Aggro is dying

Play Mode Discussion
Aggro is dying I have defile in my near completed malganis/skull of man'ari/bloodreaver guldan/ and soon to be crafted "evil octopus".

Anyway I have defile in this deck but the card is useless 95% of the time because aggro is dying.Is it because priest has 8 AOE cards?

I hardly run into some nice aggro decks.I remember the good old times when I first started playing warlock it was a simple zoo deck with knife juggler and doom guard and the likes it was a fun deck O and it had jarraxus in it.

But these decks are dying because priest has 8 AOE cards
Gul'dan killed Jarraxus. I hope he´ll be back in April.
I played 20 games thus far today and only 2 of them was aggro.No this wont do blizzard will have to give aggro a nice boost come next expansion
Aggro is in horrible spot. Not reliable huge power play that is hard to be countered by heavy control package a lot of decks are running (usually not even control decks)
I still run into a lot of Even/Odd Paly decks, about the same number as Priests I've been facing this month after coming back from a long break from HS.

Mecha'Thun Druid/Warlock are after that followed by Taunt Warrior/miscellaneous Rogue decks etc.

(this is between ranks 5-10 with me playing my Evenlock deck)
dont worry

aggro will be back

it always comes back
02/22/2019 03:31 AMPosted by HappyFeet
Aggro is dying I have defile in my near completed malganis/skull of man'ari/bloodreaver guldan/ and soon to be crafted "evil octopus".

Is dying....

It died in Witchwood more or less. We had the quick flare-up for two months or so from Heal Zoolock but outside of that really well designed deck the 'aggro' from this year has been fairly slow and easy for Control decks (Baku Warrior, BSM, Control Priest) to pick apart (again minus Heal Zoolock's small era).

I am hopeful aggro comes back with some vengeance at rotation but that is just my home right now.
I find std to be pretty bad compared to wild for most decks. They don't give enough healing in std compared to wild.
02/22/2019 03:31 AMPosted by HappyFeet

Anyway I have defile in this deck but the card is useless 95% of the time because aggro is dying.Is it because priest has 8 AOE cards?

I hardly run into some nice aggro decks.I remember the good old times when I first started playing warlock it was a simple zoo deck with knife juggler and doom guard and the likes it was a fun deck O and it had jarraxus in it.

But these decks are dying because priest has 8 AOE cards

Oh yes. Priest is the sole reason your deck does not have easy prey. Aggro is NEVER truly dead.

Long Live Leeroy Jenkins!
02/22/2019 06:02 PMPosted by TheDarkArmy
I find std to be pretty bad compared to wild for most decks. They don't give enough healing in std compared to wild.

And nothing in Standard can hope to kill you anywhere close to as fast as Mech Aggro Hunter and Aggro Kingsbane Rogue can in Wild right now so it's a moot point.

If you look at the top-10 played decks in Standard right now the three fastest are:
Midrange Hunter
Secret Odd Mage
Odd Paladin

Two of those three are too slow for Wild.
Am I missing something? The top deck in std is an aggro deck and in wild Odd Paladin is the 3rd best.

I don't really understand how it's "dying".
02/22/2019 06:22 PMPosted by Schyla
Am I missing something? The top deck in std is an aggro deck and in wild Odd Paladin is the 3rd best.

I don't really understand how it's "dying".

I'm just as confused as you are. In Standard, there's a handful of aggressive decks that are tier 1, and least three or four more that are t2

Aggro isn't dead.

There's a quite a few viable, aggressive decks in Wild too, no?
02/22/2019 06:28 PMPosted by freckles

Wild no question

Standard.....

Note: Does HSR no longer have average turns per game data? I don't see it.

Odd Paladin: It's more of a deck which thrives on resource exhaustion since the Level Up! change. I feel like, playing against it, my average loss if it occurs is turn 10 or so which seems well past "aggro deck" territory

Odd Secret Mage: Can't comment as I haven't played against it enough and, see above, I lack the turn time data

Midrange Hunter: If you break the initial turns 1-3 it quickly becomes a very resource intensive game and usually doesn't end until well past turn 10 if they aren't extremely lucky on drawing a ton of their overvalued cards. It can be aggro but it can also play the long game as well so I kind of see htis dekc as an aggressive Midrange deck much like Even Shaman (in Standard) was.
02/22/2019 07:03 PMPosted by Lykotic
02/22/2019 06:28 PMPosted by freckles

Wild no question

Standard.....

