Hearthstone far more difficult at night

Play Mode Discussion
I always play at the night... I guess I'm a P2W scum...
02/13/2019 12:15 PMPosted by HappyFeet
02/13/2019 12:07 PMPosted by Wardrum
...If you find a job you can afford more cards ;)

I dont work I am mentally ill

Evidently.
Simple:

day = more players = similar rank

night = less players = approximate rank
Ladder is rigged obviously.
tl;dr OP's right...and wrong. Bottom line, if you have even a little skill, you'll win more during the day on NA server. Probably. Maybe.

The rest Eh, OP's not wrong about there being a significant difference between night and day play, in my (admittedly brief) experience.

I tend to play around the same times every day. Usually a session sometime between 8 and 11 am (Central) and then another between 8 and 11 pm. Been doing that for about two months, for an average of 20-25 total games per day, split equally over the two sessions.

Winning is considerably easier during the day. Yesterday was a pretty typical day for me, although I played a few more games (32) than usual. My winrate was about 80% during daytime hours with my Aggro Secret Mage. Night hours, that dropped to an embarrassing ~40%. (All games were in casual.)

The day was extremely diverse, with no one class dominating. The decks tended to be more basic or clearly experimental. Not one FotM deck, and only saw Baku once. No Genn at all. Night, however, was a different story. Of 15 games, hunter and priest accounted for roughly 2/3 by themselves. Repeatedly faced spell hunter and whatever you call the priest deck that keeps copying and resurrecting minions.

OP is probably just being a little tongue-in-cheek about the reason (he seems to like having some fun with you more easily baited guys).

I seriously doubt the difference has anything to do with who pays and who doesn't. I mean, I've spent probably $60 or $70 the last couple months and definitely get my behind handed to me regularly by what I reckon are F2Ps. (And no, I haven't been trying to buy an OP FotM deck...low-tier Mage decks for me).

So, I'm not really sure what the reason is, either, but clearly the night players tend to be more experienced and have better decks.

It would be interesting to know the demographics of day vs. night just to see if there are any identifiable commonalities. For instance, I suspect day players tend to be older and more casual, night players younger and more serious. But that's just a guess based on nothing but gut.

I think @Front242 probably has a pretty good point about the difference in the player pool between day and night, although I'm willing to bet the reality is the reverse of what he said. There probably are many more players at night than during the day when the majority of people are at work/school.

Fewer players during the day means the matches are more uneven, since the matchmaking system has less to work with. If the majority of day players are inexperienced and lower-skilled, the minority of day players who have some experience and even a modicum of skill would almost always overmatch their opponents. At night, with a deeper player pool, the matches would be much more even.

That would help explain my own stats.

I'm a moderately experienced player (played regularly for a year, was out for a while, and recently returned) with a skill level that is slightly lower-than-average.

During the day, even my mediocre experience/skill would give me an advantage. After all, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So my daytime winrate rises well above my actual[ skill level. At night, when there are more players and the matching is more even and competitive, I'm matched against opponents with roughly my same experience and skill level. My winrate drops to my actual level... which isn't all that impressive, apparently. Lol.

Of course, all of that is conjecture and probably meaningless to anybody except me and maybe the OP. But I already spent all this time two-finger typing it on this tablet, so I ain't deleting it.

One other factor that probably contributes to the day/night difference is that people tend to do their quests in the morning and don't really care about winning or using the most viable decks while questing.
02/15/2019 09:36 AMPosted by Streak
tl;dr OP's right...and wrong. Bottom line, if you have even a little skill, you'll win more during the day on NA server. Probably. Maybe.

The rest Eh, OP's not wrong about there being a significant difference between night and day play, in my (admittedly brief) experience.

I tend to play around the same times every day. Usually a session sometime between 8 and 11 am (Central) and then another between 8 and 11 pm. Been doing that for about two months, for an average of 20-25 total games per day, split equally over the two sessions.

Winning is considerably easier during the day. Yesterday was a pretty typical day for me, although I played a few more games (32) than usual. My winrate was about 80% during daytime hours with my Aggro Secret Mage. Night hours, that dropped to an embarrassing ~40%. (All games were in casual.)

