Our CM, Jesse Hill let go...

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
Well...

Guys get ready. They're ditching these forums. They already use reddit for everything and it costs them nothing. That's probably why we never moved. Theres just no point in spending money on this forum when most players use the other.

No point in paying community managers for a dead forum either.

If so, well...its been fun. Guess I'll need to join discord quickly.
Adios Jesse Hill.

I hope you got a good lay off plan. And will find a fun new job again! You will be missed!
Well sometimes i was salty but fact is jesse was one of the best moderators i ve seen. Trully the only one who was willing to inform the community about stuff, trully the only one caring about these forums.

Jesse man i ll trully miss you. Sorry for my angry posts, i trully believe you were great.

Edit: Btw this whole ''We re gonna fire people cause we re making less billions'' is such a crap. People should be fired when they re bad at their jobs not cause a company is greedy. And you were trully great man. I wish you the best in the future and i hope your next employes to be a lot better. The Blizzard/Activission ones are trully a bunch of donkeys.
Damn... Was a good one.
02/12/2019 04:20 PMPosted by Goramier
He was responsible for heavy bannings, thread and post deletions among other things that chilled any real discussion here. Real gaming discussion happens elsewhere.

the only threads ive seen deleted are the ones with posters throwing childish insults to each other
That 15000000 bonus the guy at the top got had to come from somewhere like the Salary of the people they laid off. This is why I hate the corporate model. Rich get richer at the expense of the people at the bottom of the pyramid.
Prepare for the down vote apocalypse.

Pretty meh, Jesse loved to show up once in a blue moon and offer valueless responses when tensions in the forum were running at their highest. There was NEVER any indication that anything every got back to Team Five and communication on this board never improved since day one. Reddit has always been the official forums and Jesse never moved that one small bit.

I know this is a going to be seen as kicking a guy when he is down. I hope truly hope he finds a great job that makes him really happy as soon as possible. The fact that I did not think highly of his presence on this board in no way shape or form says anything about him as a person, and I have no reason to think he is anything other then a totally nice human being. I hope he does well and I hope he is happy moving forward.
Congratulations Blizzard!

Stocks down 45% since last fall. Meets EPS for last quarter and lays off hundreds of employees so your CFO gets a $15M bonus.

Bravo!

Jesse was never in their long term plans. That is a fact. This place is about as neglected as it could have been as described by Gishgeron.

Thank goodness I liquidated my position months ago and ditched your sorry behinds.
02/12/2019 05:09 PMPosted by TheChemist
Well sometimes i was salty but fact is jesse was one of the best moderators i ve seen. Trully the only one who was willing to inform the community about stuff, trully the only one caring about these forums.

Jesse man i ll trully miss you. Sorry for my angry posts, i trully believe you were great.

Edit: Btw this whole ''We re gonna fire people cause we re making less billions'' is such a crap. People should be fired when they re bad at their jobs not cause a company is greedy. And you were trully great man. I wish you the best in the future and i hope your next employes to be a lot better. The Blizzard/Activission ones are trully a bunch of donkeys.

I just wanted to touch on this last part.

It's not "we made less billions".

Once investors are part of your corporate identity it's more like:

"We didn't make enough MORE billions so our investors didnt see large enough gains on their stocks for a return"

You can view being publicly or privately traded as being eaten by parasites. Either you grow enough extra flesh each year to feed them or they consume an organ. It's a terrifying system when you think about it. Investment money can spur you forward...but they will take more back than they give.

So even if you're a winner you still lose.
02/12/2019 06:31 PMPosted by Gishgeron
02/12/2019 05:09 PMPosted by TheChemist

"We didn't make enough MORE billions so our investors didnt see large enough gains on their stocks for a return"

You can view being publicly or privately traded as being eaten by parasites. Either you grow enough extra flesh each year to feed them or they consume an organ. It's a terrifying system when you think about it. Investment money can spur you forward...but they will take more back than they give.

Not sure who downvoted this, but it's true.

Disgusting, but true.

ActiBlizz made records this past year, but things still fell short of expectations, so stock prices fell hard.

And once the layoffs happened, wouldn't ya know it? Stock prices started going right back up again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with objectively poor 2018 profits (or their new CFO who just got a 15 million dollar sign on bonus) and everything with investors' expectations still not being met.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Disgusting, but true.

ActiBlizz made records this past year, but things still fell short of expectations, so stock prices fell hard.

