Mage Deck

Play Mode Discussion
So, I've been playing hearthstone for about a year give or take, and my mage has been my main focus, she is level 60!! And I've been playing so many ranked games and winning!! But my issue is I've been looking for a mage deck that is ultimately unbeatable. (Currently I have an odd cost card deck with fireblast rank 2 & ragnaros) I've watched YouTubers, I've followed a little bit of all recipes. But I feel sometimes as though I have some cards that don't belong, but whenever I replace them with other ones I generally lose. Does anybody have a recipe for a mage deck that works?? Thanks in advance!
There is no unbeatable deck. 60%+ win rate is considered very good. If your succeeding at that rate ir better, stick with what you have.
02/23/2019 01:27 PMPosted by wardonis
There is no unbeatable deck. 60%+ win rate is considered very good. If your succeeding at that rate ir better, stick with what you have.

Agree...I believe odd mage secret is the best mage deck atm.
02/23/2019 01:46 PMPosted by SirColson
02/23/2019 01:27 PMPosted by wardonis

You're right, I agree but what secrets in particular? I'm always changing them because I'm not sure what works best in this instance? Or what's better against enemies. Like for example I have mirror entity and frozen clone, when a minion is a attacked summon a copy, vaporize, ice barrier, along with Kirin tor mage X2, not sure if there are better secrets? (I hoard dust to craft cards) so if you have any tips on what secrets & what minions might be best if appreciate it! Thanks for your reply :)
02/23/2019 06:03 PMPosted by Briixo
02/23/2019 01:46 PMPosted by SirColson

You're right, I agree but what secrets in particular? I'm always changing them because I'm not sure what works best in this instance? Or what's better against enemies. Like for example I have mirror entity and frozen clone, when a minion is a attacked summon a copy, vaporize, ice barrier, along with Kirin tor mage X2, not sure if there are better secrets? (I hoard dust to craft cards) so if you have any tips on what secrets & what minions might be best if appreciate it! Thanks for your reply :)

Most people run two Explosive Runes and one or two Counterspells. Some even run a copy of Spellbender. Mirror Entity and Frozen Clone can be neat, but they're a huge gamble, and don't provide any advantages over the other secrets.
02/23/2019 06:16 PMPosted by freckles

Most people run two Explosive Runes and one or two Counterspells. Some even run a copy of Spellbender. Mirror Entity and Frozen Clone can be neat, but they're a huge gamble, and don't provide any advantages over the other secrets.

Depends! Standard, Wild, and the inclusion of different synergy cards can have an impact. Subject 9 for instance encourages diversity in secrets to max draws, as does Masked Contender. Effigy and Duplicate for instance are Secrets that have rarely been run deliberately, but if your opponent kills a Kabal Crystal Runner, suddenly they’re way better than Counterspell. Ditto for Potion of Poly vs Explosive; Explosive is without question the more versatile, but there are strange situations when Carnivorous Cubes, Devilsaur Eggs, Void Lords, and Possessed Lackeys are involved where the Poly is stronger.

But... since every situation is different, there will never be an unbeatable deck. If you run a Potion of Poly to counter Control and a Counterspell to shut out Combo, you might just end up facing an aggro deck the next game where neither of those are much use.
02/23/2019 06:16 PMPosted by freckles

Okay so basically ditch mirror entity and frozen clone? And what about the summon a copy secret? I find that hit or miss sometimes, just looking for opinion on if anyone would use it or if it's a waste in my deck. I sure do miss the use of polymorph, odd cost doesn't allow it lol
02/23/2019 09:17 PMPosted by Teo

Depends! Standard, Wild, and the inclusion of different synergy cards can have an impact.

Oof, you're right-- I wasn't considering Wild.
02/24/2019 12:37 PMPosted by Briixo

Okay so basically ditch mirror entity and frozen clone? And what about the summon a copy secret? I find that hit or miss sometimes, just looking for opinion on if anyone would use it or if it's a waste in my deck. I sure do miss the use of polymorph, odd cost doesn't allow it lol

Splitting Image I think it's called? That one is okay, I've seen it included in lists that run Subject 9 with lots of secrets. If you're not including Subject 9, I'd stick to Explosive Runes, Counterspell, and maybe one copy of Spell Bender if you feel like you need a fifth.