Positive topics that you would like to see in this forum

Play Mode Discussion
A topic saying how sad are the players who use statistics to switch their initial hand.
More card and deck synergy discussions, especially focusing on the Legendary cards that aren't in the top tier decks that need some love. There are the discussions of possible synergies for each card during the card reveals but not all the cards are revealed yet so its not even a complete synergy discussion. Then after launch nothing, unless it made it into a top deck. I think threads focusing on one card could be really useful, discussing possible decks it would work in, fun card interactions, or crazy unreliable plays that aren't consistent enough but fun when they do happen to work. Like if I get X legendary in a pack, what can I do with it, even if just for a fun deck used for win games with a X class quests. Or, I got this legendary that is in the top decks but I don't have the 4 other legendaries used in those decks, what can I do with just that card. Maybe even cards form past expansions. Oh you got this useless legendary card 2 expansions ago that has just been sitting in your collection [not] collecting dust, well here are some interactions with newer cards people have come up with that make it actually playable.
01/10/2019 03:21 PMPosted by CandyPants
More card and deck synergy discussions, especially focusing on the Legendary cards that aren't in the top tier decks that need some love. There are the discussions of possible synergies for each card during the card reveals but not all the cards are revealed yet so its not even a complete synergy discussion. Then after launch nothing, unless it made it into a top deck. I think threads focusing on one card could be really useful, discussing possible decks it would work in, fun card interactions, or crazy unreliable plays that aren't consistent enough but fun when they do happen to work. Like if I get X legendary in a pack, what can I do with it, even if just for a fun deck used for win games with a X class quests. Or, I got this legendary that is in the top decks but I don't have the 4 other legendaries used in those decks, what can I do with just that card. Maybe even cards form past expansions. Oh you got this useless legendary card 2 expansions ago that has just been sitting in your collection [not] collecting dust, well here are some interactions with newer cards people have come up with that make it actually playable.

Yes, but there is a great wall (I guess) you can make the theory, however, you can't test the theories without all the cards.

Most people (I guess) can contribute only with points not enough for make a post about it or ... not sure.
I understand that not everyone wants to come here, and talk deck lists, or specific cards. I simply think that just because person X wants to talk about something that person Y doesn't like, doesn't mean the topic should be argued/salted/downvoted into oblivion. There is such a thing as peaceful disagreement.

Could we at least have more topics about games we played that we found amusing? Sure, they may not last as long as a more thought out topic. But they'd be a lot more entertaining to read than yet another, "NERF THIS WAH BLIZZARD Y U NO LISTEN?!?!?" thread.

Good stuff like that. We need more good stuff like that. I forget who said it, but someone on the Discord forum said it perfectly. The forums don't have "chill". And they don't! People as a group do not come here to chill.

Honestly, if there could just be a subforum specifically for complaints, and venting, and topics whining at Blizzard were all automatically moved into that sub forum, that'd be great. I am a big support of freedom of speech. I just don't want General discussion to be Complaints discussion. If we have to have a sub forum for Complaints discussion, so be it. Just keep it organized so people know what they're getting into before they check the threads.
Reaver, I always love your [for fun] threads =D
01/10/2019 05:14 AMPosted by Lyrist
The designers acknowledging their screw ups and making a commitment to change, then releasing a sensible patch that makes the game playable again.

OP said positive topics. You just can’t, can you?

he doesnt know what that is

OP said positive topics. You just can’t, can you?

he doesnt know what that is

Let's be nice to each other :D
(at least in such threads that aims for positivity)
Have a one or two thread a day limit per poster instantiated so chronic trolls, spammers, and petulant children don’t drown out every possible good thread.
For on-topic discourse, any thread that is well-reasoned and backed with evidence where applicable is inherently positive, including gameplay discussion, feedback, guides, and so forth. Furthermore, any thread inducing general conversation about the game is fundamentally neutral if it invites various viewpoints, and positive if used as a proper means of conversation. Both types of topics are excellent and necessary for a healthy forum!

The issue is that the negative threads and posts tend to receive the most attention, and even if the majority disagrees with these posts, they end up inviting the largest amount of deliberation. I think a large part of it is that these forums have slowly but surely entrenched negativity as their culture; people come here to vent above all else, and it is both easiest and most cathartic to engage in that rather than provide more meaningful posts.

For this reason, the clean slate offered by the move to Discourse is crucial. It will be up to us all to ensure that we hold worthwhile conference, in making good and relevant threads and replying to them in a respectful manner. :}

Honestly, I would not mind seeing any sort of discussion in itself, including -- say -- complaints, provided they are relatively objective and substantiated with both data and typical experiences. We as a community merely need to refrain from acknowledging trolls and posters who seek only to incite.

Certainly our moderation has been much better of late than it had been for a long time, with Jesse acting as our friendly neighborhood community manager; consequently, I am sure we can move forward and become a better forum where people can engage with helpful and courteous discourse pertaining to Hearthstone (as well as fun off-topic conversations!). :}
01/10/2019 03:07 AMPosted by Reaver
Just curious what are the topics (category) that you would like to see(or not want to see) in this forum.
I list a few as example,

- VS report/Meta analysis
- Theory craft (players submission ideas for cards/mechanic, etc )
- For Fun/Fluff (mini-games that player can participate, nonsense, jokes, etc)
- Motivational quotes/ Sharing of experience, strategies, tips and tricks

Lastly, how we could individually contribute to make positive topics more well supported and sustainable?

It all sounds good, cheers for the effort! Deck building is my thing, but I'll try to support any good stuff on the forum.

The issue is that the negative threads and posts tend to receive the most attention, and even if the majority disagrees with these posts, they end up inviting the largest amount of deliberation. I think a large part of it is that these forums have slowly but surely entrenched negativity as their culture; people come here to vent above all else, and it is both easiest and most cathartic to engage in that rather than provide more meaningful posts.

