Our CM, Jesse Hill let go...

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6
02/13/2019 10:46 AMPosted by Wardrum
02/13/2019 10:41 AMPosted by jawsofwar
No coincidence that the rise of Russian spam threads are all over the place.

I am not a anti capitalist but the way blizzard Activision handled this has been pathetic. Problem with overpaid suits that have no clue how to run a business and fire the grunts doing all the work.

Who should really be fired? The people at the top that mismanaged the company for several years.

No vision for long term. Just short term profits.
I'd say that increasing resources allocated to the development side of games like Hearthstone counts as vision for long term.

That is reaching a touch.

Not much, mind you.

Look, over the last two years the actual cost to take this game on in a serious way has risen. Theres a YouTube series that actually covered it, but I cant recall the name. The fact they are allocating more of the most expensive resources to the team is a fairly clear sign they also have a plan to offset that cost.

Which is a gentle way of saying "getting more money out of you".

Given the few knobs they have to turn in this regard....I'm far less inclined to believe in a good vision. I personally foresee more development in the same terrible crap all of the industry is moving toward. To be blunt I see them exploiting the same things candy crush did.

In some way all of business is a tad vulture like. Given the layoffs, the looming threat of more, and the likely short window left to course correct...well....they really dont have a choice as I see it.

I'm personally looking elsewhere and into other options. If we had several community managers or personnel and some got cut as fat... sure. We had one. Cutting that one means we are the fat and I can see that mentality easily turning its eye toward free players in general.
He is a good person, he will do fine.
02/13/2019 11:27 AMPosted by Paf

wow, 2 downvotes?

So, you don't think he's a good person?

You don't think he will do fine?
02/13/2019 11:36 AMPosted by Paf
02/13/2019 11:27 AMPosted by Paf

wow, 2 downvotes?

I think the downvote fairies are out in full force.
02/13/2019 11:52 AMPosted by Wardrum
02/13/2019 11:36 AMPosted by Paf

wow, 2 downvotes?

I think the downvote fairies are out in full force.

Guess so. Pretty funny how people won't sign that though.
02/13/2019 12:00 PMPosted by Paf
02/13/2019 11:52 AMPosted by Wardrum
...I think the downvote fairies are out in full force.

Guess so. Pretty funny how people won't sign that though.
Don't worry, the Discourse servers don't have.... Dammit.
He deserves it.
" I personally foresee more development in the same terrible crap all of the industry is moving toward. To be blunt I see them exploiting the same things candy crush did."

Yup that is a guarantee,but I am already expecting that so it wont be a disappointment when that moment is there. Any additional time is a bonus.

"Cutting that one means we are the fat and I can see that mentality easily turning its eye toward free players in general."

They cant hurt free players,the game is not free to play though you can play and do well on a limited budget if you spend some time.
They have to give something for free because else the entrance fee would be to high and how can they ever sell anything if they don't lure people in first? That's what the f2p part is for,give lots of people the opportunity to get to know the game and hope a few of them will stick around and spend some money.
We recently also got more free stuff so I don't think they are cutting costs there,they cant even cut costs in that department since it doesn't cost them anything directly to give things for free. Their expenses dont get higher or lower.
The only thing they can do to hurt me as a free player is something in arena.
I have been expecting something to happen with arena for 3 years now because it feels to good to be true,but they still didn't and maybe they think its fine.

The game will be fine,blizz will cut some costs here and there and eventually the game will become very silly like candy crush but we are still pretty far of from that so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
I will miss you a lot jesse. You've always been very fair to me and others on this forum. Hopefully the future holds bigger and better things for you.
I'll miss you, Jesse! Best wishes for the future...
I have no idea what his bosses thought about the quality of his work, but contrary to some others on here, I thought he was far to gentle with suspensions and thread deletions.

The quality of the discourse on here is not generally all that great. There are about a dozen people on this forum (most of whom have multi-thousands of posts) that cause strife and pointless debates with nearly every post they make, adding pretty much nothing to the discussion, but routinely derailing and spamming the heck out of otherwise potentially interesting threads.

I'd have censored them aggressively ages ago, until they cut it out. And since some of them are clearly too arrogant to ever change, they'd probably all be banned by now.
On a related note, cool Twitter thread showing the gaming community coming together to help one of those laid off:

https://twitter.com/Eri_gc/status/1095503967730118656?s=19
From what I could see on a surface level, he did slightly more harm than good to the community. Not going into details on what it was exactly. I understand he meant well.

But with that said, as many know I do not take anything on here personal. I hope they offered him a exit package so that he can find another job prior to things getting tough.
I’m surprised and sad to hear about the downsizing, and I hope everyone is going to be ok. When I hear about things like this, I wonder how long it will be before I find myself in a similar situation :(.

Does anyone know if Overwatch League is at all to blame? Are they making money? I love it, but it does seem like it would be a relatively heavy, risky investment (I could be totally wrong; I’m just trying to guess at why they need to let go of folks).
02/13/2019 09:32 PMPosted by Zero
I’m surprised and sad to hear about the downsizing, and I hope everyone is going to be ok. When I hear about things like this, I wonder how long it will be before I find myself in a similar situation :(.

Does anyone know if Overwatch League is at all to blame? Are they making money? I love it, but it does seem like it would be a relatively heavy, risky investment (I could be totally wrong; I’m just trying to guess at why they need to let go of folks).
This has little, if anything, to do with OWL. The new COD, despite massive sales, actually undersold its goal by about 100 million units (as in copies of the game sold). The corporate execs had to simultaneously explain how they a) made record sales and b) failed to meet expectations. If you look at those two statements and think "that doesn't make sense", then congratulations! You see the problem with the current corporate gaming model that is leading many AAA publishers to seeing their stock drop in the past few months.
Farewell, you will be missed.