The day was extremely diverse, with no one class dominating. The decks tended to be more basic or clearly experimental. Not one FotM deck, and only saw Baku once. No Genn at all. Night, however, was a different story. Of 15 games, hunter and priest accounted for roughly 2/3 by themselves. Repeatedly faced spell hunter and whatever you call the priest deck that keeps copying and resurrecting minions.

OP is probably just being a little tongue-in-cheek about the reason (he seems to like having some fun with you more easily baited guys).

I seriously doubt the difference has anything to do with who pays and who doesn't. I mean, I've spent probably $60 or $70 the last couple months and definitely get my behind handed to me regularly by what I reckon are F2Ps. (And no, I haven't been trying to buy an OP FotM deck...low-tier Mage decks for me).

So, I'm not really sure what the reason is, either, but clearly the night players tend to be more experienced and have better decks.

It would be interesting to know the demographics of day vs. night just to see if there are any identifiable commonalities. For instance, I suspect day players tend to be older and more casual, night players younger and more serious. But that's just a guess based on nothing but gut.

I think @Front242 probably has a pretty good point about the difference in the player pool between day and night, although I'm willing to bet the reality is the reverse of what he said. There probably are many more players at night than during the day when the majority of people are at work/school.

Fewer players during the day means the matches are more uneven, since the matchmaking system has less to work with. If the majority of day players are inexperienced and lower-skilled, the minority of day players who have some experience and even a modicum of skill would almost always overmatch their opponents. At night, with a deeper player pool, the matches would be much more even.

That would help explain my own stats.

I'm a moderately experienced player (played regularly for a year, was out for a while, and recently returned) with a skill level that is slightly lower-than-average.

During the day, even my mediocre experience/skill would give me an advantage. After all, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So my daytime winrate rises well above my actual[ skill level. At night, when there are more players and the matching is more even and competitive, I'm matched against opponents with roughly my same experience and skill level. My winrate drops to my actual level... which isn't all that impressive, apparently. Lol.

Of course, all of that is conjecture and probably meaningless to anybody except me and maybe the OP. But I already spent all this time two-finger typing it on this tablet, so I ain't deleting it.

One other factor that probably contributes to the day/night difference is that people tend to do their quests in the morning and don't really care about winning or using the most viable decks while questing.

Told you it was harder during the night and seems some people agree with me
02/16/2019 09:03 AMPosted by HappyFeet
Told you it was harder during the night and seems some people agree with me

Prime time night... maybe...

After midnight EST I find it easier than daytime personally, but maybe that is just because I am a Night Owl so I am making less blunders than an exhausted opponent.
NA prime time being easymode is a thing in a lot of games, not just Hearthstone.

My pet theory is that Americans as a whole are just bad at everything.
Somehow I always felt quite the opposite. During the day games were quite hard for me while at night much easier.

My personal conspiracy theory:
During the day you face more hardcore players. Maybe someone who is unemployed or some students or streamers - either way they are better at the game since they can dedicate more time to it.

At night all the casuals who were working during the day lurk out. Maybe they are also chilling and drinking or smoking weed that clouds their decision making a bit. I've seen this in other competitive games as well. In League of Legends at night people are often writing things like: 'I'm so drunk I can't see anything' ir 'This weed is so great.'
02/16/2019 09:31 AMPosted by Maelstrom
NA prime time being easymode is a thing in a lot of games, not just Hearthstone.

My pet theory is that Americans as a whole are just bad at everything.
lul, it's not that. I first noticed this phenomenon, difference in difficulty/skill level depending on time zone stuff, when I was playing a fps game (not an American game). There is a skill difference between players from 2-3 p.m. range to, say, a players from 2-3 a.m. range. 2-3 a.m. players definitely seems better in average. My assessment back then was that, in day time, kids and some casuals play more, in late at night, they go to sleep and hardcores play the game. Next I noticed it with WoW (again, not on a US server). I played in a region where Horde had more playerbase. Around 6 p.m. and later, Horde generally loses to Alliance in BG. Sometime in the morning (before 12 p.m.), it's the opposite. I didn't gather enough data to make any assessment on this though, whether it's because better Horde players play in the morning, bad Horde players play after work time is over, or any vice versa for Alliance.

Same goes for HS. This too I didn't really pay attention to which time zone is easier, but I'm guessing this difference in difficulty/skill level depending on time zone applies to every game and every region. Speculation of why has been already mentioned by me or others.