Is the game in the best state and I'm just crazy?

Play Mode Discussion
I thought about this today for a brief period of time. Is this meta actually really good and diverse? Am I always just thinking about the "good ol days" when it was "balanced" or "more fun" and just have rose tinted glasses on?

I think about the meta right now and it actually is pretty diverse. Almost every class has 1-2 decent decks at their disposal. I think back a year or two ago to the times of jades and pirates and don't know if it was as diverse as it is now. How about 2 years back when it was machine gun priest?

The best time for me was when it was a reno meta and there was reno mage and priest. Maybe the meta wasn't as diverse as it is now. Are there any places that we could go back and look at deck diversity from 2-3 years ago?

Is the meta the most diverse its ever been but the diversity that it brings is just terrible to go against?

I don't know. What do people think. Is there a way to find out?
Ya the meta is so diverse.

Each Zombeast is an unique special snowflake.
02/22/2019 12:37 PMPosted by Wintropy

Now now, the OP has a point about deck diversity.

There are multiple broken death knight hero's, not just one.
02/22/2019 12:42 PMPosted by gorillamunch

So that's the thing. Is this the most diverse meta we have ever had, but it's just awful to play?
02/22/2019 12:16 PMPosted by MoarRNGplz
Is the meta the most diverse its ever been but the diversity that it brings is just terrible to go against?

I think this is a fair statement.

How I view it right now
The diversity seems shallow: There are currently 9 decks above 3% representation (i can't compare this historically) but only 5 really feel unique to play against. So while there is some diversity it is shallow.

A lot of the strategies are just really annoying to play against: The issue is more of an aggregate issue. I don't hate MR Hunter until 10 rexxars in but the core build I'm fine with. Baku Warrior is just completely annoying, and Priest feels very "out of my hands" usually (agency). What might be worse though is that a lot of the uncommon decks are annoying in aggregate because they seem to,predominantly, revolve aound a hard to interact with OTK

Agency of the user feels minimal with many decks right now (assuming a base level of competency): Basically I won or loss based on a matchup over anything else

I think RR is better than Boomsday was by the way but I still think it is below Witchwood, KoFT,a nd Un'Goro. Basically, to me, RR metas have been about equal to K&C.
02/22/2019 12:42 PMPosted by gorillamunch

5 tons of !@#$ is still a lot of %^-*
The meta sure is diverse, no denying that. According to HSReplay tiers 1-2 (decks with 50% or higher winrates) has:

3 Paladins (the top three)
4 Hunters
3 Mages
3 Priests
3 Rogues
3 Warriors
3 Warlocks
2 Druids

Shaman is easily the worst/least played class, having only one deck in tier 3 ever since the nerf to Flametongue Totem, so sucks for them.

Source: https://hsreplay.net/meta/

Is this the best state/meta we've ever had? I don't know. It's rather subjective. There will always be haters who dislike the current meta and its decks/cards for whatever reason. I started to play Hearthstone VERY casually around Whispers of the Old Gods and became more 'serious' and invested in the game around Kobolds & Catacombs, so I can't really compare this to the past metas. What I can say is that while the meta is diverse, it's also stale.

I think most people, me included, are waiting for, arguably the most impactful, rotation very eagerly as some of the strongest, and thus problematic, most meta defining cards since their release are finally going to be gone. Which, along with the first expansion of 2019, is going to be the breath of fresh air this game needs in my opinion.

This made me laugh, sadly, very true aswell.
diverse? yes.

best place yet? that's subjective. I personally think this meta sucks. I liked when the game was a lot slower.