Why I play OTK decks

Play Mode Discussion
OTK are allowed to exist. Counters to OTK outside of "SMOrc" should also exist for everyone --- similarly to how we constantly have weapon removal, secret destruction, etc.

...and yes, they should also print cards that are sticky to deal with Control.
02/08/2019 08:53 AMPosted by Underman
02/08/2019 08:48 AMPosted by happyfeet
''Additionally, I am not obliged to play something to entertain my opponent'''
I agree with that sentiment.

''If you are not enjoying yourself, then switch to a different game or concede. Don't waste both of our time.''

But basically here you are saying you don't care about other peoples enjoyment in this game as long as you can have fun it doesn't matter how other people experience the game?

Yes. Because he shouldn't care about your experience.
People play games because they want to have fun, not to entertain their opponent.
So if someone's having fun playing OTK they won't stop because you don't like to play against OTK. And they shouldn't.

If he has fun playing the game, he should keep playing the game not change the way he plays so he enjoys the game less.
If you don't have fun playing the game, you should play something else, not ask others to not have fun also.

I didn't say he should change the way he plays his game
I agree with that sentiment.''
This is what i posted in my first message.
I didn't say disagreed did i?

He is trying to justify OTK shenanigans because he gains fun out of it despite what the opposing player is experiencing, surely a turn 8 or turn 9 instawin with zereks cloning gallery can be fun for the player playing the deck doesn't mean its balanced.

fun doesn't equal balanced.
So I think you fundamentally misunderstand the majority of OTK complaints. There isn't a lot of question for me for why some players use them. They offer the most CONSISTENT experience. Let's look at the value of OTK decks:

1) Not as impacted by bad starting hand or topdecking, as the plan is usually for you to draw your whole deck, and a TON of it includes stall and healing, so it's easy to find those resources

2) You don't have to worry that your opponents gameplan counters your wincon, because your wincon is "kill them in one turn so they can't do anything about it"

3) There is no direct counterplay to OTK decks (smorcing is not direct counterplay)

4) You don't have to adapt much to what your opponent does, meaning the deck requires very little thought

Because of these things, OTK decks can easily offer the easiest and most consistent experience.

It's also why they shouldn't exist without there being widely available counterplay in the game. A card that can interact with the hand offers the ability to counter your opponent holding everything until they OTK, but that only exists in Warlock right now. Zihi and cards like Time Out can stall, but unless you have board pressure that your opponent can't counter, they really don't help at all.

Overall, OTK decks are unhealthy because there's no relevant counter for them in the game. If they fixed that, no one would care that much.
02/08/2019 12:36 PMPosted by happyfeet
02/08/2019 08:53 AMPosted by Underman
Yes. Because he shouldn't care about your experience.
People play games because they want to have fun, not to entertain their opponent.
So if someone's having fun playing OTK they won't stop because you don't like to play against OTK. And they shouldn't.

If he has fun playing the game, he should keep playing the game not change the way he plays so he enjoys the game less.
If you don't have fun playing the game, you should play something else, not ask others to not have fun also.

I didn't say he should change the way he plays his game
I agree with that sentiment.''
This is what i posted in my first message.
I didn't say disagreed did i?

He is trying to justify OTK shenanigans because he gains fun out of it despite what the opposing player is experiencing, surely a turn 8 or turn 9 instawin with zereks cloning gallery can be fun for the player playing the deck doesn't mean its balanced.

fun doesn't equal balanced.

Everyone in any multiplayer games use the most broken mechanic ever. Same here in HS. While it is allowed, and while i find it fun. I will be playing it. If they get nerfed, I will switch to the next best thing that's broken. I care less about what my opponent's experience or what he thinks of game.
02/08/2019 10:48 AMPosted by blackveiled
02/08/2019 09:20 AMPosted by Tyani
I just wish there was something showing me that my opponent is playing a combo deck from the start of the match, so i can autoconcede. I don’t like the (lack of) interactions with otk decks.

I interact with OTK players a lot, by pulling out and deleting their combo pieces via Dirty Rat and Gnomeferatu.
So they maybe start complaining about the lack of interactivity in what I do to them.
Well I'm just reacting with the tools the game offers me ;)

Thing is, what you mentioned are One class (gnomeferatu) playing a wild card, that you normally wouldn’t play, and you HOPE you’ll pull out one of their crucial combo pieces...just saying that you assume that the decks are perfectly counterable.........but only when playing anti-combo warlock AND draw well AND get lucky.

I am just saying, that hearthstone has a very big meta-problem right now: the overrepresentation of hunters, of even and odd decks and finally in my opinion the problem that is most limiting to deckbuilding and to creativity as well as likely design space: OTK decks.

Sure they might be important in some way to the game, but the solitaire they’re playing right now is bad design, plain and simple.
02/08/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Schyla
02/08/2019 09:41 AMPosted by Diddly
Anyone having trouble with OTK decks can just craft Zihi

Zihi doesn't stop gallery priest or Holy Wrath Paladin but only delays it for a few turns.

That’s right. Zihi is not a non interactive “I win” card against a combo deck.

It requires further interaction on your part of the most important type in Hearthstone, with your opponent’s face.
02/08/2019 03:31 PMPosted by Marcoscongas
02/08/2019 10:50 AMPosted by Schyla

Zihi doesn't stop gallery priest or Holy Wrath Paladin but only delays it for a few turns.

