Is Hearthstone dying?

Play Mode Discussion
1) I feel like most people are just holding their breath till rotation to see what happens. If they can knock it out of the park with some new mechanic and freshen things up, they'll probably be fine.

2) I do wonder what percentage of the HS playerbase is on Twitch regularly. For instance, I think I'm in the prime demographic for HS (old enough to have played MtG near it's heyday, young enough to have had Warcraft be a milestone in my gaming experience), and I've literally never been on Twitch.
So many addictive games to play right now. Hearthstone is just same old same old, devs didn't give a !@#$ for a long time and it's the reason HS dying

Now they're losing players they've started asking the question "why don't you play our game anymore?" .

https://twitter.com/IksarHS/status/1097392849589481472

It's two years too late
People say that about every game. Has Hearthstone been going downhill? Yes. Is it dying? Not by a long shot. It definitely isn't as popular as it was when first released.
Nah. It's wrong to focus on just Hearthstone.

The genre of CCG's as a whole are hitting a slump.
In terms of twitch viewership, it certainly has gone way down as many HS streamers either quit completely or waiting to come back for new expansion. And IMO, HS isn't really that fun to watch anymore

Personally, I still get 10-30 seconds queue time so despite the general sentiment that the game itself is stale/dying, most people seem to continue to enjoy HS.
If you have a good deck, why would you want to watch someone else use it, unless you are trying to learn to use the same deck. Makes no sense to me.

Also, there is no strategy anyway, if you have a good deck and luck, you will prevail.

02/18/2019 09:49 PMPosted by sinkie
In terms of twitch viewership, it certainly has gone way down as many HS streamers either quit completely or waiting to come back for new expansion. And IMO, HS isn't really that fun to watch anymore

Personally, I still get 10-30 seconds queue time so despite the general sentiment that the game itself is stale/dying, most people seem to continue to enjoy HS.
Interesting

Iksar on Twitter today asked for those who once had Hearthstone as their primary game but was no longer... what would bring them back?
02/18/2019 06:01 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
Day9 used to be a Hearthstone streamer though. The same is true for Sjow, Kibler and AKAWonder, all currently streaming MTGA. Dog, Trump and Firebat are streaming Autochess right at this moment. Disguised Toast is streaming Apex Legends.

I don't think it's a good sign when 80% of the most popular HS streamers currently online, are streaming other games.

Kibler streams HS during the days and other games later (typically League or MTG). Trump pretty much shows up for Custom HS reviews and thar's about it. Firebat has always been a bit inconsistent... and well, Toast does whatever.

However, Kripp shows up and hauls 12.5k viewers while MTG Arena pulls in a total of 4.9k. So, I mean it's really just about the streamers themselves. Some of which are feeling burnt out due to a lackluster year (same for the community).
Blizz being experienced making games with long progression.

This progression in good to keep the player in the game (exit barrier). Tho its also hindering new players in (entry barrier).

Since the somehow they geniously reducing the value of classic and basic. Progression concept are getting contradicted.

Why you grind for stuff that will gone anyway. And if you bypass grinding, paying 150 a year? Blizz must give us more than this.

Progression will work with wild player. But we all know how blizz treatment for the format.

This makes progression have little value in HS. Less value in progression means thinner exit barrier HS have. Thinner exit barrier making people easily quit HS.
Didn't you know? Hearthstone has been "dying" since 2014!
Hearthstone saw "sequential stability" this past quarter. This essentially means the game has reached Maturity (attracted all the players it could have possibly attracted). The next phase of hearthstones lifecycle would be Decline.

Blizz staves off this Decline by introducing new expansions every 4 months, thereby maintaining interest amongst its users and attracting some new players. Blizz has already announced that they will increase hearthstone development by 20%. This investment could be for a number of reasons: my guess is they don't merely want to maintain it's current users, but want to gain new users within the ever growing CCG space.

To answer the OP, Hearthstone isn't dead. It appears Blizz is pumping more money into HS (as well as Overwatch, Diablo and WoW).
02/18/2019 05:05 PMPosted by Daikaze
Dying? In the sense that time claims all things, sure. Currently, Hearthstone is in a bit of a lull. The current meta is bad and we're waiting for the next expansion.

There's a tournament coming up, so that'll boost the numbers on Twitch a bit. However, HS is often one of the top games on Twitch. Even now, Zalae (top HS streamer ATM) has more viewers than the top MTG:A streamer (Day 9). While I like watching Zalae, a number of other streamers pull bigger numbers regularly.

So, I don't think HS is anywhere near dead, but it's in a weak state right now.

I watch Zalae cause he’s cute. ;)
1) Brode abandones ship.
2) Viewership down. Forum activity down.
3) Latest sets needed nerfs to shake up meta.
4) Jesse Hill let go.
5) Big layoffs.

I would say if there was anytime to be worried about hearthstones overall health then it is now for sure. But total doom and gloom dying? Yah we arnt even close yet.
02/19/2019 12:47 AMPosted by Warbrandx
my guess is they don't merely want to maintain it's current users, but want to gain new users within the ever growing CCG space.

Do you think that (taking into account 100 mln accounts) anyone still left outside?
02/19/2019 02:56 AMPosted by Urza
1) Brode abandones ship.
2) Viewership down. Forum activity down.
3) Latest sets needed nerfs to shake up meta.
4) Jesse Hill let go.
5) Big layoffs.

