Our CM, Jesse Hill let go...

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
02/12/2019 08:00 PMPosted by Mand
02/12/2019 06:56 PMPosted by Wardrum
...Not sure who downvoted this, but it's true.

Disgusting, but true.

ActiBlizz made records this past year, but things still fell short of expectations, so stock prices fell hard.

And once the layoffs happened, wouldn't ya know it? Stock prices started going right back up again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with objectively poor 2018 profits (or their new CFO who just got a 15 million dollar sign on bonus) and everything with investors' expectations still not being met.

I've said this before:

Unrestrained exponential growth is the operating mode of a cancer cell.

Hey... that's much shorter than I was going to say... Although I use the parasite angle.
Sad to see him gone. He wasn't nearly as present as I would have hoped, but still a welcome and positive presence that I believe was more active than we realised.

I fear the imminent return of the dozens of spam threads.

Also, this comes after great company growth, so I fear this is the old "Not wanting to make money, but wanting to make ALL of the money" issue.

https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/6412-malthael-isnt-the-only-one-reaping-souls-8-of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmW0GhdDOvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAUHXXMHPk
Sad news, good luck with your future, Jesse! Personally I thought you, and the other CMs, were far too gentle with the trolls, but I really appreciated your openness and involvement.

On a side note, nice to see the anti-capitalist tone here, solidarity.
The latest victim of trickle down economics...
02/12/2019 04:16 PMPosted by Warsong
Disgusting!

He was one of the best CM, how can you fire him, always posting and informing the customers/players here... what a ridiculous idea to fire a CM like him when you made RECORD profits.

Shame on this company. Really enrages me to see this disgusting move from Blizzard/Activision.

They're laying off a massive ammount of folks because Activision screwed up badly. At the same time they paid their new manager a 15 million bonus for being hired. Welcome to Actiblizzard.
02/12/2019 10:28 PMPosted by TheVoid
They're laying off a massive ammount of folks because Activision screwed up badly

Worse than that.

"They're laying off a massive ammount of folks" because Activision-Blizzard has made more money than ever before (hence justification for the 15 million bonus), but that is still "short of expectations" (hence "justification" for laying of 800 people).

Sources:
https://www.hearthpwn.com/news/6412-malthael-isnt-the-only-one-reaping-souls-8-of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAUHXXMHPk
R.I.P. I wish them all the best of luck in their future endeavors. );
I have been arguing with Blizzard fanboys for so long, it's good to finally be vindicated. People are starting to see this company for what it really is now. By removing their CMs they have proven once and for all that they do not care about community interaction and feedback. You are and always have been nothing but dollar signs for this greedy corporation. It's time to wake up - Blizzard is not your friend! I quit Hearthstone some time ago, but today I uninstalled all their games. Goodbye and good riddance.
While I never had any direct interaction with Jesse, I always got the impression that he had the best interests of the forums and the community at large at heart, which is the biggest compliment that I can give a CM. Sure I wish that there was a greater official presence on the forums, but that seems to be symptomatic of Blizzard's overall approach to their community relations rather than any fault of his. Good luck in the future man.
That's lame... I like Jesse since he has got a good sense of humour.
That's pretty depressing. Haven't talked with Jesse on these forums, but from what I've seen he seemed a pretty cool and patient guy. It's a shame.
02/12/2019 08:16 PMPosted by Bowser
02/12/2019 08:04 PMPosted by Mand
It's also important to know that these forums aren't all Jesse was responsible for. He also helped organize esports events and other public-facing content. It's the esports side that's seeming to really have gotten hit hard.

That makes sense given the "survey" many were sent earlier in the year. It really did seem like they were looking to remove esports projects from their "to do" list.

02/12/2019 08:04 PMPosted by Mand
None of this is true. This is not good. There were some significant endeavors Jesse was spearheading that are now likely to be totally abandoned

Anything you can share? I am not asking you to abuse your privilege/relationship, so feel free to say "!@#$ off" so to speak (probably not in those words ;), more just curious what projects he was spearheading, as I am sure being CM here was a minor part of his role within the company.

curiosity killed the cat

How about moving us to boards that dont flash white every time we load a page?
A really sad day for the hearthstone forums :(.
He always did a good job and I hope he will find something new very soon.
02/12/2019 06:31 PMPosted by Gishgeron

I just wanted to touch on this last part.

It's not "we made less billions".

Once investors are part of your corporate identity it's more like:

"We didn't make enough MORE billions so our investors didnt see large enough gains on their stocks for a return"

You can view being publicly or privately traded as being eaten by parasites. Either you grow enough extra flesh each year to feed them or they consume an organ. It's a terrifying system when you think about it. Investment money can spur you forward...but they will take more back than they give.

So even if you're a winner you still lose.

02/12/2019 08:00 PMPosted by Mand
<span class="truncated">...</span>Not sure who downvoted this, but it's true.

Disgusting, but true.

ActiBlizz made records this past year, but things still fell short of expectations, so stock prices fell hard.

And once the layoffs happened, wouldn't ya know it? Stock prices started going right back up again.

This whole thing has nothing to do with objectively poor 2018 profits (or their new CFO who just got a 15 million dollar sign on bonus) and everything with investors' expectations still not being met.

I've said this before:

Unrestrained exponential growth is the operating mode of a cancer cell.

I couldn't word it better than the three of you.
This is sad news indeed, Jesse was cool and well, one of the better CMs.
Atleast he seemed to give a something about the community.

I'm fearing that Actizard will distance themself further and further from the community now, since most jobs hit were the non-developer positions like Jesse's.
02/12/2019 10:28 PMPosted by TheVoid
They're laying off a massive ammount of folks because Activision screwed up badly. At the same time they paid their new manager a 15 million bonus for being hired. Welcome to Actiblizzard.

According to CEO of Activision-Blizzard, this is their best year they ever had.... so it's just ridiculous to see them to kick out all of those employees like lifeless tools.

For me, it's not only that, but recently it's been revealed that Blizzard employees are very under-payed. They can barely pay their rent with their jobs, while the top at Blizz and Acti are throwing at each other millions.

So this company is not only trying to rip off their own player-base, but also they are kicking around the people that make the business run. Horrible company... maybe that's the standard how it works in cooperate world. But if that's Blizzard in nutshell, this is not an organization that should have "fans" in the first place.
Jesse was the best community manager we had. He was also the only community manager we had. Is there going to be a replacement?
02/13/2019 04:30 AMPosted by Rassy
Jesse was the best community manager we had. He was also the only community manager we had. Is there going to be a replacement?

02/13/2019 03:14 AMPosted by OniEyes
This is sad news indeed, Jesse was cool and well, one of the better CMs.
Atleast he seemed to give a something about the community.

I'm fearing that Actizard will distance themself further and further from the community now, since most jobs hit were the non-developer positions like Jesse's.

The people fired were non-developers, aka. Community Managers and people whom worked with the community.

So short answer, no - highly unlikely.
Eh, honestly miss the days when it wasn't about lining shareholders pockets and game companies actually cared about their customers and making great content.. Even remember when companies like EA were decent! I don't think activisionblizzard are quite that bad yet, but it sucks to see them going down that path. Best of luck to the guy for the future, always sucks when you lose your job.