Best Way to Deal With Taunt Resurrect Priest?

Play Mode Discussion
I am having trouble with priests who run spellstones and eternal servitude to resurrect large health taunt minions again and again. What do you think is the best way to counter this?
luck. there is nothing reliable. its heavy rng deck so you need to be more lucky than him.
02/11/2019 03:26 AMPosted by haargroth
luck. there is nothing reliable. its heavy rng deck so you need to be more lucky than him.

Control Priest? You have Cabal Shadow Priest to steal the 2/14s (or combo'd with Twilight Acolyte, you can steal anything after turn 9). You also have Psychic Scream to negate their board, and Shadowreaper/Mind Blast combo as a finisher. If you're still struggling, throw in a Shadow Word: Pain for even more removal.

One important thing I found is to swap out Primordial Drakes for Crowd Roasters, since they are so much better at removing threats.

In general, fighting Wall Priest is the same as fighting any Inner Fire/Divine Spirit deck: either burn them out before they can set up the combo, or remove their threats so that they can't run the combo. And if you can't remove the threats, remember that IF/DS is based on current health: if you can whittle down a 2/14 or 3/12, they're less likely to one-shot you.
One thing to worry about when cabaling a minion is that they run shadow madness. They can simply take the minion back and slam it into your face unless you have a second taunt in play.
02/11/2019 04:21 AMPosted by Madmax
02/11/2019 03:26 AMPosted by haargroth

Control Priest? You have Cabal Shadow Priest to steal the 2/14s (or combo'd with Twilight Acolyte, you can steal anything after turn 9). You also have Psychic Scream to negate their board, and Shadowreaper/Mind Blast combo as a finisher. If you're still struggling, throw in a Shadow Word: Pain for even more removal.

One important thing I found is to swap out Primordial Drakes for Crowd Roasters, since they are so much better at removing threats.

In general, fighting Wall Priest is the same as fighting any Inner Fire/Divine Spirit deck: either burn them out before they can set up the combo, or remove their threats so that they can't run the combo. And if you can't remove the threats, remember that IF/DS is based on current health: if you can whittle down a 2/14 or 3/12, they're less likely to one-shot you.

I thought he is asking for a strategy to beat that deck. Not going all-out sigle deck while hoping he would get matched against it.

Thats same as saying go for heavy combo anihilator warlock when asking for a way how to beat combo. Its not helpful unless you want to play that single deck.
"Best" way is having transform effects, but not every class has them, and even if you do, they probably run more threats than you do transform effects

The res priest strategy is one that wins in the long game, so the two most logical answers are

1) Kill him before he gets his resses going
2) Have you own degenerate late game combo and try to reach your win condition before him

What is available to you depends on your class.

Then there are tactics.

Avoid killing what he summons from shadow essence. That gives him a good minion to res.

Transform and silences will be important, but timing them will be tricky since they probably have more threats than you have transform/silence

Similarly, save direct nukes to the face and other burst damage if you can.

Res priest usually doesn't put forth a lot of threats early on, while they rely on mass hysteriea and psychic scream to reset the board. Adjust yourself accordingly depending on your class/strategy (e.g aggressive decks want to play around those clears by not overextending, slow decks can be greedy and draw through their deck ASAP)
02/11/2019 02:53 AMPosted by Kansai
I am having trouble with priests who run spellstones and eternal servitude to resurrect large health taunt minions again and again. What do you think is the best way to counter this?

Class PRIEST should be removed from the game. Played today at rank 3, 5 games - the PRIEST game 1 - Druid!
Mossy Horror. Void Ripper as long as you can finish them off. If I see it becoming really prevalent I'll probably look at reconstructing my old Warlock deck that ran both in combination with Potion Of Weakness. If you're running Control Priest you can add a buff card or 2 to play round Shadow Madness. Shaman and Mage have Hex/Poly. All classes can run Tinkmaster. Or, cards like Muck Hunter to pollute their resurrect pool.
02/11/2019 04:32 AMPosted by haargroth
I thought he is asking for a strategy to beat that deck. Not going all-out sigle deck while hoping he would get matched against it.

