Help: Cubelock Deck

Play Mode Discussion
I am stuck at Rank 18 with a cubelock deck. I just cant seem to progress past that stage. Am I just piloting it wrong or is the deck just bad? Anyone plays cubelock here, can you give me your decklist? That way if I copy it and still lose, then I will know the problem's with me xD
### Standard Cube Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Dark Pact
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Doomsayer
# 1x (3) Prince Taldaram
# 2x (4) Hellfire
# 2x (4) Lesser Amethyst Spellstone
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 2x (5) Carnivorous Cube
# 2x (5) Doomguard
# 2x (5) Faceless Manipulator
# 1x (5) Skull of the Man'ari
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 2x (6) Possessed Lackey
# 1x (7) Lord Godfrey
# 2x (9) Voidlord
# 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
#
AAECAf0GBsnCApfTAp3iAtvpApz4AqCAAwyKAZME9wS2B+EH58sC8tAC+NACiNICi+EC/OUC6OcCAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/deck-library/warlock-decks/cube-warlock/standard-cube-warlock-6/

This is the list from VS. You can swap out a piece here and there (eg taldaram and umbra aren’t 100% necessary if you don’t have them).

This isn’t the easiest deck to pilot. Even if you have all the pieces it will take time and practice to get good with it.
Can someone explain to me why people keep 2 doomsayers? If I get a doomsayer at say...turn 6 then is it still as useful as a turn 2-3 doomsayer?
It depends on the deck you are facing and the board state. Sometimes it’s a dead card particularly against decks that don’t run a lot of minions and are looking to otk you.

An example of where it could be useful in the late game is where you’ve lost the board and are trying to conserve life. It acts as a taunt. You can also hide it behind a void lord to make it hard for your opponent to save his board.

Plated beetle is the usual substitute if you don’t have them or don’t feel they are useful in the meta you’re seeing
cant i just run a twisting nether for those kinds of situations? sorry if its too many questions, but i want to get better at this deck :D
Nether doesn’t really help you against aggressive decks though which is the main reason the doomsayers are run. Playing them early can really disrupt aggressive decks that can otherwise give you trouble if you don’t draw hellfire or defile.

If you run Godfrey it’s also redundant as he is excellent at clearing board and leaves you with a body afterwards.
i see. how about tar creepers, and rin? will having more taunts help? I seem to get run over every game I don't find skull of manari. These pesky hunters and priests go out of control. I even keep a siphon soul in my deck just in case. I'm probably not going the right way, am i?
That deck list looks good.

You really want to find Defile and Hellfire v Hunter.

I would also say that Twisting Nether is not really needed alongside Godfrey. Siphon Soul works against what your trying to do with the deck. You want to hold off your opponent for the first few turns until you can play your combos. The goal of the deck is to set up powerful turns, the goal doesn't really involve playing control style matches. You want to be proactive, which is why Siphon Soul and Twisting Nether are not typically included. Hence why Doomsayers are much better early game v Aggro than late game removal.

It is not a very easy deck to pilot, hopefully that helps a little.
I'm beginning to get the general idea here. Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed replies.
02/25/2019 05:15 AMPosted by Bourgeoisie
I'm beginning to get the general idea here. Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed replies.

To be honest if you are new to HS, cubelock isn't the easiest to pilot. Gone was the day u can afford to use health recklessly as a resource. Decision on doom guard and discard is also an issue if its worth it. Cube a giant, voidlord or doom guard is situational. You have to understand the meta v well and have expectation of what card to come and know what to mulligan to truly play cubelock well.
02/25/2019 05:20 AMPosted by Nullspace
To be honest if you are new to HS, cubelock isn't the easiest to pilot. Gone was the day u can afford to use health recklessly as a resource. Decision on doom guard and discard is also an issue if its worth it. Cube a giant, voidlord or doom guard is situational. You have to understand the meta v well and have expectation of what card to come and know what to mulligan to truly play cubelock well.

That is pretty much spot on.

