Worst Gamestate Ever

Play Mode Discussion
Highly Rated
The amount of OTK's and how rewarding slow play is, make this game not fun for me anymore. I hit legend last year and am currently at rank 5. This is the worst the game has ever been due to poor theory crafting and way too much removal. I enjoy the game to be about making smart trades with minions and spells. Not sit on your 8 card hand, wipe the board, then play a one-turn-kill combo. It is pretty stupid. I am going to go download magic online I hear the developers actually play the game.
Otk decks are a very real problem, people are denying it..but the way the meta is right now, it’s quite impossible to defeat combo decks, unless they draw poorly..which is unlikely with the sheer insane amount of cards they draw while gaining armor.

This problem is the devs’ to fix.
Its far from worst You must have not around for huntertaker(highest winrate deck ever and even decks made to beat couldnt really get a positive winrate.aswell as needing bgh to deal with a 1 drop. Undertaker,lepergnome,arcane golem,buzzard and unleash,abusive sergeant were all nerfed)

patches + creeper,sea witch giants,shaman era.
Or prenerf kft jade druid,raza priest. Pirate warrior with smalltime buccaneer and war Axe. Quest Rogue when was 4bounces for 5/5's and completed Quest by turn 3/4.
Or patron and force + roar druid.or of miracle Rogue.

Game has had far worse then now
I don't understand how people can seemingly be running into OTK decks all the time. That differs immensely radically from my play experience.

Is it just that these people play slow control decks and they faceroll aggro and midrange so it's only OTKs that remain in their memories due to losses or is it something else?

Because I am honestly baffled. I face OTK decks quite rarely. Now, granted, the definition of OTK is kinda fluid and some people consider, e.g., Dragon Priest with Mind Blasts, Alex, and Anduin finisher an OTK deck but even then? If I count every priest deck I've encountered as an OTK deck, all the Shirvallah OTK-Paladins, all the Four Horsemen Paladins, all the Druid Mechathuns/Hakkars, all the Malygos-decks, and all the Warlock Mechathuns they are still less than 25% of my matches looking at my stats (and Priests account for most of that).

What am I missing?
02/11/2019 05:42 AMPosted by Lemminkäinen
I don't understand how people can seemingly be running into OTK decks all the time. That differs immensely radically from my play experience.

Is it just that these people play slow control decks and they faceroll aggro and midrange so it's only OTKs that remain in their memories due to losses or is it something else?

Because I am honestly baffled. I face OTK decks quite rarely. Now, granted, the definition of OTK is kinda fluid and some people consider, e.g., Dragon Priest with Mind Blasts, Alex, and Anduin finisher an OTK deck but even then? If I count every priest deck I've encountered as an OTK deck, all the Shirvallah OTK-Paladins, all the Four Horsemen Paladins, all the Druid Mechathuns/Hakkars, all the Malygos-decks, and all the Warlock Mechathuns they are still less than 25% of my matches looking at my stats (and Priests account for most of that).

What am I missing?

Well, my experience with rank 5 this morning (much of the reason I'm not bothering to climb this month)

Combo control priest
Exodia mage
Odd paladin
Combo control priest
Mechathun Priest
Odd paladin
Combo Control Priest.

Yay counter less win conditions paired with one variety of hyper aggro deck.

It is sad when odd paladin of all things is the one deck I don't feel like auto-conceding against.
How many Hearthstone devs does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Trick question, the few of them who understand light bulbs quit to start their own company, and the ones who stay sit on the floor chewing on broken glass until all the lights go dark and people stop coming in.
They arent impossible to beat.

To be honest Odd Paladin crushes the OTK winrates.
02/11/2019 06:52 AMPosted by Diddly
They arent impossible to beat.

To be honest Odd Paladin crushes the OTK winrates.

They lose to priests more often than not. Screaming a board of 7 1/1s is a death sentence for them.

They may beat other attempts at otk decks, but the priest varieties are pretty resilient to the odd paladin.

What am I missing?

Dont know...
1) on my main account I am facing OTK pretty regurarly around rank 6 atm
2) when I am playing on a toilet on this account (rank 18 or something like that) I am facing OTK once in a loooong time

Looks like OTK is more popular on higher ranks and less popular in lower ranks? Atleast it looks like that from my experience
02/11/2019 06:40 AMPosted by Smeet

What am I missing?

Well, my experience with rank 5 this morning (much of the reason I'm not bothering to climb this month)

Combo control priest
Exodia mage
Odd paladin
Combo control priest
Mechathun Priest
Odd paladin
Combo Control Priest.

Yay counter less win conditions paired with one variety of hyper aggro deck.

It is sad when odd paladin of all things is the one deck I don't feel like auto-conceding against.

My rank is lower (10), but this decks are almost all what i've been seeing in the last days, adding Mechatun Warlock and Mechathun druid
02/10/2019 01:06 PMPosted by Shirei
Commentary: "Leeroy Jenkins created a strategy that revolved around trying to defeat your opponent in one turn without requiring any cards on the board. We like having a variety of deck types but taking 20+ damage in one turn is not very fun or interactive."

Now tell me, they are not retarded...

welcome to card games
they change over time
I just played this priest deck couldn't do anything soon as I developed a board physic screamed....

Then came down that prophet dude so I killed him...

He then spews out cloning gallery hits me for 44 damage lol

Wtf is this non interactive bs!

