My tale as a F2P

Play Mode Discussion
I have been playing for about a year and a half now, building my collection. I have always been trying to play 'honorable' decks and avoid netdecking, but this time i said frick it and built an even paladin. Guess who got legend for the first time?

Well, at this point i would like to call out everybody who thinks getting to legend is based on your skills/smarts or playing hundreds of games with a 50%+ wr. You just need a tier 1 deck and it does the job itself.

tl;dr:it's not you, it's the deck.
Congratulations on Legend! Don't put yourself down - there are hundreds of players plinking away with tier one decks at rank 20 that don't have a shot at being where you are now, regardless of what they play. Enjoy it for what it is and in the way you want.
Thanks man, i just had to vent after seeing so many legend players on this forum 'looking down' on people who never reached it :D
Of course it's the deck - and a base understanding of the game.
Those people who are like "you can win legend with almost every deck" are seriously sugarcoating the whole situation. The only way that you can reach legend with your own crafted deck is if you
a) come up with a tier 1-2 deck yourself that no one is able to counter (you then got the element of surprise)
b) are extremely lucky and almost always get opponents that you counter perfectly (like f.e. if you only fight odd paladins and you run control warlock yourself).
Game is a combination of deck + knowledge of the game, (knowing for example if your playing versus Rexxar and he is almost dead and you can kill him next turn with your hand/hero power to not play another minion in case he gets an lifesteal rush minion)

Knowledge is also knowing what your best matchups are yes and what to mulligan for, a few months ago for example as odd pally you knew you were most likely doomed versus an druid or odd warrior.
There’s nothing honorable (or dishonorable) about playing homebrewed decks. Is it really more honorable to make up your own dishes, compared to looking up recipes online?
01/28/2019 11:41 PMPosted by KCTH
I have always been trying to play 'honorable' decks
Pfft! Gotta love that term. "Honorable decks". Really? Did you watch too much Yu-Gi-Oh! or where did you people adopt that term from?

There is no such thing as "honorable deck". There is simply bad and good, or even OP, decks. Simple as that.

Guess who got legend for the first time?
Why, congratulations!

Well, at this point i would like to call out everybody who thinks getting to legend is based on your skills/smarts or playing hundreds of games with a 50%+ wr. You just need a tier 1 deck and it does the job itself.
So basically what you're saying is that you actually need a good deck in order to reach Legend? Well, congratulations on discovering that simple fact!

Your player skills, at higher ranks anyway, don't matter much if your homebrewed "honorable" deck is crap.

And if you think that just ANYONE can pick a Tier 1 deck and ride himself off to Legend with next to no skills, base understanding of the game, experience and knowledge of the meta and the most popular/strongest decks and how to play against them, well, you're wrong.

It's both.
I have been playing for about a year and a half now, building my collection. I have always been trying to play 'honorable' decks and avoid netdecking, but this time i said frick it and built an even paladin. Guess who got legend for the first time?

Such BS and trolling.

I am a big fat whale and own every card every expansion.

The farthest I ever got was rank 2

RNG + time + deck + a teeny tiny bit of skill is all you need in this game
Grats on getting legend although I cannot entirely agree with your sentiment about it being the deck not the person as if that were the case I would not have to go Hunter and slough through all these Odd Paladins at ranks 20-15, those and my new personal favorite of (I don't know how to play a) Discardlock where they mess it up and concede on turn 4.
Did you watch too much Yu-Gi-Oh! or where did you people adopt that term from?

dont disrespect
01/29/2019 05:16 AMPosted by Madmax
There’s nothing honorable (or dishonorable) about playing homebrewed decks. Is it really more honorable to make up your own dishes, compared to looking up recipes online?

Damn it man, i like the metaphor. Its perfect.
I don't know man, it's more like eating McDonald's cheeseburger every day 'cause is cheap and tastes good to you.

If a person fails to see what is dishonest about playing the more broken decks (odd aggro decks, mechatun, hunter atm, prenerf druid, prenerf cubelock) well i call lack of moral fiber. I'm not seeking your conformation nor i'm fearing the downvotes, i'm simply stating my opinion. And my opinion is a deck you play tells a lot about you.
And i refuse to believe a person of normal cognitive abilities can't get at least to r5 with a netdeck.
01/29/2019 10:54 PMPosted by KCTH
I don't know man, it's more like eating McDonald's cheeseburger every day 'cause is cheap and tastes good to you.

If a person fails to see what is dishonest about playing the more broken decks (odd aggro decks, mechatun, hunter atm, prenerf druid, prenerf cubelock) well i call lack of moral fiber. I'm not seeking your conformation nor i'm fearing the downvotes, i'm simply stating my opinion. And my opinion is a deck you play tells a lot about you.
And i refuse to believe a person of normal cognitive abilities can't get at least to r5 with a netdeck.

Oh, opinions? It’s my opinion that judging someone’s moral fiber based on an online card game is juvenile. It’s also my opinion that you don’t know what the word ‘dishonest’ actually means.

Instead of celebrating success, you instead just demean others indirectly. How moral you are!
Well I understand the emotion, because a large part of the game 'could have been' your ability to make your own deck.
I remember playing Magic the card game back in '95 with just a couple of classmates and there deckbuilding meant everything, and that is just something no longer possible.

From that emotion though, I have been 'tryharding' for years and eventually made legend with a couple of my own decks. It took me more than 4 years to give in to netdecking (odd rogue) and indeed, I was surprised at how easy that became.

Nonetheless it misses dimension, to not always think "is this the card I really want, or would I rather have wanted something else". I still prefer to play my own decks, even if they are not as good.
Well, that's your opinion, i don't have to agree with it to be true for you. And I never claimed to be an adult. I'm saying that winning shouldn't be a priority in a game where you will lose about half of the time. And if someone equals winning with fun, well i think that's childish.
And my success really didn't feel all that successful because i played a REALLY strong decks that does most of the job itself.
01/29/2019 10:54 PMPosted by KCTH
I'm not seeking your conformation nor i'm fearing the downvotes, i'm simply stating my opinion.

You're so strong and brave.
Well, I am an adult, an old-ish one, and the kid is right: The decks you play do say a lot about you. It's not just the big choices that determine who we are, it's all the little ones, too. Probably more so the little ones, when we think no one's looking, than the big ones.

And I agree with the kid that if you choose trollish or FotM decks that give you an unfair advantage over others, then yes, that is one indicator you might be a person of weak character. It signals that you're type of person who frequently makes the wrong easy choice instead of the hard right one. Make those easy choices often enough, and that becomes who you are.

Does that mean people who play non-netdeck or non-OP decks are automatically superior? Lol, no, of course not. No one single choice makes you who you are. But I don't think that what the kid was implying, either.

That's my 2 cents. That and 5 bucks might get you a small latte at Starbucks. But I doubt it.
Isn't it obvious it's the deck? There were hundred of pirate warriors that made Godawful plays that still got to Legend. Reason was Pirate Warrior was one of the most cancerous decks over conceived in Hearthstone.

Skill comes from memorizing decklists without a deck tracker. That is where I draw the line. Otherwise it's just a bunch of netdeckers who can do basic addition and subtraction and risk reward.