Odd cost Secret Mage deck minions

Play Mode Discussion
After some advice from here (thank you!) I've tweaked my deck, but still haven't had the burning question answered... Aside from the basics (ragnaros, frost lich, black cat etc) what MINIONS should I be using in my odd cost Secret Mage deck? Any advice?
Odd-cost minions. Ragnaros is not one of them.
02/24/2019 02:28 PMPosted by SSD

Oh child, if only you knew...
Frost Lich Jaina shouldn't be in your deck if you're playing the aggressive secret variant.

You'll want things like Secret Keeper, Kirin Tor Mage, Daring Fire-Eater, Pyromaniac, and Clockwork Automaton, which synergize with the deck's theme and hero power.

Take a look at the most popular list
https://hsreplay.net/decks/rRtjzUs0LjjNRfLdFFokSd/

They're likely referring to Jan'alai.
02/24/2019 03:13 PMPosted by freckles

That´s basically it. Instead of Dire Mole i use Wretched Tiller. It´s not popular but very agressive. You could also switch a Nightblade for another Counterspell.
Nightblade is garbage.

Latest Vs version.

### Subject 9 Aggro-Odd Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Daring Fire-Eater
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Secretkeeper
# 2x (3) Black Cat
# 2x (3) Cinderstorm
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 1x (3) Mirror Entity
# 2x (3) Pyromaniac
# 1x (3) Splitting Image
# 1x (3) Stargazer Luna
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Subject 9
# 1x (7) Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAf0ECHHDAa8E7vYCnvgCp4IDqIcDtogDC54BtATsBevCAo/TAtHhAovlAvvsAr36AqSHA82JAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/deck-library/mage-decks/aggro-odd-mage/subject-9-aggro-odd-mage/

It is when your hero power deals 8 damage and a 7 cost card summons him!
02/24/2019 04:55 PMPosted by Urza
Nightblade is garbage.

Latest Vs version.

### Subject 9 Aggro-Odd Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Daring Fire-Eater
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Secretkeeper
# 2x (3) Black Cat
# 2x (3) Cinderstorm
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 1x (3) Mirror Entity
# 2x (3) Pyromaniac
# 1x (3) Splitting Image
# 1x (3) Stargazer Luna
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Subject 9
# 1x (7) Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAf0ECHHDAa8E7vYCnvgCp4IDqIcDtogDC54BtATsBevCAo/TAtHhAovlAvvsAr36AqSHA82JAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/deck-library/mage-decks/aggro-odd-mage/subject-9-aggro-odd-mage/

Thank you!
02/24/2019 03:29 PMPosted by BillDoor
02/24/2019 03:13 PMPosted by freckles

That´s basically it. Instead of Dire Mole i use Wretched Tiller. It´s not popular but very agressive. You could also switch a Nightblade for another Counterspell.

Do you know why anyone uses dire mole? Is it some sort of strategy? I've used it in a hunter deck, but not understanding it's value in my mage deck aside from being a 1 cost
Dire Mole is just a good 1 drop. 1/3 for 1 is solid and combined with mage 2 dmg odd power means you can contest anything early.
02/24/2019 05:12 PMPosted by Urza
Dire Mole is just a good 1 drop. 1/3 for 1 is solid and combined with mage 2 dmg odd power means you can contest anything early.

Perfect, so same with firefly then too?
I didn't know these forums were so helpful or I would've been here along time ago! Thanks for your reply :)
02/24/2019 05:12 PMPosted by Urza

Perfect, so same with firefly then too? :)

Pretty much. The same logic applies for Odd Rogue: if on turn 1 you play something that has at least 1 attack, on your next turn you will have the option of dealing 1, 2, or 3 damage to an opponent’s minion depending on what you need to accomplish. This means no matter what the opponent plays, whether its a priority minion like a Northshire Cleric, a split minion like Lost in the Jungle, or just a banal 2/3 of some kind, you can always handle it.

It’s not that they’re “good”; at heart, they’re only vanilla minions with no effects, but they make the math work out when you need it to most, and that counts for a lot more than their stats suggest.
02/24/2019 05:41 PMPosted by Teo
It’s not that they’re “good”; at heart, they’re only vanilla minions with no effects, but they make the math work out when you need it to most, and that counts for a lot more than their stats suggest.

The presence of one of these 1-drops combined with the upgraded hero power also makes it less valuable for the opponent to attempt to answer them with their own 1-drops. This is also something you should keep in mind when going second.
02/25/2019 06:51 AMPosted by WingedKagout
The presence of one of these 1-drops combined with the upgraded hero power also makes it less valuable for the opponent to attempt to answer them with their own 1-drops. This is also something you should keep in mind when going second.
But also note that gaining tempo, or stalling the opponent's tempo further can be the right choice. Not so much against odd rogue, as their weapon has 2 charges, but when going against odd mage, forcing them to hero power instead of building a board can help you get back in the game in the long run, especially on their turn 3 or 4. So depending on your deck and hand, don't hesitate to throw a 2 hp minion on the board just so it gets killed by their hero power.