RnG takes SKILL

Play Mode Discussion
Hello all.

I am here to address people unhappy with the current amount of “rng” in the game claiming it makes the game “unfun.”

However, I disagree. Rng is calculated risk/reward calcuculations, and having “bad rng” is justbinplucit bias.

Like if you agree
As sir Wardrum (was it him?) once said (was it him?),
if RNG cards and effects didn't exist, games would be settled according to draw RNG anyways.
Because you know, cards in decks are piled following no specific order.

We need a little bit of Hagatha and Discover cards to spice things up or else it would be all Fungalmancers or close.
02/17/2019 12:42 PMPosted by blackveiled
if RNG cards and effects didn't exist, games would be settled according to draw RNG anyways.

We need a little bit of Hagatha and Discover cards to spice things up or else it would be all Fungalmancers or close.
This is something people often fail to consider.

Obviously there's a balance to be obtained, but knocking the game down to no RNG would be extremely frustrating once 'curvestone' would set in, and I say that as a Midrange I-love-my-good-curve-decks type of player.
RnG takes S̶K̶I̶L̶L̶ DOUGH

FTFY
02/17/2019 02:19 PMPosted by SandhuMrt
RnG takes S̶K̶I̶L̶L̶ DOUGH

FTFY
How does that even make sense?
A strategy game without any rng isn't a strategy game. It's a puzzle.

It would be nice to draw a purfect curve everytime, but that would get very boring and repetitive after awhile.
Just need two (non-voiced) emotes: "Ugh. Nice RNG" and "Wow. Nice RNG" (which really is the "Amazing" emote).

Or just a like Clan Royale, the dude pulling his hair....
6/10

Give some numbers and it would be even 7/10 in my opinion
Here is some educative material,

What is random ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMb00lz-IfE
02/17/2019 12:49 PMPosted by Wardrum
02/17/2019 12:42 PMPosted by blackveiled

This is something people often fail to consider.

Obviously there's a balance to be obtained, but knocking the game down to no RNG would be extremely frustrating once 'curvestone' would set in, and I say that as a Midrange I-love-my-good-curve-decks type of player.

If there wasn't any RNG effects, the complaint would be

"Waaaahhh! I didn't draw Chillwind Yeti on curve: its rigged against me!"

Princesses. Princesses everywhere.
02/18/2019 04:58 AMPosted by Gwyneth
02/17/2019 12:49 PMPosted by Wardrum
...This is something people often fail to consider.

If there wasn't any RNG effects, the complaint would be

"Waaaahhh! I didn't draw Chillwind Yeti on curve: its rigged against me!"

Princesses. Princesses everywhere.
Errrrywhere!
When people aren’t complaining about too much RNG they are complaining that Genn/Baku have no RNG and are too consistent.

Sometimes the same people.
02/17/2019 09:07 PMPosted by andrewlik

It would be nice to draw a purfect curve everytime, but that would get very boring and repetitive after awhile.

So chess isnt a strategy game?

Nor starcraft?

Also, I find rng dictating wins more boring than less rng games.
02/18/2019 05:25 AMPosted by splintertwin
02/17/2019 09:07 PMPosted by andrewlik

So chess isnt a strategy game?

Nor starcraft?

Also, I find rng dictating wins more boring than less rng games.
Now play chess, but with the order in which your piece are placed on your first two rows completely randomized. You didn't dictate anything about that.

That's just the draw RNG portion. Having the option to cope with that initial layout would add a new layer of depth and options to compensate for potentially getting screwed out of the gate with a bad initial board layout, which is why we have RNG effects in Hearthstone.
Chess and Go are not card games. They're state machines with solvable outcomes where the strategy lies in how well you guess the future state of the machine versus how well you mislead your opponent about your intended future state of the machine.

Hearthstone IS a card game that's played with a very limited set of cards and moreover is intended to be quick-paced with a duration of 5-10 minutes. If there was no randomness at all then it, too, would become solvable and repetitive very quickly.

You only have to look at the early metas when the game was young to see this. The biggest complaints were that decks were so consistent that interaction was unnecessary. Heck, in beta the neutral minions were so consistent that every single hero played the same set of "best" neutral minions.

We've seen Tavern Brawls where randomness was neutralized and they were yawn fests.

Like it or not, in a fast game where you draw maybe 15 cards in most matches, random effects insert variance and surprise whose lack would otherwise make for a straight-forward and ultimately dull experience.
I also find that there is good and bad RNG even among the RNG cards.

Something like knife juggler is fine (although MAY be too cheap in some decks). It is a minor, sometimes highly leveragable effect, and you can play around what it does.

Something like hagatha is much less ok. It spawns tons of spells with wildly differing game impacts. You don't know what you are up against, or what to play around after she hits the board. Your opponent might have 3 volcanoes, 2 healing rains now, etc.

Some RNG is fine, even healthy to keep the game fresh and exciting. It is too easy for it to get out of hand though.