I wish the clownfest era was over

Play Mode Discussion
If you open the blizzard client there is an article about 'how to stop tilting'.

The video shows an example about the player overdrawing a key card, and that that might tilt him.

You know, this actually requires some strategy. The opponent for example let a greedy played mana tide totem live, and gets rewarded. No reason to tilt.

Now, you know what is tilting?
Playing arena, your opponent being on the brink of losing, he trades his weaponised pinata, gets a lillian voss that create two soulfires for exact lethal. (Oh, there was a 33.33% chance he would discard it too)

A warrior, got access to cards from THREE different classes in a single turn, and i bet he took a lot of consideration in this play *shakes head*

Of course, complaints get downvoted into oblivion here. But i want this post to stand as a petition against all the random elements that invade this once great caard game. I hope to find some support in that thought.

*sighs deeply* ok, rant over....
I understand your point, but some decks / archetypes are just made like that, you hope that the RNG Gods will help your cause. I have a fun Shaman deck built around a big The Strom Bringer turn and the times it pulls me some dud are greatly compensated by the times it gives me crazy minions that'll charge, rush, attack minion when played, Gruul with a bunch of taunts, Lots and lots of crazy random stuff. Once I believe I pulled it to get the windfury charge legendary + Leeroy and got lethal just like that; to my oponent's demise. But this is just the way it is, sure when you get the short end of the shtick, it's frustrating ... But HS is a game where fun / disgusting stuff happens, depending on your PoV.

I don't know, if it was just straight curve out your best statted minions / spells / weapons it would be pretty boring, and as a whole, random mechanics aren't as oppressive as you make it out to be as the games you won where oponent evolved a Corridor Creeper into a 1/1 Hireek the bat you probably felt pretty good. I personnally dig that kind of turns of events where things don't go as predicted, otherwise what's predictable (as are all the tier1 and tier2 netdecks) becomes very quickly boring, for me at least.

If your complain is about design decisions it is a valid one, but I respectfully disagree. Crazy stuff happens and that makes HS a fun game.
As a counterpoint: sometimes, your own mistakes (like burning a key card because you got greedy) can be more tilting than the opponent getting lucky. And this isn’t even about different people: sometimes I get tilted by my opponent’s ridiculous luck, other times I’m just amused by it. Ditto for my own misplays.
Good players understand the role of randomness in a CCG and seek to use it to their advantage.

Bad players whine about RNG in forums.
01/10/2019 05:51 AMPosted by Markmasters
But i want this post to stand as a petition against all the random elements that invade this once great caard game. I hope to find some support in that thought.

I agree with less RNG involved, but really? "Once great card game"? I'm pretty sure in the past RNG was far more widespread and decisive (Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Yogg, Flamewalker, etc)

It's been very recent that it got toned down.
If we remove RNG, the only kind of powerful card we're left with, is going to be "reliable number generators" like emerald spellstone and heckin fungalmancer so no, thanks.
01/10/2019 08:28 AMPosted by blackveiled
If we remove RNG, the only kind of powerful card we're left with, is going to be "reliable number generators" like emerald spellstone and heckin fungalmancer so no, thanks.
This is a point that so many people forget about.

Remove RNG and you become 100% at the mercy of draw RNG and nothing else.

Don't tell me "but then it'll be all about skill, Wardrum!!" because in truth it'll be an even worse version of:

Did he draw his snowball, minion-buffing curve perfectly/before me?

Yup

Did I draw an answer?

Nope, guess I lose.

At least RNG effects provide for greater variance in matches than simply relying on drawing your ideal curve.
Losing streak today due to being out-drawn.

Rexxar turn 6 every game and Literally not drawing a single of my 6 aoes.

Game after game.
Oof, that's a tough one. Kudos to you for realizing it's RNG and not some Blizzard conspiracy, at least.

Personally, I like RNG. All card games have a random luck component, and the RNG cards keep things interesting.

I do think RNG needs to be dialed down in Arena, though. That's supposed to be a more tactically oriented, skill driven set of games.
Event + Response = Outcome

In this equation you have ZERO control over the Event and you only have moderate control if any towards the outcome. The question then becomes how do you want to respond? Do you want a Negative Response or a Positive Response? And yes how you respond does impact the outcome...
01/10/2019 07:21 AMPosted by TheRiddler
Good players understand the role of randomness in a CCG and seek to use it to their advantage.

Yeah, sort of. There is a LOT you caant "use to your advantage" though. many times either you or your opponent just get exactly what you need or you dont. There is no management of that. You are at the mercy of whatever RNG mechanic is at play like discovery, card draw, ping damage, etc, etc.
01/10/2019 07:00 AMPosted by Whoopya
Crazy stuff happens and that makes HS a fun game.
and when you lose with 0 misplay, several games in a row, it's far from fun
01/10/2019 07:21 AMPosted by TheRiddler

why don't you whine about rng then?
and when you lose with 0 misplay, several games in a row, it's far from fun

sore losers always hate losing no matter what
If you open the blizzard client there is an article about 'how to stop tilting'.

The video shows an example about the player overdrawing a key card, and that that might tilt him.

You know, this actually requires some strategy. The opponent for example let a greedy played mana tide totem live, and gets rewarded. No reason to tilt.

Playing arena, your opponent being on the brink of losing, he trades his weaponised pinata, gets a lillian voss that create two soulfires for exact lethal. (Oh, there was a 33.33% chance he would discard it too)

A warrior, got access to cards from THREE different classes in a single turn, and i bet he took a lot of consideration in this play *shakes head*

Of course, complaints get downvoted into oblivion here. But i want this post to stand as a petition against all the random elements that invade this once great caard game. I hope to find some support in that thought.

Soulfire has been around since day one. Is the fact that they came from card geneators really that much worse than Ragnaros fireballs? You’re also playing the new, power-controlled Arena that uses the bucket system, whereas before your drafts would simply be rarity-based with zero correlation to power of decks.

And none of that is even close to the variance caused by draw order.

Randomness is an inherent component to card games. You can make games without randomness, but they’re no longer the same genre.
01/10/2019 10:00 AMPosted by Mand

Soulfire has been around since day one. Is the fact that they came from card geneators really that much worse than Ragnaros fireballs? You’re also playing the new, power-controlled Arena that uses the bucket system, whereas before your drafts would simply be rarity-based with zero correlation to power of decks.

And none of that is even close to the variance caused by draw order.

Randomness is an inherent component to card games. You can make games without randomness, but they’re no longer the same genre.

I am not complaining about soulfire at all. My rant was about the fact that a warrior Obtained two warlock cards through a rogue card.

Honestly, I think random effects aren't always terrible. Prime example: Bone Drake. The power level can scale very much, from a deathwing when you are far behind, to a Yshera that you cannot answer while you are behind and makes you lose the game. I mean, even Yshera creates random cards.

BUT, these random cards are limited to what they can do. You at least know what pool of cards are about to come.

But personally I really think a class should never have the option of 'oh, here are a bunch of cards, completely conjured out of nowhere, not even being neutral or within your class. have fun and win the game with them'.

I mean, Obtaining DK's through a lucky random factor is still disgusting as well in my opinion in Arena.