We as a community merely need to refrain from acknowledging trolls and posters who seek only to incite.

Some personal observation
1. Some of the vent posts are from posters with very low posts counts, they vent and they disappears.

What described above is very real. Many times I have been tempted to post some witty replies, but chose not to, after considerations.

2. The written communication can be easily misunderstood. Clarify OP intentions, interpretations, etc so that both can discuss on a common understanding.

There are times, I think we can agree to disagree.

Many a times, I believe posts can be more productive we we adopt I more "I seek to understand" method. We can also be more tolerant, to let some of us to express ourselves (with our shortcomings), as long its is civil and not offensive.

3. A few times, there has been some provoking/inciting, etc action in my threads. My personal preference is to reason once or twice. If fails, then further responding will lead nowhere. If I have made my message clear, then I have done my part.
01/10/2019 10:52 PMPosted by Phobetor
For on-topic discourse, any thread that is well-reasoned and backed with evidence where applicable is inherently positive, including gameplay discussion, feedback, guides, and so forth. Furthermore, any thread inducing general conversation about the game is fundamentally neutral if it invites various viewpoints, and positive if used as a proper means of conversation. Both types of topics are excellent and necessary for a healthy forum!

For this reason, the clean slate offered by the move to Discourse is crucial. It will be up to us all to ensure that we hold worthwhile conference, in making good and relevant threads and replying to them in a respectful manner. :}

Honestly, I would not mind seeing any sort of discussion in itself, including -- say -- complaints, provided they are relatively objective and substantiated with both data and typical experiences. We as a community merely need to refrain from acknowledging trolls and posters who seek only to incite.

Certainly our moderation has been much better of late than it had been for a long time, with Jesse acting as our friendly neighborhood community manager; consequently, I am sure we can move forward and become a better forum where people can engage with helpful and courteous discourse pertaining to Hearthstone (as well as fun off-topic conversations!). :}

Wow! Really excellent post. Great insight into the current situation with negativity dominating the forum. Two thumbs up!
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/hearthstone/22856515/hearthstone-update-january-9-2019

Summary:
Appearance rate of different cards in Arena was adjusted in order to keep the win rate of each class to as close to 50% as possible.

Full dust refunds for the cards nerfed in the December update are no longer available.

Some changes to Rumble Run were made.
This is a great post Reaver.

I had done something similar a while back, but it's great to see what kinds of posts posters would like to see and interact with.

A lot of these suggestions seem pretty doable and I would love to build a regular cadence for such posts. Perhaps we can work on some stuff together and really get folks involved.

I have some ideas and may be in contact.

Cheers! :)
I'd like to see more non-meta discussions.

This place is for casual and competitive players alike, and this game is so much more than just a ladder grind for a dust carrot for many. From wonky decks to cool synergies, I want to hear from people what they enjoy playing, not just which deck they're trying to ladder with.
01/11/2019 08:55 PMPosted by Wardrum
I want to hear from people what they enjoy playing, not just which deck they're trying to ladder with.

Those aren't always mutually exclusive.
I'd like the second installment of "banter with the blues" and for them to happen on a regular basis. Nothing promotes positivity like communication.
01/11/2019 02:39 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
This is a great post Reaver.

I had done something similar a while back, but it's great to see what kinds of posts posters would like to see and interact with.

A lot of these suggestions seem pretty doable and I would love to build a regular cadence for such posts. Perhaps we can work on some stuff together and really get folks involved.

I have some ideas and may be in contact.

Cheers! :)

I think the community will appreciate that.

---------------------------

Question to all:
Do you support a daily topic of the day(ref: reddit) or you prefer the free nature style of current?

*e.g. Monday - Off Meta deck submission and discussion, Tuesday - how to deal with Deck "X", Wednesday.......

If yes, what topic do you feel should be the mainstay?
01/11/2019 10:52 PMPosted by Reaver
Question to all:
Do you support a daily topic of the day(ref: reddit) or you prefer the free nature style of current?

*e.g. Monday - Off Meta deck submission and discussion, Tuesday - how to deal with Deck "X", Wednesday.......

If yes, what topic do you feel should be the mainstay?

Absolutely!

We should hear Jesse's thoughts on this. If he deems it appropriate (i.e., if it does not constitute spam or detract from other discussions), it would be nice to have his formal support, even if it's just a post agreeing with the general concept if handled properly. :}

We would need to determine the regular curators, since they would be responsible for not only creating the threads, but also providing the content where applicable.
However, everyone should be able to contribute if they genuinely wish to; this would be especially appreciated when none of the regular posters have the time or the ideas to create the daily topic.

Having said this, the following is potentially one way it could go. These are nothing but ideas I am throwing out there. :P
  • Sunday: General Discussion -- anything about Hearthstone, as well as off-topic discourse if permissible
  • Monday: How-To: Meta Deck -- advice on how to play and/or play against a given meta deck, including some or all of mulligans, match-ups, tech cards, etc.
  • Tuesday: Solo Adventures -- conversation about single-player content, including strategies for bosses and
  • Wednesday: How-To: Non-Meta Deck -- advice on how to play and/or play against a given non-meta or off-meta deck, including some or all of mulligans, match-ups, tech cards, etc.
  • Thursday: Theorycrafting -- discussion pertaining to decks that are not commonly played or largely do not yet exist, and how they could work in the present and future
  • Friday: Cards -- what people have pulled and what they wish to pull; what designs (or expansions) players would like to see
  • Saturday: Q&A Session -- people should be able to ask any questions they might have
Class forums would be nice.

More Blizzard activity here instead of reddit would be nice.

Cards on the watch post by blizzard would be nice showing list of cards they looking at to nerf and buff. You know you can buff right bliz?