I would say if there was anytime to be worried about hearthstones overall health then it is now for sure. But total doom and gloom dying? Yah we arnt even close yet.

1) He had been with HS for years. It's not uncommon for developers to move on.
2) It's an aging game, but it's still pulling in decent numbers.
3) Each nerf resulted in a worse meta.
4) :(
5) With Acti-Blizz reporting record profits for 2018.

My current concern is that Blizzard decides to scale back the competitive scene.
Neither of the two streamers (Dog, Toast) I could reliably expect to be playing HS every day seem to play it anymore. Kibler seems to be playing MTGA as much or more than HS. Kripp thinks constructed HS is a sad joke and only plays arena.

I personally find myself only logging in to HS to do my daily quests, with almost no urge at all to just play a few fun games. (I seem to prefer MTGA lately when I get the urge to just play a few random games of something.)

Certainly feels like it's dying to me. I don't enjoy games where the outcome is determined more by match-up or luck-of-the-draw than careful deck construction and skillful in-game decisions. And the game designers for HS seem to have managed to assemble a mish-mash mess of extremely skewed matchups and "does the guy draw down to his OTK before I kill him" luck outcomes.

The game feels like it's in "cash cow" mode, rather than on-going development. When was the last time they added an interesting new feature? Where is 2vs2? Where are in-game tourneys? Where are drafts? Where is their answer to the constant complaints that casual mode isn't sufficiently casual? And so on....
I think the high-time of the CCG market has ended a bit and is now on the course to settling at a smaller number. I think, due to being mobile, that HS will retain it's top spot but Magic caters to the more hardcore crowd and those people are already 'time-tested' CCG players.

Pretty much this. Hearthstone's launch was the computer-based CCG the market had been starving for for a long time. Magic the Gathering's computer offerings were always weak because they were too afraid they would cannibalize their pCCG sales. Hearthstone had no such qualms, and cranked out the simple, fast, accessible dCCG that the market had been wanting for a LONG time but that the industry leader had always failed to provide.

The game had explosive growth, but no game can keep up that kind of pace forever. HS - and dCCGs in general - is settling into a "mature market" phase now. It's not sexy, but it's still the industry dCCG leader and it's still doing very well. Twitch is always going to be chasing the next big thing, so expecting streamers to always be playing HS doesn't make sense. The game will survive just fine without streamers.

I think the quote hits it pretty close. Hearthstone's ability to play on mobile will give it the Market Leader crown for the foreseeable future, while MtG will have a solid following. If MtG ever gets onto mobile though then it might topple the king...
My opinion on the issue:

Last few expansions are quite weak compared to the previous ones. But since this year still contains such powerful expansions as Frozen Thrones and Kobolds these new 'weak' expansions cannot shine and have no impact on the game so the meta is stale and people feel like the game is going nowhere.

So yeah, the game is in a bad shape, but I think it can absolutely recover when rotation hits if they won't release another powercreep expansion.
02/18/2019 04:32 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
Maybe the recent changes to HCT points, were not really about improving competitive play after all, but are supposed to be the first step of a plan to no longer officially support tournament play in HS and instead outsource tournament play to third party organizers?
it would make sense, I mean, as a dev, why would you remove any incentive to play in ranked mode ><
02/18/2019 06:12 PMPosted by LiptonTea
In my head though, the game is definitely dying. On the one hand, the cost of each expansion makes it harder for new players to join, while the stale meta turns away the veterans. Unfortunately I don’t think it will ever lower the pack cost, nor will there be have a balanced meta like that of J2U.
exactly, when you try to bring friends to hs, they just give up because it's too much p2w whereas you can have fun on fortnite or apex as soon as you install the game
02/19/2019 12:47 AMPosted by Warbrandx
Blizz staves off this Decline by introducing new expansions every 4 months, thereby maintaining interest amongst its users and attracting some new players.
rofl, adventures were more new players friendly than expansions so what are you smoking?
02/19/2019 04:44 PMPosted by shozis
Last few expansions are quite weak compared to the previous ones.
indeed, we had dk and quests (and even a free skin) whereas last year's pacs brought nothing
Its a pity watching the current state of the game and what it has turned to... Yet its so freaking easy to turn the tables...

- Make the game 3-10X cheaper.Admit P2W mechanics and try to minimise its effect. Introduce other means for generating income i.e. diamond cards, new heroes etc.
- Make the game 10X more friendly to newcomers by offering 10X more rewards than it currently does.
- Up the free gold/dust per expansion release to a relevant number... And NO by no means 1000 free gold and 1000 free dust giveaways during each expansion can not be considered anywhere near relevant.
-Balance and deck-diversity are the game's core problems since day 1...
Reiterate and reiterate and reiterate till you finally identify a feasible long-term solution without the need to cycling cards in and out of the meta.
-Remove the madness of 3 expansions per year. Its not feasible to ask players to master 135 new cards every 4 months let alone to design "correctly" so many cards...
-Create a sustainable Championship cycle with TOP NOTCH rewards that will incentivize even casual players to ladder up each month!
-Lastly but not least start listening to the community and stop treating your customers just like fat wallets...