Is Hearthstone really that bad rn?

Play Mode Discussion
Is Hearthstone really that bad right now? According to the forums, everything is a dumpster fire and it's the worst game ever created. I still find myself enjoying the game tbh, ranked is pretty fun for me and I love playing arena. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I enjoy the game as well. Things could be better and I get some complaints, but people here seem incapable of displaying moderate reactions. The game is either "the worst ever" or everything is perfect. It doesn't occur to them that you can still mostly like a game and still have complaints, so if you are remotely positive you get labled a fanboy. It's just ridiculous. Keep on enjoying the game man, haters gonna hate.
I played about 15 games this morning/afternoon, most of them were against OTK decks, either Mechathun Lock or Gallery Priest where mind blast x 2 killed me. What I played up until the point of my defeat was mostly irrelevant. So yeah, it's in a very unsatisfying state i would say.
No, Hearthstone is not that bad right now, but it's the end of the year and that means that the people who like to complain have a whole year's worth of content to complain about.

Here's the thing - There are tens of millions of Hearthstone players. This forum represents a tiny sliver of them; barely a fraction of a single percentage. People who are content don't post much, so what you see most of are the discontented who may or may not have good reason to be discontented. Especially given that a significant portion of the discontented are serially discontented - the people who post about every little thing that ruins their victories or who are positive that Blizzard is a puppet for Activision and Activision is a front for the Illuminati or who are convinced that all corporations are super villains who delight in exploiting their customers in every imaginable fashion.

When you see the usual suspects posting about a variety of unfocused complaints that are all over the map, it typically means that things are fairly okay overall. When you see lots of individuals whose names are unfamiliar, who make reasonable sounding comments, and who all seem to be posting about more or less the same concerns, that's when you can tell that something is going on that might require some attention and action by the devs.

Right now, I'd say we're "okay". I wouldn't expect any major changes between now and April, given that we just went live with the latest round of nerfs and Spring 2019 reveal season is just a month or so away.
I don't think Hearthstone is really all that bad right now, I just think it is full of "gimmick" decks. I am sitting at 8 in Standard and it is all the fatigue Druid, Hunters of all types, and resurrect and/or one shot you with topsy turvy Priests. For me, the same decks over and over just get boring to play against especially the gimmicky ones that really do not involve a lot of thinking/strategy to play.
It's alright, Is it RE2 Remake, or RDR 2? No. Is it a half decent way to kill 10 mins waiting for a bus or sitting on the can? Yes

Besides it's free so I can't complain to vociferously, I wouldn't dream of spending actual money on it though
At the moment I would say this has to be one of its lowest points. Last year was bad with jades but this year has been plagued by so many OTK decks it’s reduced the game from an interactive game to just people playing solitaire to see who draws their combos out first. Add that to the lack of viable decks leading to the repetitiveness of playing the same games over and over I just don’t see why anyone actually thinks this game is “fun”. People like to bash people who criticise this game as “complaining” (and yes some people are just trolling) but most complaints are grounded in some truth (however subjective that may be). So far no one defending the game has actually explained why they like it other than to say “lots of people play it”...

I think hearthstone gets allot of passes that other card games don’t (and have actually resulted in the compleate decline of those games) because it’s the only established digital card game. It gives players an easy, accessible, casual outlet to experience a competitive card game scene with people around the world and have a hobby which they would otherwise have to physically go and purchase and then travel to a location with a competitive scene (that might not even exist in their local area). As a result it’s mostly this or nothing. As a result game developers can get away with sloppy card design and a hands off approach to dealing with problems, leaving there community to sit in it for months on end and players will take it because what other choice is there? MtGA? Good luck with that one...

I’m very hopeful of next season as the last 3 expansions have shown considerable restraint compared to the 3 bellow but with the odd card like Mecha’thun still being s*it out it makes me wonder...
The forums are in a very negative state and being taken over by the most misinformed and disingenuous players.

People complain the December ninja nerfs shocked and surprised them...

Then they continued to complain about Hunter like crazy in the interim period between the latest nerf announcement and implementation...

They just can’t win either way. Dozens of threads, hundreds of replies along these lines.

On the other hand when people attempt to make intelligent threads about overarching issues that will affect the game over the long run such as switching to a core set to avoid nerfing/HOFing the classic/basic set to the ground there’s less than 10 replies.
Honestly?

Yes, it's far less enjoyable than even Jades were, but the kicker is that the general direction of the last two patches are what irk the community (as a whole, not just those forums) because they show a clear pattern of either incompetance or straight out "money patches".
I still like playing the game, but as more or less MTG veteran I actually know what to expect from CCG.

I can understand people complaining about stale meta and lack use for recent expansion. That's unfortunate, but that was part of lifecycle of every CCG, at least from time to time.

In terms of balance it looks like Team 5 isn't doing best job. It also looks like they are quite short-sighted in terms of games long-term health. But overall, nothing is really broken, game is asolutely playable and enjoyable.

Ladder play is weird compromise between allowing everyone to get to Legend and at the same time trying to separate players of different skill and deck levels. Definatelly could be improved.

