layoffs ahead at Activision Blizzard

Community Discussion
Activision Blizzard has hit a rough patch. Bloomberg says the video game company is planning to lay off hundreds of workers tomorrow. The layoffs would be part of a major overhaul as the company faces slowing game sales and increased competition. This comes days after Activision Blizzard's stock fell 10%.

This not a good sign for blizzard now and what's going on here? People are leaving and now layoffs.
Cliffs on all the arguments in here over this:

A bunch of people will say Act/Blizz is dying, everything sucks, the company sucks, fire the devs because they know nothing, Diablo was the last straw, they sold out, doomsayers and although they still play, they will complain about everything... company is going belly up, etc...

Then you will have the Blizzard defense squad, you already know most of them because they post daily and are always defending Blizz except that rare mild criticism so they can pretend they aren't just pathetic shills... and they will rush in to say everything is fine, it's all normal business, nothing to see here, don't believe in conspiracies, etc...

That about sums up the next few weeks of threads and arguments in here. You're welcome.
That or it could be plain economics with no one having money now days. I mean living cost went up with the price of food or other goods and different bills too.
People look at stock prices in isolation far too often. Just about all the game publishers got crushed in recent weeks, primarily because they all released numbers and they all aren’t Epic Games.

Fortnite is massively reshaping the developer landscape. We’re seeing the fallout now. Investors see the $3 billion profit (not revenue) that Epic banked in 2018, and everyone else looks like chumps.

As a point of comparison, Sony has made about twice that over the entire life of the Playstation brand.
That EA new apex legends that could over Fortnite.
02/12/2019 08:14 AMPosted by GostTemplar
That or it could be plain economics with no one having money now days. I mean living cost went up with the price of food or other goods and different bills too.

Well, their CFO got a 15 million bonus, just before the lay offs so yeah, there's that.

I guess there's no money to be found anywhere.

Anyhow, Blizzard is not about making games anymore, but about making money for investors - so they're taking the easy and less costly route to make money, such as outsourcing their new mobile games to Asian developers.

As far as I heard, they are also located in the most expensive state and severely underpays everyone whom isn't a senior developer - simply due to it's blizzard and everyone would love to work there.

Blizzard is starting to be set up as a piggy bank, that can be slaughtered and sold off when it has served it's purpose.
02/12/2019 08:04 AMPosted by GostTemplar
Activision Blizzard has hit a rough patch. Bloomberg says the video game company is planning to lay off hundreds of workers tomorrow. The layoffs would be part of a major overhaul as the company faces slowing game sales and increased competition. This comes days after Activision Blizzard's stock fell 10%.

This not a good sign for blizzard now and what's going on here? People are leaving and now layoffs.

If they are hearthstone staff, they probably found a few competent ones and wanted to purge them
02/12/2019 09:15 AMPosted by OniEyes
02/12/2019 08:14 AMPosted by GostTemplar

Blizzard is starting to be set up as a piggy bank, that can be slaughtered and sold off when it has served it's purpose.

I normally don't approve of mixed metaphors, but I really like this one.
I don't think Activision-Blizzard has the balls to destroy Hearthstone with cost cuttings.

The problem of Activision-Blizzard is they have been eating from their nose for years. Like what's the last game Blizzard made? OverWatch... that's it.

People are now bored of OverWatch (slow updates) and WoW (currently dealing with new record worst expansion).

I think once Activision-Blizzard reveal new (mobile) games, and it's well received, everything gets fine again...
Game Workers Unite

@GameWorkers
Feb 9
More Game Workers Unite Retweeted Jason Schreier
Activision Blizzards chief executives make more than $80,000,000 a year but still feel the need to fire hundreds of people to cut costs. This blatant disregard for their employees is what we need to fight against.
Workers should not pay the price of their bosses yearly bonus.

Of note Civilization 6 was/is 70% off for a few days. I bought so I dont have to try and do the daily gold vs Tier one decks. Or any of the boring standard and ranked play.
Until something actually happens, it's kind of hard to do anything but make wild speculations. Fun though that may be, don't get too carried away with any confirmation bias based wish fulfillment and emotional salt-based projections. Companies and industries have up and down years. They can be impactful, or they can be negligible ... the devil is in the details.
Q4 2018 is today at 4:30 pm.

This should paint a clearer picture of what happened this year and what direction the company will be taking as a whole.

Key point indicators to look for: Revenue, Sales, Monthly-Active Users.

https://investor.activision.com/events-presentations
02/12/2019 10:24 AMPosted by Slimjim
Game Workers Unite

@GameWorkers
Feb 9
More Game Workers Unite Retweeted Jason Schreier
Activision Blizzards chief executives make more than $80,000,000 a year but still feel the need to fire hundreds of people to cut costs. This blatant disregard for their employees is what we need to fight against.
Workers should not pay the price of their bosses yearly bonus.

Of note Civilization 6 was/is 70% off for a few days. I bought so I dont have to try and do the daily gold vs Tier one decks. Or any of the boring standard and ranked play.

Bobby Kotick is a mega-billionaire. Billions! Seven of them. SEVEN BILLION DOLLARS. Who the hell needs that much wealth?!? Meanwhile, hundreds of people with families are going to suffer through these layoffs. It's despicable.

Also: IBTL
02/12/2019 08:16 AMPosted by Mand
People look at stock prices in isolation far too often. Just about all the game publishers got crushed in recent weeks, primarily because they all released numbers and they all aren’t Epic Games.

Fortnite is massively reshaping the developer landscape. We’re seeing the fallout now. Investors see the $3 billion profit (not revenue) that Epic banked in 2018, and everyone else looks like chumps.

As a point of comparison, Sony has made about twice that over the entire life of the Playstation brand.

Yeah that is what happens when a company learn, respect the expectations and claims of clients and try to give their playerbase something that evolves and can make their time fun. I didn't like Fortinite a little, but I have do respect that Epic KNOW (LEARNED) HOW TO WORK, and if other companies are falling down for this, the blame is their not Epic.

It's a marketing, consumers will spend time and money on the better product of a company that actual deliver! Example? IF Epic don't act fast they can lose to Apex, that is doing the same thing, and Epic can experience a fall... And this go on and on...

The marketing evolve, consumer evolve, companies must too... Blizzard Activision take a different patch and is simple paying for their poor choices, they are the only one they can blame.

Your argument only demonstrate more poor work and lose patch, "Unfair... I lost because they are better then me"... Cry me a river!
How comfortable is everyone with spending $$ for the next expansion?
02/12/2019 10:58 AMPosted by Loki
Your argument only demonstrate more poor work and lose patch, "Unfair... I lost because they are better then me"... Cry me a river!

I never said it was unfair, I simply described why it's happening.

Seems you need justification for your prejudice, though, so you do you.
To be fair Fortnite made all of that money off licensing and in game cosmetic purchases. Constantly evolving and relevant patches that kept the game game fresh and in the media helped. The most important part of their success though was Twitch and how they embraced the top streamers into their fold and used them as their marketing.

It only makes sense that companies are going to try and appeal to the mobile market because they can nickel and dime players to death just like the rest of the mobile market does. Unfortunately that means game quality suffers for traditional game titles as companies look to spend pennies on simple mobile apps and take funds away form traditional platform AAA titles.

It will be interesting to see how the gaming market looks in a year or two and if the mobile market can sustain the kinds of numbers we are currently seeing.