I'm done this game is a pile of !@#......
Haven't enjoyed the meta for quite some time now. Still laugh when I think about blizzard nerfing the druid combo cause "14 damage from hand was too much". Sort your game out blizzard.
Some people don't seem to have any historical perspective.

CCGs - as a genre - have always rewarded decks that remove "interaction" as much as possible. The entire point of deck design is to build a deck that can deal with all contingencies and obtain a victory. The best decks in the game have ALWAYS been decks that can accomplish this by either minimizing or eliminating the ability of the opponent to interrupt the march to a win. I.E. The best CCG decks are the ones the have the LEAST amount of "interaction". The people here are acting as if this is the first time a CCG has ever seen decks of this sort, when in fact they've been commonplace staples of CCGs since 1992.

But what do the facts say? Of course, the facts tell the exact opposite story of the the whiny, blubbery, childlike forum caterwauling about OTK decks. What are the best decks in the game?

#1: Secret Paladin. Aggro deck.
#2: Odd Paladin. Aggro deck.
#3: Wall Priest. Combo deck.
#4: Secret Odd Mage. Aggro deck.
#5: Even Paladin. Control deck.
#6: Odd Warrior. Control deck.
#7: Odd Quest Warrior. Control deck.
#8: Deathrattle Hunter. Tempo deck.
#9: Odd Rogue. Aggro deck.
#10: Even Warlock. Control deck.
#11: Mid Hunter. Tempo/Aggro deck.
#12: Zoolock. Aggro deck.
#13: Control Priest. Control deck.
#14: Secret Hunter. Tempo deck.
#15: Odd Mage. Control deck.
#16: Rush Warrior. Tempo deck.
#17: Clone Priest. Combo deck.
#18: Cubelock. Tempo/Control with Combo element?
#19: Spell Hunter. Tempo deck.
#20: Big Spell Mage. Control deck.
#21: Malygos Druid. Combo deck.
#22: Pirate Rogue. Aggro/Tempo deck.
#23: Odd Hunter. Aggro deck.
#24: Taunt Druid. Control deck.
#25: Mill Druid. Mill deck.

The top 25 decks in the game only have three Combo decks in it at all. The first Mechathun deck that even shows up at all isn't until #32. Needless to say, Combo decks are not dominating the meta by even the remotest, most generous interpretation. Anyone who says the game is dominated by this kind of stuff is exaggerating to the point where they are three hairs and some air away from lying.
Try Wild guys, a lot more variety, and aggro decks are actually viable.
02/11/2019 07:57 AMPosted by TheRiddler

CCGs - as a genre - have always rewarded decks that remove "interaction" as much as possible. The entire point of deck design is to build a deck that can deal with all contingencies and obtain a victory. The best decks in the game have ALWAYS been decks that can accomplish this by either minimizing or eliminating the ability of the opponent to interrupt the march to a win. I.E. The best CCG decks are the ones the have the LEAST amount of "interaction". The people here are acting as if this is the first time a CCG has ever seen decks of this sort, when in fact they've been commonplace staples of CCGs since 1992.

But what do the facts say? Of course, the facts tell the exact opposite story of the the whiny, blubbery, childlike forum caterwauling about OTK decks. What are the best decks in the game?

The top 25 decks in the game only have three Combo decks in it at all. The first Mechathun deck that even shows up at all isn't until #32. Needless to say, Combo decks are not dominating the meta by even the remotest, most generous interpretation. Anyone who says the game is dominated by this kind of stuff is exaggerating to the point where they are three hairs and some air away from lying.

You are talking about how the best decks are these that require the least interaction. And then you place secret and odd paladin at top ranks :D

remarkable :D
I

02/11/2019 08:30 AMPosted by haargroth
02/11/2019 07:57 AMPosted by TheRiddler

You are talking about how the best decks are these that require the least interaction. And then you place secret and odd paladin at top ranks :D

remarkable :D
tons of interaction!
Odd Warrior, Even Paladin, Deathrattle Hunter, Big Beast Hunter, Cubelock, Odd Paladin, Secret Mage, Even Shaman, Secret Hunter, Spell Hunter, Odd Rogue, and Quest Warrior. Sorry, just recounting some of the best decks currently. What was that about the OTK thing? Because as far as I can see, there's only Mind Blast Priest.

No, I was addressing the topic of the thread. The OP said...

"The amount of OTK's and how rewarding slow play is, make this game not fun..."
"This is the worst the game has ever been due to poor theory crafting and way too much removal..."
...sit on your 8 card hand, wipe the board, then play a one-turn-kill combo. It is pretty stupid..."

So he was complaining that the game was all about OTK decks not being fun, and how the "amount" of them was too much. All I did was prove using facts that the OP (and those who agree with him) is completely full of BS when they say OTK decks are dominating the game. The entire argument is provably false.

Now - the OTK Whiners may "perceive" the game to be that way because of their confirmation bias and because they are being misled by their emotions. But that doesn't make them correct. That just makes them passionately wrong.

As to "interactivity"... CCGs have always been games where players actively SEEK to remove the other player's ability to "interact". The more your opponent can interact, the more opportunity they have to beat you. Smart players have always sought to remove the opponent's ability to interact as much as possible because that's how to win games. Not sure why this is news to some people ... unless they're total newbies to the entire concept of CCGs.