Overall people are strongly exagerating, most of the complains are made by people who would like to actualy compete with non-competitive decks. Alternatively other group of complainers are long-time burned-out players, remembering good old days, which probably never ever actually happened.

Now let's look at positives. During last year, amount of freebies have been greatly increased. Gold value of quests have been increased and new easier to complete quests have been introduced. Ladder system has been overall improved with new floors which makes achieving Rank 5 much easier, so 500 extra Dust per month for everyone. New Player Experience has been reworked with extra 20+ packs and new player only ladder ranks. Whizzbang has been introduced into the game as a budget friendly way of playing variety of decks.

To sum-up, game is good and I am really looking forward to rotation and release of new expansion.
Hearthstone is doing great right now. There are just a lot of super negative people on the forums. It's kind of funny really. Hey, if you ever get bored. Pick out the one deck everyone is complaining about. Then do something like, "CUBELOCK IS LOVE! <3 CUBELOCK IS LIFE!" at the end of each of your posts.

Not only will you get a chuckle for a bit. You'll get all sorts of awesome looking red thumbs on each of your comments. x'D

Because, you know. People here can't tell when something is OBVIOUSLY done to get a reaction.
02/06/2019 01:11 PMPosted by Java
Is Hearthstone really that bad right now? According to the forums, everything is a dumpster fire and it's the worst game ever created. I still find myself enjoying the game tbh, ranked is pretty fun for me and I love playing arena. Does anyone else feel the same way?

To be more precise, the general philosophy the designers use is the worst one i ve seen from its very beginning. Therefore yes hs is at its worst state right now regadless the fact we ve seen worse metas.
02/06/2019 04:46 PMPosted by TheChemist
02/06/2019 01:11 PMPosted by Java

To be more precise, the general philosophy the designers use is the worst one i ve seen from its very beginning. Therefore yes hs is at its worst state right now regadless the fact we ve seen worse metas.

If you thought the game was so poorly designed from the git go, why did you continue to play it until now?
02/06/2019 01:37 PMPosted by LiccusBiccus
I played about 15 games this morning/afternoon, most of them were against OTK decks, either Mechathun Lock or Gallery Priest where mind blast x 2 killed me.
Omg...do you think not enough / zero-effective drawback Death Knight cards, such as the most OP DK-Rex, FLJ, n DK-Dan could of suggested play OTK all the time? Do you think the OTK setup is too low, like way too low, for counterplay sides play aggro?

Wonder what pushed everyone to meta-too-easy-OTK's?
Death Knights could never of been the culprit...

Howevs, i'd rather face OTK than slow-painful-death like DK Rex, DK-Dan n Shivers. They are OTK cards spread out over couple turns so exactly an OTK. OTK-Jaina, OTK-Rexxar, OTK-Dan - play this card and win. Normal-OTK's at least have to assemble more than 1 card, as if that is significant barely.
Its garbage. The devs dont understand the game enough to avoid "AFK until you OTK" decks emerging. Everytime they nerf things the meta gets 2x worse. Its utter trash. Fallout 76 was a better experience than anything in HS right now.
02/06/2019 06:22 PMPosted by AlvasViseron
Fallout 76 was a better experience than anything in HS right now.
Now, let's not exaggerate. The current meta may be garbage and the devs may be incompetent, but nothing compares to the incompetence that produced Fallout 76.

The game is all but unplayable, being infested with game-breaking bugs that Bugthesda is still no closer to fixing; cheaters are everywhere and can dox you with ease, it has no real content besides boring samey sidequests, its social features are either broken or nonexistent, and it has a microtransaction shop despite being a paid title.

Even the worst metas are better than a fundamentally broken game (Both in terms of bugs and game design) like Fallout 76.
It's definitely in a weird place right now. Hunter used to be my favorite class but I can't bring myself to play it for the sake of some variety in the game. Logging in and playing six games against hunters is a bit tedious. These knee jerk nerfs seem to have an effect on anything but hunters. It's a shame seeing as not too long ago you used to see really creative thought out decks from most classes having some success.
The game has a lot of legitimate problems.
It's alright, but I lost some interest with some unfair balance that they did. Equality at 4 is useless and the new card back is horrendous with the LGBTQ theme (I had to change back because it got applied by itself). The free card that they gave, dusted that immediately because it was of no use. No balance done for priest or rogue or shaman.

But this is good. I played less yesterday because of it. And more they do things like these the sooner I'll stop playing it and move on.
02/06/2019 08:46 PMPosted by SandhuMrt
It's alright, but I lost some interest with some unfair balance that they did. Equality at 4 is useless and the new card back is horrendous with the LGBTQ theme (I had to change back because it got applied by itself). The free card that they gave, dusted that immediately because it was of no use. No balance done for priest or rogue or shaman.

But this is good. I played less yesterday because of it. And more they do things like these the sooner I'll stop playing it and move on.

How old are you?

For everyone else, blue feathers symbolized alternative sexuality back in the Middle Ages. We either have the oldest human in history, a time traveler, or an easily triggered heterosexual who for some inexplicable reason does a lot of research into the LGBTQ community.