Kobolds was such a busted set

Play Mode Discussion
Actually excited to see what the game will be like once Kobolds rotates out. So many busted cards in one set.

Recruit was nuts. Spellstones were nuts. Level Up! and Call to Arms were nuts. Spiteful Summoner was nuts. Cube was nuts.

Not going to miss this set and the cancer it brought to the meta.
I don't think the people who designed it have rotated out, so I would expect more of the same mana cheatin', otkin' bland game design
people like broken combos/interactions...just not when they're on the receiving end. you can deny this, but its the truth (generally speaking).

in retrospect, i would say i had the most fun when kobols/kft/ungoro were rotated in/new. seriously =/. since the launch of whatever the first expansion of the current set is called, i havent logged in very much...if at all
Kobolds and KFT were pretty absurd when put together. You're certainly not the only one who feels that way.
Probably going to be the most impactful rotation the games ever had.
Mammoth was to much of a power spike in the game.

My biggest concern is that the whole game is going to revert to Baku and Genn decks because they will be the most optimal way of playing any deck.
Be prepared to press that hero power a 1000 times after April
And yet, it was also thematically, and flavor-wise, one of the best and freshest sets we've had.

Call me biased, but it's one of my favorite sets despite its issues. I think the Death Knights were worse from balance -perspective.
02/09/2019 06:47 PMPosted by xFoobs
Probably going to be the most impactful rotation the games ever had.
Mammoth was to much of a power spike in the game.

My biggest concern is that the whole game is going to revert to Baku and Genn decks because they will be the most optimal way of playing any deck.
Be prepared to press that hero power a 1000 times after April

nothing wrong with hero power being used is there for a reason!

(but i rather have more even decks than odd ones on the meta )
The whole rotation has relatively strong cards.

Things like flappy bird, quests, dks, etc. Things that have defined metas for a while.
02/09/2019 07:11 PMPosted by EBSnike
And yet, it was also thematically, and flavor-wise, one of the best and freshest sets we've had.

Call me biased, but it's one of my favorite sets despite its issues. I think the Death Knights were worse from balance -perspective.

I agree, when it kobolds first came out I was having a blast. The single player dungeons were the best too.

The lack of impact year of the Raven has had for the year has been an issue for me.

Now dealing with kobolds for 2 years straight because year of the Raven being underwhelming, is why I hate year of the mammoth cards. Just tired of the same thing over and over.

Only thing notable year of the Raven did was Genn and Baku at the beginning of the year and that is potentially a big issue in the game going forward.

So year of the Raven was boring and broke the game at the same time! Ugh
hunter spellstone, druid spellstone;warlock and priest are ones that saw play, others are crappy and just memes,paladin has thekal,tons of healing, bloodclaw to be able to heal early and still spellstone sees no play for example. Most spellstones dint see serious play at all.
Year of the Mammoth Rotates and we will enter the Year of the Button.
It feels as if the biggest issue was KaC + KotFT available at the same time, if not just KotFT;

so much imbalanced power creeping among the classes.
02/09/2019 07:11 PMPosted by EBSnike

This is true. I didn't start playing this game until Un'Goro, so I got to miss when GvG and TgT were in standard. That being said, it seems the power level of cards has really shot up. GvG does have some really strong cards, but Kobolds seems to have an insane amount. KaC did a lot for wild as well. The mechanics and card art/flavor were certainly there. Year of the Raven was just really underwhelming.
You forgot the other 2 sets in 2017 that were just as if not more OP. Everyone pretty much knows at this point that design went way over the top in those expansions. Sadly it took an entire year of making expansions that are an acceptable level to get us to this rotation where things will most likely be more interesting.
The fact that this set rivaled the power of Goblins vs Gnomes and Curse of Naxxramas, arguably topping the level of the two really says something about how unhealthy those expansions were. Mean Streets wasn't even that powerful; they just happened to give a few classes some unhealthy cards--mainly Jade Idol.
02/10/2019 11:58 AMPosted by ThinIce
The fact that this set rivaled the power of Goblins vs Gnomes and Curse of Naxxramas, arguably topping the level of the two really says something about how unhealthy those expansions were. Mean Streets wasn't even that powerful; they just happened to give a few classes some unhealthy cards--mainly Jade Idol.

Also Pirates happened.

Regarding OP Mammoth cards... there is jackload of them.

Certain quests (Rogue, Warrior, Mage), Stonehill, Flappy Bird, Tar Creeper, Death Knights, Cube, Legendary weapons (most of them at least), Spiteful, Saronite, UI, Branching Paths, Arcanologist, Glyph, Bonemare, Spikeridged, Meteor, Vinecleaver, DR Hunter support, Kathrena, Ress priest support, Spellstones (Hunter, Priest, Druid, Warlock), Kobold Cubelock support.

Just from top of my head.

Meanwhile only cards from this year I feel that have remotely similar impact are Ziliax, Giggling, Baku, Genn, Shudder and Henchclan.
I remember when Jade was rotating out. I thought things would get better for me (as a Control Player). For a while, they did, but then, they purposefully supported OTK and my enjoyment of the game also plummeted.

Anyway, my point is: Every rotation, we rejoice at the thought that certain cards are about to be removed. However, little do we know what's about to come...
02/10/2019 02:22 PMPosted by DoomBringer
I remember when Jade was rotating out. I thought things would get better for me (as a Control Player). For a while, they did, but then, they purposefully supported OTK and my enjoyment of the game also plummeted.

Anyway, my point is: Every rotation, we rejoice at the thought that certain cards are about to be removed. However, little do we know what's about to come...

I remember when warlock was hardly played at all! (Un'Goro Meta) then cubelock became a thing. Just goes to show you that the meta can change quite a bit when a new set gets added. I just hope there's more to this game than Even/Odd decks in a few months.
02/10/2019 02:45 PMPosted by NorseBlood
02/10/2019 02:22 PMPosted by DoomBringer

I remember when warlock was hardly played at all! (Un'Goro Meta) then cubelock became a thing. Just goes to show you that the meta can change quite a bit when a new set gets added. I just hope there's more to this game than Even/Odd decks in a few months.

The thing is, upcoming cards will absolutely be balanced around the existence of "Odd/Even", as far as Paladin is concerned (maybe some other classes too). Once those cards (Odd/Even) are gone, Paladin (and some other classes) will suffer greatly because their cards may become bad overnight and suffered 3 sets of "cards being balanced around it".
02/10/2019 03:09 PMPosted by DoomBringer
The thing is, upcoming cards will absolutely be balanced around the existence of "Odd/Even"

The thing with genn/baku decks is that they really aren't about abusing one or two OP cards, but operate on "whole is greater than sum of its parts".

Just looking up vs decklist, here's what odd pallies will be losing next expansion:

righteous protector
lost in the jungle
fire fly
acherus veteran
unidentified maul
stonehill
fungalmancer
corridor creeper
vine cleaver

It's hard to pin point any one of those cards as OP, so you can''t really "balance around" odd/even.

I think they'll do what they're already doing: release cards however they like, only nerfing reactively when it's observed that a particular card is particularly strong in an odd/even deck.