If Hearthstone used to be your main game but isn't anymore, what would get you back?

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
When I saw this on another post, I had a long time thinking and also a hard time to put into words.

Finally, I think my main issue with this game is that it does not "engage" me anymore.
It does not engage me to explore card combinations, because I find that today's cards are very restrictive to allow exploration
It does not engage me to share interesting stories of the game with my friend because alot of today's games are "predictable"
It does not engage me to play 1 more game because I know I have a fighting chance to win if I build my deck well
Lastly, I used to look forward to what the next expansion will bring, where today I worry more about what next expansion will bring.

Let's hear from you?
To bring HS back as my main game what would it take...

Probably some interesting cards that reward planning multiple plays ahead of time. The last mechanic I thought that really rewarded that, outside of a gimmick, were elementals.

Honestly though it'd probably take both an improvement from HS and a trip-up from MtG for me at this point in time.
02/19/2019 12:31 AMPosted by Reaver
When I saw this on another post, I had a long time thinking and also a hard time to put into words.

Finally, I think my main issue with this game is that it does not "engage" me anymore.
It does not engage me to explore card combinations, because I find that today's cards are very restrictive to allow exploration
It does not engage me to share interesting stories of the game with my friend because alot of today's games are "predictable"
It does not engage me to play 1 more game because I know I have a fighting chance to win if I build my deck well
Lastly, I used to look forward to what the next expansion will bring, where today I worry more about what next expansion will bring.

Let's hear from you?

A very good question.
I honestly struggle with answering this, as well.
I too am worried about the next expansion, despite, or perhaps because of the upcoming rotation.

What would incite me to play this game more? And feel engaged while doing so?
Maybe if playing and deckbuilding felt more rewarding.
If original deck ideas were not stomped out of the game by the same old overtuned decks.
If different decks were more accessible?
And/or if Blizzard were to engage with the playerbase.

The answer to that question seems to be rooted in solving many major issues of today's hearthstone.
But an actual answer?

I dunno.
Dump Classic into Wild and give us a fresh Core set every couple of years. dont be afraid of occasional reprints.

Mini expansion bundles (30-60 cards at a flat rate) to break up the monotony of the meta between expansions.... released in February, June, and October.

More game modes! 4 years and all we have is Brawl
It took me a month of playing MTG:A... Before I came back.

I also play this game in healthier moderation since coming back. I've hit high 200's Legend before, and that was an all consuming grind. I'd like to earn 12 arena wins someday, but am in no rush. I mainly play on my phone these days while Netflix is on.

You play anything for too long and too hard, and you will come to hate it.
Mabye bring clever deck building back. When you print 6 1 mana 1/1s then go and print a 1 mana 4/4 there's really no choice but to run the 1 mana 4/4.

That's what the game has turned into now a bunch of 1 mana 4/4s crowding out the 1 mana 1/1s

Reduce the clown fiesta rng crap while you're at it.
1. 4 Expansions Each Year.
-It doesn't even matter how broken anything is as long as the game is fresh.
-The more broken things are the faster the game will get stale.
-Printing balanced things does not fix broken things.

2. Release 5 new cards at the midpoint between expansions.
-Preferably cards that deal with the strongest cards in the game in fair ways.
-Example: Shiftah: 5 mana 3/3 Taunt Effect: "Copy your opponents Hero power". This is a tool to fight vs Deathstalker Rexxar, Bloodreaver Guldan, Frostlich Jaina.

Honestly though everyone knows Year of the Mammoth completely overshadowed Year of the Raven. So everyone is very tired of Year of the Mammoth cards. The game is only going to get staler until rotation and more players will drop off until rotation.

I log in and look at my decks then think ughh I already know whats going to happen, midrange hunter(Deathstalker Rexxar has no interaction and single handily wins or loses games if drawn/not drawn) or priest trying to touch me...
I have took a year of hiatus.

The one brought me back is my Tyrande.
1. Focus on quality of expansions over quantity. Blizzard has been rushing to meet the quota of 3 expansions a year, and I think it shows with the underwhelming reception of the latest expansions. A well-thought-out, balanced and meta-changing expansion clearly isn't possible with the strict timetable that Blizzard is currently on.

2. Get back to the roots of Hearthstone. Before there were OTKs, infinite-value cards, Baku/Genn and insanely powerful board clears everywhere, Hearthstone was a game about fighting for board control and battles between minions. I'm happiest when I can play a midrange/control deck that doesn't have to rely on any busted gimmicks to win. Just play cards, make trades, play removal and win if you played better.

3. Stop with the sketchy nerfs. Every time I see a new nerf come out, they've killed at least one Classic card (what happened to it being an "evergreen" set?) and they've left the real problem cards untouched, while ensuring that players get little to no dust from refunds. Then they need to do another round of nerfs because they left several of the problem cards untouched, and now those cards are dominating the meta, big surprise. Then rinse and repeat. If you're going to make balance changes, then get it right.
As someone said on twitter. A speed mode would be much appreciated.

Also I am very allergic to bad quality of the client. I wish they would improve the disconnect/reconnect features. They broke it with last patch.

Why is there a need to reatart the game after a reconnected game finished?