And once the layoffs happened, wouldn't ya know it? Stock prices started going right back up again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with objectively poor 2018 profits (or their new CFO who just got a 15 million dollar sign on bonus) and everything with investors' expectations still not being met.

He got 3.2 million in cash, the rest in stock options that mature if certain conditions are met. That's a lot for a normal person but the head of a billion dollar company would expect that especially since I read the dude has also taken lead in other positions (coo) where he otherwise wouldn't.

I was interested in moving some shares but experts were against it still calling it long term risky. I think I will hold off. I don't need it and don't want risks right now.

Edit: expect lots of odd up and down votes, it's the kind of issue that will cause emotions. I haven't down voted anyone and won't but with this type of topic I would expect it.
Forums have been a deathtrap for Blizzard CMs for a long time. Their CMs that actually use them always get fired.
Sad day IMO
I thought Jessie was good for what he did.
I work in a similar industry of having to deal with customers and people all the time and its tuff

He would of wanted to be more active but had to clear/watch what he was aloud to say. Which is why he didn’t over exert himself into the forums. Still as active as he could be though IMO.

All the best in the future mate.
I am sure Jesse wanted to do more but was running into a brick wall of Bureaucracy.

Wonder if they will just shut down these forums.
02/12/2019 06:56 PMPosted by Wardrum

Disgusting, but true.

Sucks that my rant on Activision got deleted. No real point in making it again, even though it'll likely stay this time given the oversight of the forum just went down the tubes.

So... I'll leave it as Activision has no respect from me. None, zip, zealch, nadda.

Of course... Nah... !@#$ it. Not doing it again.
02/12/2019 06:56 PMPosted by Wardrum

Disgusting, but true.

I've said this before:

Unrestrained exponential growth is the operating mode of a cancer cell.
02/12/2019 03:12 PMPosted by Wotan
https://twitter.com/jjhill_ii

Also WoW Classic CM (https://twitter.com/CadenHouse). Sad day.

Edit: Added Caden's Twitter

I think that change in and of itself is scary for a lot of people. This could be good for the forum and the game. And I sincerely hope that Jesse and everyone else finds bigger and better things.

Personally, I think Activision-Blizzard laid off people that didn't share the same long term goals. What those goals are, I cannot say. Hopefully, they breathe new life into not only the game, but the community as a whole.
It's also important to know that these forums aren't all Jesse was responsible for. He also helped organize esports events and other public-facing content. It's the esports side that's seeming to really have gotten hit hard.

02/12/2019 08:01 PMPosted by Gwyneth
02/12/2019 03:12 PMPosted by Wotan
https://twitter.com/jjhill_ii

Also WoW Classic CM (https://twitter.com/CadenHouse). Sad day.

Edit: Added Caden's Twitter

I think that change in and of itself is scary for a lot of people. This could be good for the forum and the game. And I sincerely hope that Jesse and everyone else finds bigger and better things.

Personally, I think Activision-Blizzard laid off people that didn't share the same long term goals. What those goals are, I cannot say. Hopefully, they breathe new life into not only the game, but the community as a whole.

None of this is true. This is not good. There were some significant endeavors Jesse was spearheading that are now likely to be totally abandoned.
From Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/02/12/activision-blizzard-to-layoff-nearly-800-employees/#3c49359076f5

Activision Blizzard will boost by 20% the number of developers working on its major franchises—Call of Duty, Overwatch, Warcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo and Candy Crush—funding this move by cutting disappointing initiatives and employees layoffs.

I am just reading this now but it sounds like they are cutting the fat and beefing up development. This could end up being a great thing.
02/12/2019 08:04 PMPosted by Mand
It's also important to know that these forums aren't all Jesse was responsible for. He also helped organize esports events and other public-facing content. It's the esports side that's seeming to really have gotten hit hard.

That makes sense given the "survey" many were sent earlier in the year. It really did seem like they were looking to remove esports projects from their "to do" list.

02/12/2019 08:04 PMPosted by Mand
None of this is true. This is not good. There were some significant endeavors Jesse was spearheading that are now likely to be totally abandoned

Anything you can share? I am not asking you to abuse your privilege/relationship, so feel free to say "!@#$ off" so to speak (probably not in those words ;), more just curious what projects he was spearheading, as I am sure being CM here was a minor part of his role within the company.

curiosity killed the cat