Also on your question about the doomsayer on turn 6. You want to use it to set up the following turn after a board clear (say you find a Defile and clear the board play doomsayer after). If you already have board control than its pretty useless but your most likely winning anyways.
Decks that run 2 of something isn't always to play both, sometimes it is a necessary tactic to ensure likeliness to draw it early. Also if nothing else it prevents 7+ dmg to the face and/or fishes removals, which is typically what you're looking to do if you're in a desperate situation. Obviously won't work if they can get lethal or close. Playing them is always tricky, don't get greedy and wait until they have 2+ minions on board, one is fine, 2 works at times, mostly you're preventing them from playing any cards that turn, the board minions is a bonus. You'll see a lot of people who play it with no minions on the board just to stall a turn. Tar creepers are pretty valuable in any deck, if you're losing to aggro its not a bad idea. Since you're running Cube Witchwood Grizzly isn't a bad idea either. If it dies it dies but if you can cube it to come back 3/12 twice its gonna force hard AOE removal and/or be a pain to get through. Charged Delvisaur is worth considering once you can polish out the early game control side of the deck. 14-28 to the face if it can survive to be cubed. If not it's a 8 cost 7/7 rush that is like to fish some removal after. If you're gonna run defile you might want to consider something like cheaty anklebiter if you have it, (2/1 lifesteal battlecry deal 1 dmg), can make a huge difference. If you got a board of 1/1 and 3/3 you can ping a 3/3 now you're doing 4+ to everything instead of 2. Mad bomber can be useful for it as well, possibly pyromancer.

Also you may want to run treachery for the reason you mentioned about late game doomsayer, 5 mana combo board clear they can't prevent, the second you end your turn it'll wipe the board. Ratcatcher can be used as a trigger to Cube and has rush so it'll help with mid/late game removal as well, that's a 8 mana combo (assuming the minion you cube was already on board) trigger the cube, and get a 6/8 rush out of it. You'll have to sacrifice Prince for those combos (3 cost) but I think it'd be worth it. In my experience running Cube in Hunter, trying to go too crazy on the copy/trigger doesn't matter, the matches you lose are early game, the matches you win likely would've won without going extra, and with AOE removals / board clears like Psychic Scream I'd be worried about putting too much value down on one board just to have it all shuffled into my deck and lose trigger.

Based on that deck list its hard to say what can go, I see what you're doing. I haven't played it so take what I say with a grain a salt, and use your judgment based on what works and doesn't.

I'd consider removing 1 voidlord. For 1, it's a 9 cost you don't want to burn a hole in your hand early and cost you the game, limit your chances of drawing it early by only having 1 in your deck. It can be copied, cubed, and resummoned, and it isn't a part of your win condition, its a stall technique. You'd be better off playing Delvisaur for an additional win condition if you can get it to stick and cube it, even one time is 14 dmg, double trigger is 28, and it costs less than void.

I'd personally get rid of kobald in favor in control tools or in the least, the lifesteal 1 dmg battlecry I mentioned (anklebiter). An alternative would be elven archer but it doesn't help spellstone. You don't run enough restore health minions to properly boost your health or spellstone, anklebiter will help, typically I see people who run those cards using lightwarden, voodoo doctor, lifedrinker(4), shroom brewer (4), fungal enchanter (3), and a bunch of mill cards with Mecha'Thun. Focus only on stall/control/mill/heal and finally the combo to OTK auto-win.

In that deck you're aiming for cubing doomguard after he gets pulled via skull ideally, delvisaur gives you another option (Battlecry doesn't trigger so its basically 7/7 charge once cubed), that is your primary win condition. Everything else needs to be early game removal, survival by any means, stall, board clear, heal, but don't want to go too heavy on mana like twisting nether cause most of your losses are gonna come before that and/or they'll kill you anyways.

If you use anklebiter it should help you have a little better options with defile between that and hellfire you should be able to control early game and survive to your win condition, spell stone for bigger minions mid game, and then if you don't draw doomguard hopefully 1 void will help you survive until you do. You're bound to get one or the other, delvisaur gives an additional option just make sure you're surviving long enough to play it and try to fish removals if possible, worse case if it dies you still got 2 doomguards to cube and it still cleared a minion and fished a removal or forced them to trade more minions.