Why isn't the state saved while makijg a deck? At the moment I have to redo everything if I get disconnected during creating a deck

Why don't they show last actions of a match on the bar after a reconnect?
get rid of the classic set. make a core set after every season. make it a raffle of 100 cards a couple a days before the new season and stream it on twitch. insure that every class has the same amount of cards in this new core set. include cards from all old expansion and make a pack where you can buy the core cards of the month and make the pack very cheap.

STOP printing cards like winatun and make deck building rewarding again. make minion fights the main focus of the game and for crying out loud, HoF mindblast (im saying this as a priest main)
Some how prevent top tier decks from hanging out at rank 20. No fun jumping on for few games just to face decks that are also at legend rank.
I think at this point it'd have to be more game modes. I'd like an arena mode that you don't have to pay for. Obviously you wouldn't get the same rewards if you don't pay but a mode like that would be enticing. A lot of people like arena but don't have the time, effort, skill, or money to be infinite arena players.

I'd like to enjoy constructed again too but constructed hasn't been all that fun since un'goro which was almost 2 years ago now. After that amount of time and the issues this game still has I really don't have any confidence in the design team to fix it anymore. They just leave Baku and Genn unchanged and nerf cards that don't deserve to be nerfed because of them, really disappointing.
I am currently split 50/50 between HS and MTG:A, but to my own surprise I am leaning more and more in direction of Arena. Reasons:

1. Formats. Arena supports more actual formats than HS and some are more to my taste than HS ones:

Constructed Events - This is equivalent of HS Brawliseum, but it is available all the time. My favourite format, would love to see it always available in HS.

Booster Draft - Equivalent of HS Arena. I feel like I have more control over what I draft in MTG:A. While you draft 45 cards, you actual use only 22-24 in your final deck. In HS you might be stuck with 4-5 complete duds in the deck and that feels quite frustrating. Overal MTG:A draft is more satysfying experience to me.

Pauper (commons only) and Singleton (only 1 copy of each card) formats. Those are offered as limited-time event similar to HS Tavern Brawls. But, unlike most Tavern Brawls, those are proper game formats whit simple rules, not some kind of over the top craziness

Tavern Brawls vs Limited TIme Events (MTG:A). Here it simple, both work on the same principle, but MTG:A are much more toned down, so they play like actual formats. In HS, most of TB are just some kinds of completely random play, fun to play maybe once and that's it.

2.Stability and protection of investment. In MTG bans are quite rare, if 1 or 2 cards are banned per year, that's it. Number of nerfs which happened over last 6 months in HS is simply ridiculous, multiple decks have been invalidated. This really puts me off so much that I am strongly considering going 100% F2P in HS.

I am sticking to HS as my CCG on-the-go as MTG:A doesn't support mobile, but it might change in the future as MTG mobile project has been just announced to be in the works.

To sum up, I would like to see:
- More formats
- Better balance and stability
I'm not like that question.

It makes me feel that they don't even care for why they lost those players in first place.

So even if they return they will quit again at some point because nothing will change.
it would take to unnerf all the basic/classic cards that were nerfed and instead remove the clearly unbalanced cards that abused them or made them problematic
Stop limiting deck experimentation by pushing deck archetypes. They start to release cards just for this archetype, rather than diversity, and then that single archetype takes over the entire meta.

What do I mean by this.

Death rattle hunter, Odd warrior, rez priest, jade druid. etc...

Also, stop with the polarized metas. Ever since jades vs pirates they have made the meta completely polarized. They said all the OTK's need to be in game right now because the infinite value that some DK's produce.

Here's something that they should have learned by now. STOP PRODUCING INFINITE VALUE CARDS. They did this with jade and then they produced skulking geist, which would then kill all the other 1 cost cards in someone deck. Stupid. stupid. stupid.
Reasons to play
02/19/2019 12:31 AMPosted by Reaver

Let's hear from you?

They would have to make the game, and the OP is asking to be honest so..

They would have to make it so the game wasn't rigged. And folks can get offended by that word but sorry, I truly whole hearted believe the game is designed to deal out cards in a certain order, and even more so, certain cards at certain times.

https://imgur.com/a/Enj1AxX
Zillaix turn 5, cause Zilliax is always ready to be dropped by turn 5

Doing the daily today I won the first game vs a Secret Mage. Bad match up for them, good one for me.

Next Match a Rogue. Typical Rogue cards, same for me with Priest. Turn 5 - drop Zilliax. Okay if I don't remove Zilliax there is a good chance the rogue will just shadowstep old Zilly and play it again. Didn't happen but the Rogue didn't need to. He own the board after turn 5 because they were playing rock and I was playing Scissors.

https://imgur.com/a/tm9OslB
all the typical cards a Rogue gets, and me as a Priest were coming out as they are designed. He just had to play them like they always do, keep the board clear and keep facing. I knew if I play my taunt, and I did cause that's all I had...

Sap. And the facing continues.

One of any example one can give about all the classes and all the decks. They just spill out in order over and over again, the same way the same sequence. So tiny of randomness I am just going to say there is none. All you have to do is own the proper cards and get matched up again rock, lizard, scissors, paper, Spock for a win or loss.

So they need to make the game random, making decks need to require thought vs I know what the RNG is going to do so I am putting these cards in, and make it a game that requires skill not memorization and repetitious playing of cards.
I play when i feel like it,on and off. There is nothing hs could change to make me play more,not even more free stuff.
The game is still good enough and fun (i think its great). For me playing less has nothing to do with the game itself.