Jan’alai is AFWULLY desighned.

Play Mode Discussion
Srsly, what goes on in their headquarters? Oh... Ragnaros is was so OP we HoFed it... lets add a 7 mana version that also comes w a free 4/4...

COME ON
THIS CARD LITTERALLY INCREASES ODD MAGE’S WINRATE BY 25%
Don't forget you can return it to your hand for 2, copy Rag for 4, and play it again next turn. Guess they got bored cycling endless 0 cost fireballs for 6 to the face after taking an extra turn.
Yeah it’s so op that no one is playing odd mage...
I would understand these kind of complaints if it were after rotation, when general power level of cards/decks becomes weaker. But right now in this meta, I don't really see an issue.
02/25/2019 07:11 AMPosted by Jef

Odd mage is still really common...

It is an insane value and way too easy to trigger with Baku. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to 8 post rotation cause I don't think odd mage loses much.
Rag was sent to the HoF because he was a powerful, consistent minion that would never rotate and could be splashed in any deck that could afford to run 8-drops. It wasn't necessarily because of his individual power, but rather his consistency and presence in decks in the meta that he was rotated. This version can only be used in one class, requires/encourages a certain strategy in order to be used (note that Big Spell Mage lists often don't run Jan'Alai, meaning that Rag isn't even the most appealing option within the class that can run it), and will inevitably rotate. He doesn't have any of the problems that made OG Rag an issue.
02/25/2019 07:50 AMPosted by InfinityMin1
(note that Big Spell Mage lists often don't run Jan'Alai, meaning that Rag isn't even the most appealing option within the class that can run it)

Which is a shame; it's awesome bait... Drop it on turn 7 or 8, get 8 damage, and watch your opponent use up resources to get rid of it. Next turn, drop FLJ (coin into FLJ is also fun), and use the Jan'Alai body to either clear a minion or hit face.
02/25/2019 08:07 AMPosted by Mullvaney
02/25/2019 07:50 AMPosted by InfinityMin1
(note that Big Spell Mage lists often don't run Jan'Alai, meaning that Rag isn't even the most appealing option within the class that can run it)

Which is a shame; it's awesome bait... Drop it on turn 7 or 8, get 8 damage, and watch your opponent use up resources to get rid of it. Next turn, drop FLJ (coin into FLJ is also fun), and use the Jan'Alai body to either clear a minion or hit face.
It's true. I run Jan'alai in my BSM deck and *love* it. Also, Daring Fire-Eater makes for fantastic spot removal for the early/mid-game when you need to axe something but don't wanna waste your aoe.

I still miss Medivh and Firelands Portal, but this is probably the most I've enjoyed the deck since before last year's rotation.
02/25/2019 08:12 AMPosted by Wardrum
02/25/2019 08:07 AMPosted by Mullvaney

It's true. I run Jan'alai in my BSM deck and *love* it. Also, Daring Fire-Eater makes for fantastic spot removal for the early/mid-game when you need to axe something but don't wanna waste your aoe.

I still miss Medivh and Firelands Portal, but this is probably the most I've enjoyed the deck since before last year's rotation.

Yes! I also have Daring Fire Eater- you can use it to get a Water Elemental that your opponent doesn't expect; opponents often don't bother to clear it, either, which means next turn you can hit face with it and then kill it off for another Water Elemental if needed.
I see the OP lost to Odd Mage playing Jan'alai.

M'kay.
So I was talking with my Drakkari Enchanter...
02/25/2019 06:49 AMPosted by SweetTexas77
COME ON

Huh? Surely this cannot be true. I mean, that's a completely ridiculous number, right?
Doesn't sound that crazy. Odd Mage that never gets Jan'alai out would be pretty weak, and if you're playing him that means you clearly activated him. So you have at least one Ragnaros, and given how easy they are to duplicate quite possibly 3 or more.
02/25/2019 09:09 AMPosted by Lemminkäinen
COME ON
Huh? Surely this cannot be true. I mean, that's a completely ridiculous number, right?
A certain interpretation of this is almost true, although misleading. And I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't appreciate being called "Shirley".

The card's "played win rate" on HSReplay is 67.8% (in Odd Mage), compared to the deck's overall win rate of 56.6%. That is a 20 percent increase, but nowhere near a 25 percentage-point increase, which is how most people are going to interpret the statement.

In any case, "played win rate" is and had always been an absolutely terrible metric for gauging card power, since it will always be high for the win condition of any deck, no matter how poor of a choice it is for that slot. This effect is exacerbated for "build-around-me" cards.
I mean power normally is supposed to have drawbacks.

Old HS used to be designed this way.
Mage-Rag def has a drawback, obvi, it's using your HP instead of playing threatening-statted cards or draw/generation.

So then you look at how big of a drawback are those HP-boosting cards?
1/1 double your HP damage seems the too-strong enabler.

I mean, its play 2 of those in Odd, and there's Rag setup done.
Otherwise its play 2 of those in normal, and 1/2 Rag setup done.

Probably a case where Mage-Rag isn't itself OP.
The journey there is too-low-penalty.

Seen that before?
Yea, that's one of the biggest and most obvious mental mistakes the new era design has gone. Cough all death knights except like Thrall Garrosh and Valeera's.

Power should have a drawback.
Remember when Soulfire cost 0....and had that really-big drawback?
Discarding a card, where healing was not-happening, sustainability was not-happening, hero powering was costly, draw wasn't everywhere...especially In a 1/2 1-cost...

This sounds like new-era OTK all over again.
The setup for blizz's expansion power cards is too low.
That's the big problem w the game.
Why, well when the bar is low, why play something else?
Right?

I don't really think Mage-Rag is OP even at the current level tbh, its not like it can be played on T5/6, and then again, and then again, and then again, and then 5 more times alongside Y'Saarj LK n Kel.

Ie Wild Big Priest is a lot more busted than Mage-Rag.
I’ve been trying to hold off crafting this card but odd control mage looks so fun that I think I’m gonna go for it next month.
Op has a clear point, I was so shocked when this card came out I thought it was troll.

Quickly crafted gold,
I try to spam in wild with Brann on turn 10
with DK Jaina out for lifesteal

still odd mage isn't really as good as you would think.
Srsly, what goes on in their headquarters? Oh... Ragnaros is was so OP we HoFed it... lets add a 7 mana version that also comes w a free 4/4...

COME ON

Pretty sure Rag was HoFed cus they didnt want mage to run double Rag in Standard.(regardless of what reason they posted when it went away)
Its a good card, the only thing that sucks about it is the hero power damage only unlocks rag with the mage. Stealing it as any other class is useless. That needs to be changed. As a rogue your hero power damage should work. Otherwise its a dead card when you play espionage.
02/25/2019 07:11 AMPosted by Jef

How much does that say about the game when a deck with an upgraded hero power, multiple board clears, powerful DK and Rag on a 4/4 stick isn't even meta...