Why are people so against OTK in this meta?

Play Mode Discussion
I read many posts in this forum on people complaining about lack of interaction, OTK, board state no longer matter etc. Just a quick look at statistic. Top 10 decks are as follows:

1. Secret paly - Aggro
2. Odd paly - Aggro
3. Even paly - mid range
4. Wall priest - combo (not otk)
5. Secret odd mage - Aggro
6. Deathrattle hunter - Mid range
7. Odd warrior - Control
8. Odd quest warrior - Control
9. Odd rogue - Aggro
10. Evenlock - Control

So top 10 is 4 Aggro, 2 mid range, 3 control, 1 combo and 0 OTK. 7 different classes quite diverse except Paly can be too OP to have top 3 decks in the game. The best OTK deck is Maly druid at tier 2 and the Mecha thun druid / lock and tiger paly are all tier 4.

With the above statistic, why are people still complaining about OTK. Am I missing something?

Note: Didnt meet a single OTK deck in the last week at rank 4 for myself.
I think people are against the extreme polarization that the game has become.

Its one thing to have a low win rate against a deck, its another thing for the opponent to be literally unbeatable.

Do you find it find it fun when you draw an opponent that's the perfect counter to his deck? you already knew you won, there is no challenge, you just play out the turns till the inevitable. Ive been seeing a lot of auto concedes recently, because its just a waste of time even playing the game out.
02/26/2019 09:13 AMPosted by Flarkyou

Its one thing to have a low win rate against a deck, its another thing for the opponent to be literally unbeatable.

Do you find it find when you draw an opponent that's the perfect counter to his deck? you already knew you won, there is no challenge, you just play out the turns till the inevitable. Ive been seeing a lot of auto concedes recently, because its just a waste of time even playing the game out.

Yes I agree with the polarization which surprisingly is best at the toxic cubelock meta. But even in old days hearthstone, combo beat control, control beat aggro and aggro beat combo have exist. Just these days the polarization seems alot worst which I believe is the real problem and not OTK decks.
Shaman, where are thee, brotha!
In fact, now the whole ladder is packed with priests with mind blasts. And the Druids do not share with the kobold.
Because they feel and are one-dimensional, due to the extremely potent board clears they have.
This of course applies to many control decks, as well.
Those tools are partly the reason for the polarisation.
Since *many control and combo decks rely on removal to essentially win the game, and not minions (excluding the combo pieces, which really do not add to the diversity of the game), games tend to end the same way.

Then add the fact, that those decks are very popular, right now, the polarization, the short-sighted nerfs and the lack of player agency and class diversity (Druid is dead, different archetypes are oppressed/new decks cannot be refined in such environments, etc.), and you have, afaik, most of the reasons alot of people dislike OTKs.

We also just recently had an auto-win/-lose meta.
Might worsen the frustration.

I could, very well, be wrong though.

*correction. There are control decks that use minions extensively, as of right now.
OP, you answered your own question.

People complain for no good reason. They complain about OTK because it’s flashy. I even see people complaining about Antonidas and that’s a garbage deck.

While there’s not many complaints about Paladin directly, there’s a lot of hell of a lot of Baku/Genn complaining which is 2/3 of top tier Paladin.
Because playing against them is exhausting. To be fair, this goes for most meta decks.
I think it’s the fact that otk decks make the match last a lot longer then normal matches for you to just lose on one turn. Thats just my guess though.
Because like every other game beside Hearthstone it an easy punch game ur opponent in the face in every card game dislike OTK because it easy to win face hit game
We all want to Punch someone in the face and that why every card game allows you that option and it OTK "One Turn Kíll" deck
I never liked especially Yuigoh "Mask Chain" OTK deck.
"Trinty Hero Fusion" OTK deck is worst too
OTК deck play almost with themselves. Their main goal is to scroll through the deck and find combos. The enemy is simply boring to play with them, there is no interaction, there are interesting exchanges on the table. It is also very difficult to prevent the enemy from realizing this combo, it’s only good from the warlock. Such decks kill all the interesting gameplay that we could see in the game. Dealing with so much damage on your turn, without the opportunity to counter it, your opponent simply should not be in the game.
Nah. You missed the point.

It's not about players being strictly against the idea of OTK.

