There will be more Dirty Rats (source)

Play Mode Discussion
Listen to Value Town podcast #203 (latest)

Dean Ayala is the guest.

He states (paraphrasing) there WILL be more dirty rat type cards in the very near future.

The whole episode is great, talks about the newest nerfs and OTK decks.

(he states basically OTKs are not fun, but have to be there for (near) infinite resource games like Rexxar and Jaina)
Any guesses on just how powerful we can assume he means by disruption effects basically?

It's kinda unnerving because we've seen destroy all 1 cost spells, to transforms minions in hand. Sooooo I'm guessing were gonna get some OP versions soonTM.
Is Frost-Lich Jaina really infinit? It seems more just good against minions then actually infinit.
Dirtier Rat, 3 mana neutral epic. 4/8. Taunt. Battlecry - Put 2 random minions from opponents hand on board.
They've said these things in the past but the cards that they gave us as tech cards were terrible.

They haven't been consistent with good tech choices. Geist was a great tech card vs jade druid and the infinite minions because it created an immediate counter when played.

Mindbreaker is a terrible tech card vs hero powers because it's a terrible temporary counter.

Dirty rat is a great tech card because it's immediate with a possible downside.

I just hope the tech cards they introduce aren't similar to "mindbreaker" style or else they just aren't great.

Tech cards that are good have an instant satisfaction and counter use to them (like an ooze, destroy secrets, or mind control tech). Temporary tech cards are terrible.
OTK deck do not need to be there just crap right.
It's a good podcast.

Crazy how Dean says what's not fun, and that's pretty much the current meta lol.
02/12/2019 11:35 AMPosted by Right

Dean Ayala is the guest.

He states (paraphrasing) there WILL be more dirty rat type cards in the very near future.

(he states basically OTKs are not fun, but have to be there for (near) infinite resource games like Rexxar and Jaina)

Welcome to "Poor Game Design 101". So today we are going to show you how to design a game where one poor decision influences another. Infinite value vs OTK. Now we created cards that generated infinite value to slowly chip away at the opponent, but this upset the balance of the game. How did we fix this? With nerfs?! Gosh no. We decided to make things worse by creating OTK decks.

Did we learn from our decisions? No, not really as we continue to design cards that generate infinite value. But everything is okay. Sure our sales are dropping but we got this. More OTK decks coming your way soon!
It isn't fun to play Aggro against Control.
It isn't fun to play Control against OTK.
It isn't fun to play OTK against Aggro.
The only reason people hate OTK is because they suck at playing against it. Odd Warrior has more stall than a lot of OTKs.

I do think that disruption cards are needed however. I mean I hope that future disruption cards aren't like our current ones to be honest. All are just random chance. Essentially it's you have a chance to ruin a decks entire purpose with a single card and if you don't, no big deal. People want more interaction with a deck, not a card that is completely random as to wether it works or not. An interactive card would be one that isn't just a win if you win the random chance. I mean an interactive disruption card would be a disruption card that stalls the OTK. Mojo Master Ziji is a great example of this. Something like reshuffling both player's hand into their deck and redrawing cards, or a version of Weseal Tunneler that has a higher statline and cost compared to Weasel Tunneler, but shuffles like 3 copies into the opponent's deck, thus causing them to have to draw more cards to get their combo. Essentially either clogging up their deck with cards or simply causing them to have to redraw their combo. That takes time. Especially since an OTK deck wouldn't have enough draw cards most of the time in a situation like this. A card with an effect like Void Contract, Dirty Rat, and Demonic Project, while effective, could just be slapped into an infinite value deck to cover that deck's primary weakness. You don't see any other cards that just ruin whole point of an aggro deck single handedly. You see cards that help prolong your time before the aggro deck kills you with things like taunts, healing, and board clears. Why should combo be any different?
I wish I trusted their knowledge of their own game....

Flip flop one day to the next.

Dean Ayala is the guest.

Here’s a thought... stop making infinite resource cards so you don’t have to create decks that most people don’t find fun to play against.
I want to see many different mess with the opponents hand/deck cards because it has truly gotten disgusting in wild as well as standard with otk decks.

I want to have the ability to create a full deck based on manipulating the players deck. These cards should be NEUTRAL not class based.

With all the stealing, reviving and minion cheating crap going on it's time the game took a turn into depravity.

The games broken. We need tools that counteract the aggro !@#$ and OTK crap.

Mage, Priest, Shaman, Paladin, Rogue, Warrior and Druid I am looking at you.

They should also increase the cost of coldlight Oracle to 4.
Well, regardless of your views, I just wanted to point you guys towards some good information from the horses mouth...

Because the 1st page of the forum was FILLED with speculation and dreams and wishes that the podcast directly addressed. (especially OTK decks)
It's always funny to hear devs talk about the game and that doesn't match whats actually happening.
02/12/2019 01:23 PMPosted by LEETHELIVER
The only reason people hate OTK is because they suck at playing against it.

The reason people hate OTK is lack of interaction. Playing against OTK has been likened to playing solitaire. The outcome of the game depends on the luck of the draw and there is very little skill involved. If the OTK deck gets their stall cards and then their combo they win and there is literally nothing you can do.

02/12/2019 01:23 PMPosted by LEETHELIVER
People want more interaction with a deck, not a card that is completely random as to wether it works or not. An interactive card would be one that isn't just a win if you win the random chance. I mean an interactive disruption card would be a disruption card that stalls the OTK. Mojo Master Ziji is a great example of this. Something like reshuffling both player's hand into their deck and redrawing cards, or a version of Weseal Tunneler that has a higher statline and cost compared to Weasel Tunneler, but shuffles like 3 copies into the opponent's deck, thus causing them to have to draw more cards to get their combo. Essentially either clogging up their deck with cards or simply causing them to have to redraw their combo.

If OTK is to stay in the game it either needs to be very unreliable or have interactive disrupters as you suggest above. The problem is not that people "suck at playing against it" but there is nothing you can do TO play against it.
02/12/2019 03:09 PMPosted by Guldin

Dean Ayala is the guest.

Here’s a thought... stop making infinite resource cards so you don’t have to create decks that most people don’t find fun to play against.

we need infinite resources to counter infinite armor and fatigue decks
before the first one jade idol ,there was no way to win vs a deck with 30 hp and 30+ armor
At least they recognize the need for a new dirty rat.

it could be an offensive Alarm o Bot that pulls from your opponents hand and jumps in his deck. Then your opponent could use it too, kinda like Lorewalker with minions.
it will be neutral I bet, so no spell.