Is mind control even good ?

Play Mode Discussion
I feel like 10 mana for this is too much.
I'm a new player so my insight on the matter isn't that valuable and I assume I may be wrong here, but if so, how and why ? As a priest, you have board clears that cost 7, you can destroy a powerful minion for only 3, so why would you waste a whole turn on mind control ?
Depends on the meta. Most times its way too slow. Saw a lot of play a while back in spiteful priest.
02/24/2019 02:58 PMPosted by Guldin
Depends on the meta.

This, really. There needs to be a lot of decks running prime targets for it in order for it to be any good. In a meta of OTKs or Aggro, it's trash. There's just nothing to hit with it in most games. Tempo has some targets, usually, but the game will largely be decided before 10 mana in that case anyway so you'd want cheaper removal.

That, or it needs to have additional benefits, like with Spiteful Summoner. So overall it's a pretty weak card once you get passed Rank 20.
If you have a very small card pool it can be a good option
Every once in a while there are minions worth stealing. Lynessa Sunsorrow, Immortal Prelate, and previously C'Thun could all be worth more to steal rather than outright destroy. It was also meta in Satellite decks
To be fair, it used to cost 8 mana but got nerfed because it was too powerful.
Trash card right now. Why steal a minion on turn 10 when you can just otk on turn 9?
Sort of? It was a great card in the past, but the meta shifted and it hasn’t held up.

It used to be that Mind Control was a “Guaranteed 2-for-1” card. You used it, the opponent lost a minion, and you gained a minion. Triggered no deathrattles, taunt was irrelevant, and it “placed” a threat on your board. Stealing Tirion Fordring or Ragnaros was a game-winning play.

Nowadays, you rarely see anyone running big minions deliberately. Early game decks win or lose before Mind Control is relevant, and a number of current late game decks are either focused around an OTK played from hand rather than board (Mechathun), or around summoning/rezzing multiple things at once (Dk Gul’Dan, Diamond Spellstone). The only worthwhile targets worth MCing nowadays is the odd Lich King, or using it as “removal” against a top-decking opponent’s last minion.

It’s honestly not a bad card to have in the chamber, but it is absolutely not the time for it to be considered worth running, at least not outside of a Spiteful deck which can make use of Mind Control without ever having to actually cast it directly.

That being said, Spiteful decks ARE kinda fun, and the few times you do get a chance to play MC can seal a game; it didn’t get nerfed for nothing.
02/24/2019 04:47 PMPosted by Clockwise
It got nerfed for being "annoying," not overpowered. Blizz themselves said this. I honestly think in the current game 8 mana mc would be fine, given how much the power level of the game has risen since then.
02/24/2019 05:32 PMPosted by HailFall
It got nerfed for being "annoying," not overpowered. Blizz themselves said this. I honestly think in the current game 8 mana mc would be fine, given how much the power level of the game has risen since then.

Agree on both accounts.

It was a good but not over-the-top card in beta at 8-mana but, much like Big Game Hunter, was nerfed due to making high mana minions too risky of a play.

I think the card currently would be alright at 8-mana but I'm not sure would even see play currently until Twilight Acolyte is shipped off as both it and Shadow Priest are a lot more versatile of cards and combined, while costing 2-card advantage, accomplishes basically the same thing.

Edit: Hail are you available on Discord to discuss Razakus Priest (for wild)?
In a vacuum, it's somewhat costly for what it does, but do consider that

1) It's a basic card, you don't even need to open packs to get it.
2) Priest as a class has a history of being given other (better) ways along the same theme of turning the opponent's deck against them.
3) As with most other cards, how viable it is depends a lot on the meta
as long as you steal at least a 5/5 u get ur mana worth

I got pissed every time I ever seen it played
02/24/2019 05:32 PMPosted by HailFall
8 mana MC.

Think about what that would do to meta.

8 mana box-out cards
Rag
Lich
Kel
Statue 9 is the same as 8.
I mean that's really it.
Sometimes you see a Maly for combo.

So on 8 you'd see a lot of MC'd Rag / LK / Kels.
Wait a min, every single one of these 8 boxies gets cheated out...

So yea since they aren't actually played on 8, and more like T6 where Servitude lies, your 8 mana MC is the same as 10 In that cheated-out case right?

It can't be a response to the cheating out of the big-8 cost box-outs.

I mean it would help when going second if your opponent Oakhearted on 9 to have MC be at 8 for Mog-response. Rogues, well Rogues besides cheat-out don't run any minions > 3 Brann Coldlight Spirit top out Rogue's minion list at 3 mana max.

Since I can't think of a case where one of the big 8 box-outs like LK Rag Kel are actually played on or even near T8, MC being at 8 would be too-expensive to response to the same-3 8 cost minions being cheated out / ressed up / carrying games all on their own once cheated.

8 mana mc is the same as 10 mana against a turn-6 8-cost.
See my point?
Personally, I find the most success for Mind Control in Wild, where big cards tend to be played.

C'Thun, Dragon Priest, Lynessa, Lich King, and even Big Priest if you survive that long.

The card is basically a Faceless Manipulator, Silence, and Assassinate rolled into one card, which is pretty good if you ask me.

Not so much against aggro though.
Aside from Lich King, an enemy Cube loaded up with something juicy is usually the best target for MC these days in standard.
in this meta it is too slow. in arena it is still one of the most powerful cards though.