Although prince and faceless manipulator look great on paper, I'd say they're not necessary, maybe 1 manipulator and replace Prince with treachery for an automatic board clear for 5 mana. That's also going to contaminate the death pool of Priest which is one of the most popular classes in T1 decks right now with about 3-4 viable deck options (Big Priest, Dragon/Control Priest, Wall Priest, Gallery / Res Priest). Now when they resummon 4 minions theirs a chance that they summon your Doomsayer you gifted them along with it and you can just end turn and it'll wipe the other 3 if they don't have a destroy 3 or less or some alternative method to silence or destroy their own 0/7 after spending 7 mana which is unlikely.

Umbra also sounds great on paper, and you'd know better if that actually works consistently, again in my experience even using 3/6 bodies with hunter for rush and double deathrattle, its pretty difficult to get them to stick, being 3/6 for 4 mana makes it worth playing cause it's gonna force trades and fish removals, but a 3/4 for 4 mana basically requires you to have 10 mana or risk silence or some other means of removal that negates the deathrattle (Hex, Sheep, Sap, etc.). Again I don't like putting that much value down, and until you get to that point its burning a hole in your hand cause you're trying to save it for the combo, and/or forced to play it for 4 mana as a 3/4 without hope of utilizing its ability. Again I feel like if you can manage that combo, you've already won the game without it.

You're better off focusing on cubing minions with charge instead of trying to force a double trigger that might get returned to your hand or shuffled into your deck. I'd also consider running only 1 Lackey in favor of control tools if you're having trouble with the early game.

Hope that helps, play around with it. My general rule of thumb when tweaking decks and home brewing is to keep an eye on what cards I'm holding when I lose and take note and consider removing some combo cards for early game removal or other means of survival to get yourself to the point of pulling off your combo. If your almost dead you're not gonna be able to pull it off anyways.
I had a lot of experience with the deck. It is a pretty greedy deck.

Hellfire dealing damage to your face is also a problem.

I always feel like it lacks healing.

While mountain giant can single handedly win you matches, against aggro, it is not gonna come out at turn 4. Your turn 4 will be hellfire, in majority cases.

It does help against control, pressure are great, but then again, shadow word death is a thing, deadly shot is a thing. Mountain giant is in a bad shape right now, I suggest playing with 2 4 mana 4/4 heal 4 instead, at least in this meta where the aggro and combo are countering 8/8 hard.

I run a different plan than the decklist given by @Guldin, I DON'T RUN possessed Lackey since the nerf to 6 mana, not 2 at least, just 1.

With a deck that heavy on board clear, and so heavy on draw, and the fact that the combo is basically a 7 mana recruit doomguard, which basically means you are summoning 5/7 charge for 7 mana with heal 4 and 2 controled pieces.

I used 1 just in case, some times it does win me games, but most often than not, nop.

Zilliax and Godfrey are that, solid.
Umbra is for super greedy game plan, i would argue having taldaram is enough.
Cube, taldaram, Guldan DK Hero power is my fav combo ;)
In these card's place, I suggest running the 5 mana 4/5 taunt and deathrattle heal 4. Pretty solid tank and heal.

Just my 2 cents

Edit :
A while ago, i also run 2 Star aligner in the deck, and it worked pretty well!
Cubed doomguard, and popping it already set up the star aligner play, i was trashing a lot of decks! (Pre wall priest meta, and this garbage !@# meta)
02/25/2019 06:26 AMPosted by Ramza

Edit :
Cubed doomguard, and popping it already set up the star aligner play, i was trashing a lot of decks! (Pre wall priest meta, and this garbage !@# meta)

I haven't played Warlock since early HS, but that's why I like the idea of running Treachery since there's 2 doomsayers. Not only is that a 5 mana combo wipe any board, but it also pollutes Priest's deathpool and could easily sabatoge them if they res 4 minions.
02/25/2019 06:40 AMPosted by Phenomenal
02/25/2019 06:26 AMPosted by Ramza

Edit :

I haven't played Warlock since early HS, but that's why I like the idea of running Treachery since there's 2 doomsayers. Not only is that a 5 mana combo wipe any board, but it also pollutes Priest's deathpool and could easily sabatoge them if they res 4 minions.

" Warriors of the frozen wastes... Rise."
" Gorge your hatred! Embrace your rage."
" *statue noises*"
" The End is coming!!!"
Probably one of the most beautiful things one could witness in Hearthstone.