Good news!!!
Control Priest isn't really part of the R/P/S meta everyone complains about yet insists on using decks with more polarization because..... they like the free wins. Control Priest has only one bad matchup.... Baku Warrior.... which isn't that common right now (HSR @ 3% Baku, 1.5% Quest Baku). You aren't hoping for any particular matchup with Control Priest it is simply the most consistently 40/60 // 60/40 deck on the ladder right now.

02/11/2019 12:42 PMPosted by Jezq
Mossy Horror.

That is, by far, the best tech option available against Wall Priest right now. If you look at the matchup spread for Wall Priest it isn't particularly vulnerable to any commonly used strategy so teching in hate into otherwise strong decks is probably the best route to go.
Excuse me I've been away from staled-up expected deck hs for a while.

What's this "Wall Priest Res-Up" craze all about over Norm-Res-Priest?
Why is it stronger to res-up taunts instead of the expected/usual big-8-boxies?

So Rag / LK / Kel are out? Y'saarj is out?
Wouldn't those be stronger to Essence-out than taunts?
Statue is taunt so probs didn't get replaced with taunt-wall new-era it seems.
LK...probs is in both-forms.

In a meta full of Death Knight for value, and OTK's with low-bars, how is anti-aggro WBP strong enough compared to Rag and company WBP? Wouldn't low-attack-taunt WBP lose real-convincingly to DK Rex / Dan / Shivers + OTK's + Most-Quests + Targeting the Coldlight Oracle with Shadowstep?

The only burst I could see is if it banks on having some 14 health taunt or 8 untouched to dub DS IF for a 1-turn burst hoping it's enough? Sounds unreliable very.

Idk why wouldn't WBP res up Rag / LK / Y'saarj / Kel like they have since August 2017? Why is ressing up low-attack-taunters better now than LK Rag Y'saarj forevs? What caused LK / Rag / Y'saarj n Kel to get-booted out of WBP and taunt-wall comes in to replace THAT opening act?
Confused is an understatement.
Play one of the endless braindead cancer aggro decks that currently infect the ladder.

Job done.
02/11/2019 01:57 PMPosted by c4ution
Play one of the endless braindead cancer aggro decks that currently infect the ladder.

Job done.

Why not do something..... [about control]

We (the forums/game direction) did do something..... enabled them.

Everyone here 2 years ago or so complained non-^#%$%$*& stop about Aggro and now you see what it becomes if you decide to give aggro the sharpness of a bread knife.

Our current aggro is laughably slow. When/if I'm building a Control deck my question isn't "how to I live against aggro" but, instead, "how greedy can I go to out value other control OR kill combo." Want to know why OTK isn't nearly the same issue in Wild? Wild still has actual aggro decks than can threaten lethal by turn 6 against slow developing decks. Control still has to respect the early game so not every control deck in Wild is battling for ultimate greed unlike Standard.

Want to do something about it...? Next time an aggro deck shows teeth don't immediately demand a nerf for it.

- Signed a Control Player that understands how important aggro actually is
02/11/2019 01:42 PMPosted by Thorodan
The only burst I could see is if it banks on having some 14 health taunt or 8 untouched to dub DS IF for a 1-turn burst hoping it's enough? Sounds unreliable very.

It's a lot more reliable if you can use Shadow Visions to get Divine spirit and Inner Fire/Topsy Turvy as needed. Also, keep in mind that resurrect spells bring back cards like Witchwood Grizzly and Damaged Stegotron at full health (12 HP), which makes the combo a bit easier to pull off. And the deck also runs Master Oakheart, which allows it to pull a 1/5, 2/14, and 3/12 for 9 mana (assuming they haven't drawn them yet).
02/11/2019 04:32 AMPosted by haargroth

Control Dragon Priest was actually outperforming the other Priest archetypes prior to the recent nerfs, it was a T1 deck. It's actually just a really good deck, helped by being really good against Hunters of all flavors. We'll see how the numbers look when VS makes their next report.