Odd Paladin: It's more of a deck which thrives on resource exhaustion since the Level Up! change. I feel like, playing against it, my average loss if it occurs is turn 10 or so which seems well past "aggro deck" territory

Odd Secret Mage: Can't comment as I haven't played against it enough and, see above, I lack the turn time data

Midrange Hunter: If you break the initial turns 1-3 it quickly becomes a very resource intensive game and usually doesn't end until well past turn 10 if they aren't extremely lucky on drawing a ton of their overvalued cards. It can be aggro but it can also play the long game as well so I kind of see htis dekc as an aggressive Midrange deck much like Even Shaman (in Standard) was.

The average Odd Aggro Mage game lasts about 6 1/2 minutes
Secret Paladin and Odd Paladin at around 7 minutes
Midrange Hunter around 7 1/2 minutes
Zoo lock is 6 1/2 minutes
Odd Rogue is at 6 minutes

Those sound like some pretty good aggro numbers to me. Zoo lock is a good basis for what an aggro deck speed looks like.

I wouldn't say aggro is dead at all in standard.
02/22/2019 07:49 PMPosted by Schyla
02/22/2019 07:03 PMPosted by Lykotic
Wild no question

Standard.....

Those sound like some pretty good aggro numbers to me. Zoo lock is a good basis for what an aggro deck speed looks like.

Duration in turns is what matters, not minutes. anything over 8 turn avg, and thats being generous - 6-7 sounds closer to me - cant be considered aggro imo.
02/22/2019 07:52 PMPosted by Bowser
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Duration in turns is what matters, not minutes. anything over 8 turn avg, and thats being generous - 6-7 sounds closer to me - cant be considered aggro imo.

Unfortunately, there is no data that I know of that shows avg turns so we have to go by avg time played.

If you compare avg times with known aggro decks and known control decks, you should see a difference in time played to give you an idea of which decks are aggro. When we look, we see that control decks are in the 9-10 minute avg while aggro decks are sitting at the 6-7 minute avg.

This establishes what is aggro and what isn't For example, Mid-range Hunter isn't aggro, even though it can close out games fast, and it shows that in the avg game time of the 7 1/2 minute range - exactly where you would expect to find a Mid-range deck. In fact, you find almost all Mid-range decks right around there and 8 minutes.

Taking in the ENTIRETY of the statistics, you can then compare to where those "aggro" decks sit in the meta. The decks sit at the very top.

It's fairly evident to me, based on the evidence, that what is considered "aggro" in today's meta is by no means dead nor dying.

The only way you could argue against this is by stating that none of these decks are true aggro decks so the basis of their time played doesn't matter. But you would have a hard case arguing that zoolock and odd paladin aren't aggro decks.
Wish I had a nickel for every time somebody on the forum declared something was dying... and then it didn't. I'd have my own island by now.
02/22/2019 07:59 PMPosted by Schyla
02/22/2019 07:52 PMPosted by Bowser

Unfortunately, there is no data that I know of that shows avg turns so we have to go by avg time played.

If you compare avg times with known aggro decks and known control decks, you should see a difference in time played to give you an idea of which decks are aggro. When we look, we see that control decks are in the 9-10 minute avg while aggro decks are sitting at the 6-7 minute avg.

This establishes what is aggro and what isn't For example, Mid-range Hunter isn't aggro, even though it can close out games fast, and it shows that in the avg game time of the 7 1/2 minute range - exactly where you would expect to find a Mid-range deck. In fact, you find almost all Mid-range decks right around there and 8 minutes.

Taking in the ENTIRETY of the statistics, you can then compare to where those "aggro" decks sit in the meta. The decks sit at the very top.

It's fairly evident to me, based on the evidence, that what is considered "aggro" in today's meta is by no means dead nor dying.

hsreplay shows avg turns as well. time played is irrelevant, using that even lock would be considered aggro.
02/22/2019 08:00 PMPosted by Bowser
02/22/2019 07:59 PMPosted by Schyla

hsreplay shows avg turns as well. time played is irrelevant, using that even lock would be considered aggro.

Incorrect. Even Lock sits at around 8 minutes avg....exactly where you would expect to see it since it's neither aggro nor control.

I am unable to see where HSREPLAY shows avg turns. Do you have access to information I do not?
02/22/2019 07:49 PMPosted by Schyla

Odd Paladin - 8.5 turns
Secret Paladin - 8.5 turns
Secret/Odd Mage - 8.5 turns
Midrange Hunter - 9 turns
Zoolock - 8 turns
Odd Rogue - 8 turns

Yeah, theres nothing particularly aggressive about those times!

02/22/2019 08:07 PMPosted by Schyla
I am unable to see where HSREPLAY shows avg turns. Do you have access to information I do not?

Overview, directly BELOW avg time duration...