Is Hearthstone proud of OTKs?

Community Discussion
I have more than enough dust to make several OTKs. I don't mind spending the occasional bit of cash to get packs and stuff and so my statement is not a complaint because of some inability to match.

I'm just wondering how having an OTK in the game is something that HS/people want. I enjoy spending my time coming up with fun ideas and then grinding the modifications until it works(check out my recent SAMO deck in hearthpwn[same screenname]). Sure, I look for cool combos too. But an OTK seems OP. It just becomes a matter of which player gets their exodia pieces first. A few OTKs can be countered but really it's upsetting to see an OTK pop out. Its tedious to play a long game and have it "end out of nowhere". Aggro or OTK are pretty much the only options to play in HS IMO.

I enjoy the back and forth and I don't concede because I am a good sport.

Say nay to OTK!
Everyone grinds the same in optimizing decks.
That's how you get tier 1 or OTK decks after all.
Some are just too slow to figure things out.

Besides, no one is at fault for using these decks.
Blame blizzard for having a ranked system where ranking up is achievable only through wins (of all things, absurd right?), not this stupid back and forth or creative sh!t losers defend themselves with.
I would not mind otk decks, if there where cards to counter them. The meta at the moment is sucking the joy out of hearthstone. Its play a retard agro deck or die to otk. Honestly im not a comp player with my highest rang ever being around 5 maybe 4. The odd and even decks with these otk decks with no counter is really not fun at all. I honestly hope the next expansions will allow counter play to be more of a thing again.
02/19/2019 01:44 PMPosted by RedSpade

Blame blizzard for having a ranked system where ranking up is achievable only through wins (of all things, absurd right?), not this stupid back and forth or creative sh!t losers defend themselves with.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you only half read my post.
I came here because I'm really upset as a paying customer and it has everything to do with this topic. Every game I have played tonight has been all about my opponent as I sit there frustrated, unable to take a turn, watching them rope and completely dominate the game.

My first opponent tonight was a Warlock. He saw me, a Priest, and immediately conceded before the game even started. My assumption is that he's so fed up with the priest deck that keeps rezzing OP spell power cards which ends in 2 mind blasts and maybe 1 smite, which ironically was my next opponent. My priest opponent completely dominated the match by roping, milling and it was over before Activision finally gave me a playable card (we'll get to that part later).

My next opponent was a druid who burned the rope as well as my deck with Naturalize and Auctioneer as he milled his way to Mecha'thun. Even with Surrender to Madness x 2 there's no possible way I could come up with high enough damage to get through his 50+ armour and 30 health.

My next opponent was a Mage who just so happened to have the perfect counter to every card I played in his back pocket like magic, all the while healthing himself up with hero - like Mages ever had that much heal power in World of Warcraft.

My deck is not a Meta deck. I have an even split of deathrattle cards to spells for Priest quest. It's absolutely not fun to log into Hearthstone to set out on my quest when my first 5 to 7 draws are not playable cards but are reasonable to have in my deck; Seance, Surrender to Madness, Twilights call while withholding all the the 2 to 4 cost deathrattle cards I have. The other thing Activision loves to do is draw from the bottom of my deck giving me only 5+ cost cards for the first several turns. If I throw them back, more times than not, I'm given the exact same cards back. Perhaps my deck is imbalanced, maybe someone can help me with that, but I only have 9 cards costing 5+

1) (5 cost) Mass Hysteria x 2
2) (5 cost) Rotten Applebaum x 2
3) (6 cost) Mojomaster x 1
4) (7 cost) Bwansandi x 1
5) (9 cost) Obsidian Statue x 2
6) (9 cost) Zereks

The rest of my deck is an even split of 0 to 4 cost deathrattle and strategy spells.

I'm just tired of it. What's the point of paying for cards to build an original deck when Activisions own RNG is my actual opponent?

I know, I'll be trolled by teenagers and schmucks who will say, "get gud" but seriously, is it necessary that I fall in line with the decks that are all over the internet to be "gud"?

The only lesson I've taken away from my recent experiences is to not pay for any more decks. I'm not spending my hard earned money ($55 or something close still in my account) only to log off feeling so flustered. I'm not saying I should win every game, but when I'm constantly being paired with players who have decks that literally block me at every turn by overpowering me on my every effort, they rope every turn, Mill through their entire deck, buff their 1 cost cards to 14 to 28 hit power by turn 6 - it's just a waste of my money.
02/19/2019 12:56 PMPosted by Jgoka
I'm just wondering how having an OTK in the game is something that HS/people want.

As strange as it may sound, different people look for different things from their games.

You may want to look up the articles about Timmy, Johnny and Spike by Mark Rosewater (the head designer of MtG). They go into some detail about what different players find engaging in a game and touch upon why a TCG/CCG should not try to completely shut out a certain subsection of the playerbase (at least not if they want long term success).
I have more than enough dust to make several OTKs. I don't mind spending the occasional bit of cash to get packs and stuff and so my statement is not a complaint because of some inability to match.

I'm just wondering how having an OTK in the game is something that HS/people want. I enjoy spending my time coming up with fun ideas and then grinding the modifications until it works(check out my recent SAMO deck in hearthpwn[same screenname]). Sure, I look for cool combos too. But an OTK seems OP. It just becomes a matter of which player gets their exodia pieces first. A few OTKs can be countered but really it's upsetting to see an OTK pop out. Its tedious to play a long game and have it "end out of nowhere". Aggro or OTK are pretty much the only options to play in HS IMO.

Say nay to OTK!

OTKs are good, i like them and fully support them!
yeah, I wondered the same thing, OP...

Apparently they do like OTK decks...I think of them as gimmick decks

They aren't perfect, by any means, and they aren't the best decks in the game, but they are not fun to play against...

when your opponent doesn't actually play, but bides their time, it stops being fun

definitely looking forward to a new meta
02/20/2019 10:14 PMPosted by Jgoka
02/19/2019 01:44 PMPosted by RedSpade

Who would read your whiny post anyway?
It's the same thing others have been complaining about.
02/24/2019 09:32 PMPosted by RedSpade
02/20/2019 10:14 PMPosted by Jgoka

Who would read your whiny post anyway?
It's the same thing others have been complaining about.

People like you are the reason this game is dying. Troll player base and contentious mechanics. Hearthstone is just a terrible place to be anymore with people like RedSpade and decks like Rez Priest.

Say nay to OTK!

Just do what other so-called "players" do. Go to Hearthpwn and just copy a deck for Copystone. Or be really smart and go find another game that doesn't have a company which reports a record high quarter then fires 800 people like Activision did. Support another company with your money and watch this crappy company go down.
OTK decks are a byproduct of blizzard trying to slow down the game. When standard rotation was first introduced it was pretty clear blizzard wanted to slow the game down, (especially after the power creep of GvG and naxx, I think at one point in time deathrattle hunter was 33% of the meta.) Aggro shaman, tempo mage, most match ups were aggro vs aggro. Additions like reno Jackson, a litany of powerful neutral taunt minions, tar creeper, saronite chain gang, etc. were added to slow it even more, which actually increased aggro decks which had to burn you down before you drew Reno. So year of the raven was suppose to slow it down even more from the year of the mammoth, it has been all about control, it was suppose to be control vs control, which led to some pretty boring games, and blizzard realized we need OTK decks to combat control, since we gave control decks so many tools to beat aggro. So now you have the rock-paper-scissors of aggro-control-OTK, that I think blizzard is happy with.