tier 1 deck, rope you every single turn, and spam emotes the whole time.

Here lies the issue. None of that would annoy or irritate me even a little. To me, you are still within the rules of the game and that is fine. Elaborated further:

I'd rather play your tier 1 deck than a bad homebrew, regardless of my own deck selection.

Your emotes mean nothing to me at all.

You roping improves my play by giving me either: more time to think (unlikely but possible) or more time to correct homework between turns (more likely).

To the opposite side who think none of this is okay though there is a common theme of saying "I personally don't like it so the rules need to be changed for everyone".

Analysing further:

This is casual mode. Even if the complaints made me think the opponent was literally from the other side of the Dark Portal, I could concede and re-queue without penalty.