Hunter Spell Stone

Play Mode Discussion
Ok Blizz, tell me how a Rogue can deal with 4 3/3 wolves by turn 5? What is the Rogue answer to Hunter Spell Stone??

I've lost 90% of my games once Hunter Spell Stone is popped by turn 5 as a Rogue.
prepa vanish? i don't think you can do anything besides that, 12/12 for 5 mana is way too op
I was trying to come up with good options against it, the big issue I keep hitting is rogue has never seemed good at burning down multiples of things. prep vanish seems to be the best option I could come up with, as well as MC tech and tar creeper to both mitigate.

Ultimately hunter spell stone plays into a class weakness so your best answer is to just try and be ahead for it.
Actually, I wouldn't mind if a 12/12 wolf would drop, at least I could sap it or vilespine. But yes, I agree totally.
Ayandarial, you hit the nail on the head. Some classes are not balanced and that's the problem with HS. A great game would have answers to all cards, no matter what class.
01/26/2019 11:13 AMPosted by Tohrin
Ayandarial, you hit the nail on the head. Some classes are not balanced and that's the problem with HS. A great game would have answers to all cards, no matter what class.

its the nature of Asymmetrical game design though, some classes are good at some things but not all things so the game becomes about trying to play to your strengths while knowing and preparing for your weaknesses.

I get the frustration though.
If you're really running into a lot of spell/secret Hunter, I'd recommend trying sudden betrayal and secret keeper. Sudden betrayal takes care of two of their wolves, secret keeper gets jacked up enough to deal with two of them (provided you can play around freezing trap).
01/26/2019 11:43 AMPosted by RinseWizard
If you're really running into a lot of spell/secret Hunter, I'd recommend trying sudden betrayal and secret keeper. Sudden betrayal takes care of two of their wolves, secret keeper gets jacked up enough to deal with two of them (provided you can play around freezing trap).

rogue runs enough good battle cries most of the time that they can play around freezing trap attacking with stone hill first for example.
Rogue can counter it by playing Priest.

If that's not diversity I don't know what is!
01/26/2019 10:59 AMPosted by Tohrin
Ok Blizz, tell me how a Rogue can deal with 4 3/3 wolves by turn 5? What is the Rogue answer to Hunter Spell Stone??

I've lost 90% of my games once Hunter Spell Stone is popped by turn 5 as a Rogue.

Meh

If anything its still RNGStone
My new deck beats Hunters now but struggles vs Topdecking Mages and Rogues

Thanks to Banana boat man and getting 2 of them early this Mage completed the old Time Warp lets do Exodia deck by turn 8. With a very nice setup up to boot.

https://imgur.com/a/0g9GlaW
https://imgur.com/a/EMMPZP5

All I could do was Psychic Scream them off the board. But the Mage had left over Fireballs (Cost 1 on turn 9 so game didn't end on 9).

By the time turn 10 came around I can now win the following turn. Oh but wait. The RNG isn't done yet.

https://imgur.com/a/SnyvUrA

2 x Primordial Glyph 2 x discover Fireball and GG. 7 or 8 fireballs casted by my opponent throughout the game.

=P

More RNGstone than anything during the plotted course of the usual.
01/26/2019 10:59 AMPosted by Tohrin

I play a lot of every class including hunter. I will agree rogue is quite weaker to spellstone than other classes. However, everyone I play has no problem removing at least 2 if not all my wolves.

It all depends on your strategy. I try to play every class so I can learn how they work. There's always a way around the wolves.

When I play my odd rogue, hunters almost always get the spellstone beefed up by turn 4 if they have the coin or turn 5 if they don't. The thing to do is prepare for it. You know they have it. That they're beefing it up and by turn 5 or 6 you should have enough resources to take the wolves out however if they have 2 spellstones(which they will) that takes some thinking lol.
01/26/2019 11:08 AMPosted by Shakou
prepa vanish? i don't think you can do anything besides that, 12/12 for 5 mana is way too op

if it was a 12 /12 we could use BGH on it
Blame it on rogue being pigeonholed into extreme tempo / aggro identity.

All it'd take would be an unnerfed 2-3 mana Blade Flurry, that doesn't damage face.
I can think of a few ways

Prep+Vanish
Geomancer/Bloodmage×2+Prep+Fan
Hero Power+Poison+Prep+Flurry(if you just have a three attack weapon already then you just need only Blade Flurry)

There's probably more and I'm not thinking hard enough but there are answers to a turn 5 Spellstone in Rogue
01/26/2019 02:34 PMPosted by Thecryomanic
I can think of a few ways

Prep+Vanish
Geomancer/Bloodmage×2+Prep+Fan
Hero Power+Poison+Prep+Flurry(if you just have a three attack weapon already then you just need only Blade Flurry)

There's probably more and I'm not thinking hard enough but there are answers to a turn 5 Spellstone in Rogue

Yah its not bad to have to have a geomancer and bloodmage and a prep and a fan of knives to counter 1 card. Thats a completely logical and reliable way to counter the hunter spellstone.

Why just yesterday I was able to counter a turn 3 mountain giant with 2 sorc apprentice out and played ruby spellstone into ruby spellstone into prime glyph into prime glyph into ruby spellstone into prime glyph into polymorph.
The first Spellstone they play is usually not an issue to deal with. It's when they have both at the same time. That is when you are in deep trouble regardless of class. The thing is even then it's recoverable until they play Zuljin late and get them all back again. It's a good card and honestly something Hunter needed at the time to get them back into the meta they had shut out of for nearly a year.
01/26/2019 01:35 PMPosted by Boreas
01/26/2019 11:08 AMPosted by Shakou

if it was a 12 /12 we could use BGH on it

I ran into a player recently with 2 BGH, like wtf?
This isn't really saying anything.

Rogue has never been great at getting rid of huge boards without Prep + Vanish.
That's the problem with this game... Hunter spell stone is a huge problem for some classes (Rogue, Druide, hunter) or really easy (Warlock, Priest).

Did the guy who design the Spell Stone realize that it would be such a huge problem for Rogue? As hunter you mulligan spellstone, then you need to deal with the turn 3 play (henchman, flappy bird whatever), drop two secrets on 4, Spellstone on 5. There is literally nothing the Rogue can do to get the tempo back. The only good play is prep vanish but that card is not in the meta at the moment.