Playing Magic Arena Made Me Appreciate Hearthstone

Play Mode Discussion
I used to rag on the rng of this game so much, so I quit playing it. Then I played a bunch of other games like Gwent, Shadowverse, and lately Magic Arena, and it's honestly made me come to realize what an amazingly designed card game Hearthstone is. The core game systems are just SO solid compared to the others.

Magic's draw rng is so bad that I lose about 10% of my games in the mulligan phase, and another 20% by turn 5. Drawing too many lands, or too few, even while having the optimum number for my deck list, it happened too much times and generated a lot of stress. That's on top of the game being home to some absolutely absurd and fun-destroying card effects like making the opponent discard his hand, taking 10 turns in a row, negating a card being played outright (usually for less cost) being so plentiful in decks etc. etc.

Hearthstone has its stressful moments and awful rng, let's not disregard that, but I feel like there's a lot less... ahem, degeneracy involved in the style of decks available. I've experienced a lot more back and forth matches in Hearthstone than I have in MTGA, where I mostly either crush my opponent or get crushed.
Well, that's a different take than we usually get around here. Glad you took the time to try things out though, and found what fits your style the best.

Be prepared to suffer downvotes at the hands of the folks who despise Hearthstone though, yet still spend their time on it's "official" forums.
02/15/2019 10:33 AMPosted by Ardim
Hearthstone has its stressful moments and awful rng, let's not disregard that, but I feel like there's a lot less... ahem, degeneracy involved in the style of decks available. I've experienced a lot more back and forth matches in Hearthstone than I have in MTGA, where I mostly either crush my opponent or get crushed

Theres a whole lvl of differenence between draw rng and ''designing'' rng cards like Barnes.

Suggesting that Hs has less RNG and more skill than MTG is well... simply wrong.

02/15/2019 10:33 AMPosted by Ardim
That's on top of the game being home to some absolutely absurd and fun-destroying card effects like making the opponent discard his hand, taking 10 turns in a row, negating a card being played outright (usually for less cost) being so plentiful in decks etc. etc.

Which is what makes this game counter OTKs and combos effectively......
@OP
Glad you found the game you enjoy the best. I might disagree with a few of your points but each one of us prefers different elements.

Mulligan is the one thing HS does do better but how the land system and color combos allow for power on cards is something I much prefer in Magic over HS.

As for destroy or be destroyed depends on your deck. As Sultai (B/G/U) I agree but with Dimir (U/B) or Aristocrats (W/B/R) I have found many close games (and many blowouts).

I like both games for different reasons but if I had to pick one, for me, it'd be MtG:A. Luckily though I can play both =)
Lol so laughable, and all of the hearthstone fanboys on here up voting him. Yeah, land screws happen in magic, that rng is so much less than the crap in hearthstone though.
02/15/2019 11:31 AMPosted by Giggleboo
Lol so laughable, and all of the hearthstone fanboys on here up voting him. Yeah, land screws happen in magic, that rng is so much less than the crap in hearthstone though.

You're a magic fanboi. See how that works?
Am....am I seeing things? Did I lick myself again? O_0 Kudos for the positive post man.
02/15/2019 11:31 AMPosted by Giggleboo

Like someone implied, what is really laughable is the fact that you still are here only to talk bad about the game.

And nah, land screws/overflows happens quite commonly enough for it to be really frustrating, plus its way better to actually play something and watch both sides turn the tables with RNG than one side not playing anything at all because of said RNG.
Suggesting that Hs has less RNG and more skill than MTG is well... simply wrong.

i took it more than you can control more the rng in your deck because you can choose how many rng heavy cards you run
HS check mana curve when deckbuilding

on mtg you have to be careful with the lands too and as far as i know there is no way to prevent mana / land screw completely
02/15/2019 06:58 PMPosted by Boreas
on mtg you have to be careful with the lands too and as far as i know there is no way to prevent mana / land screw completely

Prevent completely no, but you can make your deck very resistant to mana screw and use something like Hydroid Krasis (U/G minion) to turn Mana Flood into your advantage for a turn.
Magic land system really is terrible. You can get too many lands and too few lands and not right type of lands and there are land destruction cards.
I have fun playing both
Downvote me to oblivion but the land system is trash. RNG on start of game to decide if u win or lose because u cant play cards.
02/16/2019 12:21 AMPosted by Urza
Downvote me to oblivion but the land system is trash. RNG on start of game to decide if u win or lose because u cant play cards.
And how is that different from winning or losing in the mulligan phase in Hearthstone? If you're not playing an aggressive deck, it's quite possible to have nothing to play for the first few turns.

And much like in Hearthstone, if you find yourself frequently losing because you didn't draw anything you could play for the first few turns, that's generally a sign that your deck needs to be adjusted.

The land system does two things though that your poo-pooing for the maybe 1 in 10 games a properly built deck will land-kill itself with (and less with certain decks)

1) It allows mana cost and power to have a lot more room for power differences without creating a "this is the best 4 mana minion period" (Shredder). Making something cost GGUU (2x Green, 2x Blue) allows it to have a lot more power than making something cost 2GU (2x any, 1x Green, 1x Blue). That allows mana type to play a prevalence in power and makes mana mean more than a curve to a degree. It allows allows for a trade-off between consistency in color and your deck's weaknesses. As you add in more colors to cover more strengths you introduce an inherent weakness in color density issues.

2) The mana system, because of it's inconsistency, forces not every games to play out dramatically similar. Essentially it prevents some "here we go again" in most decks because mana color matters a ton. There are mono-colored decks but most of them will be weaker than a dual-colored deck. Exceptions right now are RDW (Red) and MonoU Tempo (Blue).
02/16/2019 12:30 AMPosted by Monlyth
And how is that different from winning or losing in the mulligan phase in Hearthstone? If you're not playing an aggressive deck, it's quite possible to have nothing to play for the first few turns.

And much like in Hearthstone, if you find yourself frequently losing because you didn't draw anything you could play for the first few turns, that's generally a sign that your deck needs to be adjusted.

I can showcase exactly how this is different.

MTG: Mulligan and hope to get what you want AND lands to be able to play them.

Hearthstone: Mulligan and hope to get what you want.

If you are control deck in hearthstone you will never run into not being able to play your psy scream on curve or hellfire ect because you dont have mana. IN MTG you can and every time you mulligan you lose 1 card after the first. Redraw 3 times and the game is pretty much already over with you at 5 cards and opponent at 7.

But in addition to this the opposite is also true. Not only can you draw not enough lands you can draw too many lands and not have cards to play. You can dice this up however you want but lands are another layer(s) to RNG that can instantly make you lose.

But it doesnt even end here. Not only can you get mana screwed and mana flood but your multicolor decks can even draw the wrong lands. So there you are drawing blue card after blue card and no islands. (this is especially true where
access to multilands are limited)

And yet it still doesnt end here. Not only can all this happen but the game also land destruction cards which can further compound all these problems.

I hope this illustrates how bad the land system is compared to hearthstone. The one benefit of land system is you can break it down into colors and so multicolor decks are possible. This could somehow be implemented in hearthstone but I cant see it being as simple and elegant as MTG system is for multicolor decks.
02/16/2019 12:58 AMPosted by Lykotic

The land system does two things though that your poo-pooing for the maybe 1 in 10 games a properly built deck will land-kill itself with (and less with certain decks)

Well even your conservative estimate of 1 in 10 games being decided by lands is 20% of games being decided by lands with 2 opponents. I call that a terrible system overall. Though the MTG system does have some benefits my own opinion is its terrible overall and a detriment to the game but its so much a part of the game they can never change it.