Rogue Surprisingly Dominant 2/20 Brawl

Tavern Brawl Discussion
After ~60 games in this brawl, I feel comfortable saying that Rogue has emerged as the surprise OP dominant force, behind mage.

A shrine that casts all spells twice is extremely powerful.

That makes it easy, too easy in my opinion, for rogues to remove the opponent's shrine and minions. The double casting also allows rogues to easily buff their own minion, as well as fill their own board, thanks to Ambusher.

Unlike with other heroes, such as Paladin, killing the rogues' shrine doesn't really cripple them. Rogues have so many ridiculously low-cost spells, they just fill their hand with them until the shrine reactivates, then unleash a wave of removals and damage that is nearly impossible to recover from.

Minion-based heroes seem to have very little chance against rogues. The only one I've consistently had success with is Mage, because with the right combo in hand, it can OTK.
Warlock vs Rogue. Warlock 7 Rogue 0
02/22/2019 12:44 PMPosted by EATMOREKITTY

Could be opponents getting bad hands or playing badly. Warlock is a competitive match for Rogue, but rogue should do very well.

Edited to add: Gotta admit, though, Warlock opponents have been a nightmare for me playing certain heroes, like druid.
I can understand the totem. It's fairly balanced. However the minion that gives them all the played spells back. Another that fills thier board with pirates and has rush. A third minion that draws them spells from spells played.

I think I've played around 5 games this brawl and I've seen only one minion for warlock that discards and draws on overkill. I lost a game with priest to rogue with the rush fill the board with pirates. Felt unfair since all I got in my priest deck seemed to be normal cards.

Oh well I guess every class got three busted minions? and I just got unlucky.
02/22/2019 01:01 PMPosted by Streak
02/22/2019 12:44 PMPosted by EATMOREKITTY

Could be opponents getting bad hands or playing badly. Warlock is a competitive match for Rogue, but rogue should do very well.

Edited to add: Gotta admit, though, Warlock opponents have been a nightmare for me playing certain heroes, like druid.
Update. Rogue just kicked my butt, and quick. Then got three rage quits in a row. But not against Rogue
Hooktusk is only really strong going 2nd, IMO. That's why I personally would rank him 3rd in this brawl, behind Malacrass and Jeklik.

If he can't coin up to 3 (or even better, 5) mana on the first turn (and do something good with it) his totem just gets wrecked and he's dead before he can recover from that.
3rd loss to Rogue. Shoulda kept my mouth shut
02/22/2019 01:44 PMPosted by Maelstrom
Hooktusk is only really strong going 2nd, IMO. That's why I personally would rank him 3rd in this brawl, behind Malacrass and Jeklik.

If he can't coin up to 3 (or even better, 5) mana on the first turn (and do something good with it) his totem just gets wrecked and he's dead before he can recover from that.

Good points.
Double-casted Academic Espionage + that minion that draws a -2 discounted Spell each time you activate a Spell is absolutely nuts: Spell after Spell after Spell for 0 mana each time.

Rogue's easily the #2 class this Brawl. But it just doesn't stand a chance vs Jeklik's random Demons (hint for playing Jeklik: mulligan the Quest. I've done some tests and the deck's so much better without. You're way better off starting with a 1 mana discard for a random Demon, or Malchezaar's Imp. Heck, in all the times I did play the Quest I never even got to play the Portal because I'd win way too early for that)
Rogue and Warlock are totally OP in this tavern brawl. I had to play warrior for a quest. I did it only because some people instantly conceded =/
I may have underestimated Paladin this brawl. He gets the right opening hand, it's game over before it even starts.

Have had several games where I was dead by turn 4. One game, the pally had the coin and cut me down to 5 health by turn 2. There wasn't much I could do. Felt like a pool game where the other guy breaks and then runs the table.

I think the Paladin shrine has too much health for how dangerous it is. Especially given that the pally deck also has a bunch of heals, so the shrine damage can easily be mitigated.

Makes it even more fun to beat those guys, though. :-)