The problem is a lack of counter-strategies to OTK decks aside from recklessly going face and hoping the opponent dies before their unstoppable win condition goes off.

Which is just bad game design.
02/26/2019 12:49 PMPosted by Swift
The problem is a lack of counter-strategies to OTK decks aside from recklessly going face and hoping the opponent dies before their unstoppable win condition goes off.

A counterstrategy against a deck that is occupied only with a search of cards will also be boring.
02/26/2019 12:45 PMPosted by FaboanGrosb
OTК deck play almost with themselves. Their main goal is to scroll through the deck and find combos. The enemy is simply boring to play with them, there is no interaction, there are interesting exchanges on the table. It is also very difficult to prevent the enemy from realizing this combo, it’s only good from the warlock. Such decks kill all the interesting gameplay that we could see in the game. Dealing with so much damage on your turn, without the opportunity to counter it, your opponent simply should not be in the game.

OTK is one turn kill game in "every Card" game. Trinity Hero Fusion and Masked Hero deck it worst cuz if ur opponent's first it his last play because he wins the game
You aren't taking into account the decks that can't survive in the meta because OTKs will just rise up and destroy them. You can't play a classic control deck at all anymore. You can't out last an opponent if they have an unstoppable kill ability. I mean combo should be strong against control, but there should be tech options for control decks to have a better chance of beating combo. Right now those don't exist (except for warlock for some reason).

Polarization is out of control when the bad matchups are like 90%+ losses. There should still be some chance to outplay your opponent or get a lucky draw vs their doom draw. It's just not like that anymore and hasn't been like that for a while.
Problems with the game right now as i see it
(and which made me quit the game for good):

-The OTK decks are too potent.
Not even aggro can reliably rush the newschool combo decks down, so there is no hard counter.
The new philosophy seems to be "there can't be any hard counters because hard counters mean polarisation, and polarisation is an evil in and of itself".
Which is not completely wrong, but it is one of the most stupid solutions to a problem i ever came to witness.

-There are way too many board clears available, so nobody has to ever play a minion.
Also, nobody gets any opportunity to make any mistakes any longer, because the only mistake would be NOT to play a board clear when you have one (which is *always*).
You don't have to make them count any more.
Opponent has 3 minions or more? Wipe the board! No exceptions.
Board clears are so plentiful it literally makes zero sense to even try and bait them out because you would need to play 50+ minions in order to do so.

-Powerlevel of some cards (especially the DKs) is so ridiculously high that in every game, there is a chance that the game would tip over and end right then and there because one player got lucky and could play his 10.000.000 value card and enter god mode, while the other player can do nothing about it.
And to top it off, there is no downside to playing them and you can't be punished for it.

-The win% difference between a world class player and an average joe is at about an estimated 3% right now.
This is a result of dumbing down the game to appeal to the masses, nerfing every deck that performs above average in the hand of high legend players and increasing the power level (and thus the volatility) in the game, which makes matches more of a dice roll than anything else.
Why even bother learning the game?
Just play some big card.
It is "fun".
Timmy *SMASH*!!!

-Ruthlessly destroying player's investment into the game by having them spend 10.000 dust on a deck and then making the whole deck unplayable by tweaking a preferrably low cost card, denying any form of ADEQUATE(!!!) reimbursement even though THEY messed up so hard they had to nerf stuff, not us, is just nasty.
And this happened to me once too many times.
Wait.
Make that 5 too many.

I haven't played the game for a few weeks now and i don't miss it even one bit.
I *do* miss naxx/brm HS, though.
That was a fun game.
I wonder why needed to ruin it, but i presume the answer to that is greed.
02/26/2019 09:13 AMPosted by Flarkyou

Do you find it find it fun when you draw an opponent that's the perfect counter to his deck? you already knew you won, there is no challenge, you just play out the turns till the inevitable. Ive been seeing a lot of auto concedes recently, because its just a waste of time even playing the game out.

This is exactly me. I need the game to have challenge. Plays, counter plays, and no clear outcome till the end. It's to be a game, not a grind.

When I play a deck so much stronger than another players, I yawn... hell, sometimes I just concede because I can't be bothered going through it. Or if I come across a deck with near 100% win rate against mine, I concede. Why put both of us through the grind, wait for animations to complete and turns.
Otk should be part of game but it should be difficult and not turn 9 clone gallery I win