That’s right. Zihi is not a non interactive “I win” card against a combo deck.

It requires further interaction on your part of the most important type in Hearthstone, with your opponent’s face.

OTK decks are perfectly counterable. Run Zihi, Eater of Secrets, Lotheb, and they will autoconcede. The fact that people has counter play but still complains shows people are reluctant to change/adjusting their decks, which is proven in my previous posts.
02/08/2019 08:44 AMPosted by Caonima
I see a lot of people are complaining about OTK decks. I am someone who solely plays OTK wild decks so I thought to share some thoughts on why I play them.

The short version is OTK decks are fun for ME and it is easy to play; this is what a game suppose to be. I don't have to worry about tempo, board presence, or card advantage, it is relaxing to have a game like this.

Additionally, I am not obliged to play something to entertain my opponent, this is not why I play games or why i spend money on games. If you are not enjoying yourself, then switch to a different game or concede. Don't waste both of our time.

I appreciate your boldness and honesty. These are the exact same reasons I give for enjoying aggro/midrange decks. I love building a board and smashing my opponents face with it - it's fun to me.

When I created a battlenet, last I checked, it was in MY name - not my opponents. I am here for MY pleasure - not yours.

Once I adopted this mentality, it made the game so much more fun.
It ok to enjoy OTKs.
Whats not ok is for team 5 to keep pushing OTKs when most playerbase doesnt want to. Simple as that.
That’s Hearthsone in a nutshell unfortunately. As long as your willing to give them enough money you too can buy the deck with the latest mechanic exploit to “make the game easy”
02/08/2019 05:45 PMPosted by TheChemist
It ok to enjoy OTKs.
Whats not ok is for team 5 to keep pushing OTKs when most playerbase doesnt want to. Simple as that.
Maybe....just maybe....a game of millions of players isn't adequately represented by the forums. Shocking I know, and several here myself included enjoy combo. People have no sense of how big of a number a million plus is. Also let's be real, the haters of combo are by and large control players, and if you honestly think your average joe is obsessed with control decks you are kidding yourself.
02/08/2019 06:08 PMPosted by Hazama
Maybe....just maybe....a game of millions of players isn't adequately represented by the forums. Shocking I know, and several here myself included enjoy combo. People have no sense of how big of a number a million plus is.

Forums represent a number of a total random people. And thats pretty much how statistics work.
02/08/2019 06:12 PMPosted by TheChemist
02/08/2019 06:08 PMPosted by Hazama
Maybe....just maybe....a game of millions of players isn't adequately represented by the forums. Shocking I know, and several here myself included enjoy combo. People have no sense of how big of a number a million plus is.

Forums represent a number of a total random people. And thats pretty much how statistics work.
Yeah I am sure your average player is a control player. Seems legit that a casual game like HS would largely be made up of them, and those "statistics" don't exist unless you have some hard numbers to provide. I imagine of course, that you do not.
Not quite the figure head OTK players needed.
02/08/2019 05:37 PMPosted by Gwyneth
I see a lot of people are complaining about OTK decks. I am someone who solely plays OTK wild decks so I thought to share some thoughts on why I play them.

The short version is OTK decks are fun for ME and it is easy to play; this is what a game suppose to be. I don't have to worry about tempo, board presence, or card advantage, it is relaxing to have a game like this.

Additionally, I am not obliged to play something to entertain my opponent, this is not why I play games or why i spend money on games. If you are not enjoying yourself, then switch to a different game or concede. Don't waste both of our time.

I appreciate your boldness and honesty. These are the exact same reasons I give for enjoying aggro/midrange decks. I love building a board and smashing my opponents face with it - it's fun to me.

When I created a battlenet, last I checked, it was in MY name - not my opponents. I am here for MY pleasure - not yours.

Once I adopted this mentality, it made the game so much more fun.

This guy gets the idea. That's the spirit!
It ok to enjoy OTKs.

I agree with you. If blizz nerf OTK decks, i am totally fine with that. I will just switch to the next deck I find fun playing.
02/08/2019 06:24 PMPosted by Caonima
It ok to enjoy OTKs.

I agree with you. If blizz nerf OTK decks, i am totally fine with that. I will just switch to the next deck I find fun playing.

This is pretty much what I do as well. Gasp! Are we like minded individuals that respect each others preferred playstyle?!

Oh my stars and garters! We're freaking unicorns.

Additionally, I am not obliged to play something to entertain my opponent, this is not why I play games or why i spend money on games.

Playing PvP is the literal definition of playing to entertain AND challenge you and your opponent. If you have no desire to interact, then why play with humans?
02/08/2019 06:19 PMPosted by Hazama
Yeah I am sure your average player is a control player. Seems legit that a casual game like HS would largely be made up of them, and those "statistics" don't exist unless you have some hard numbers to provide. I imagine of course, that you do not.

Of course i cant provide numbers. Im not a statistical complany. All i can do is read the forums and watch streamers and the basic idea that comes from most of them is that most people dont enjoy OTK decks since they found them uninteractive.
An idea that was supported from blizzard itself in the past.
Also Dean himself admited that the number of OTK decks is big in the current meta.
It ok to enjoy OTKs.

Good thing Blizzard is wise enough to not listen to the majority of playerbase, only to the ones that bring profit in return.