Let's Talk about Quests! (+ A New Rogue Quest Idea!)

Play Mode Discussion
I don't know about you but I love the Quests that were introduced in Journey to Un'Goro expansion. I think they were an interesting addition to the game and also very fitting considering how you do quests all the time in World of Warcraft. And, outside of Caverns Below, they were, for the most part, not as oppressive or powerful as the Death Knights from Knights of the Frozen Throne were. At least not in my mind.

Of course not all of the quests were perfect. I'm not gonna go through all of them but just to briefly mention a few; Open the Waygate (Mage) for example is just a gimmick currently and Quest Mage is one of the worst decks in the game.

Caverns Below (Rogue) was of course too oppressive and in many cases the game was won once you completed the quest, so it got nerfed. Twice. But I must give it credit for the fun way you complete the quest. Bouncing your minions back and forth between the board and your hand is a very rogue-like thing to do so I like that aspect of it at least. The quest reward was just too strong and demoralizing for the opponent.

Awaken the Makers (Priest), while not as strong as Caverns Below, is also a bit too strong in my opinion especially when compared to other quests that rewarded you an 8/8 with a Battlecry.

The quests that, in my opinion, are the most balanced are The Marsh Queen (Hunter), Lakkari Sacrifice (Warlock) and Unite the Murlocs (Shaman). These are the ideal quests, for me, that upon completion don't just straight out win you the game but can help you to win by rewarding you with lot of resources to work with, whether it's minions on board, hand or deck.

The Last Kaleidosaur (Paladin), while a fun quest and the one I like to play a lot as a Paladin is also rather weak compared to most other classes simply because it only gives you one big minion and nothing else to your hand, deck, doesn't buff anything, heal you, no nothing. And it has some RNG element in it too since you're not guaranteed to get the type of minion you want. Even if the chances of getting the Adaptations you want is rather high.

Well, those are my opinions of most of the Quests in a nutshell. What are your favorites? I really wished they would bring back new Quests in the future because they got potential!

And lastly, like mentioned in the title, I do have a Quest idea for Rogue. This would have been quite fitting for the Rastakhan expansion since Rogues have this pirate theme in it. So I got this idea:

Gather the Crew
Cost: 1 Mana
Spell
Quest: Summon 6 Pirates.
Reward: Captain's Booty.
Image: https://hearthcards.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/4a/16/a7/68/4a16a768.png

Captain's Booty:
Cost: 0 Mana
Fill your Hand with Coins.
Image: https://hearthcards.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/a1/96/06/17/a1960617.png

While the way you complete the quest is not necessarily as fun or interesting compared to Caverns' Below in my opinion since you're just summoning minions (note the word Summoning not Playing) I like the reward. It may not look like much at first but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. Not only you have much more free mana to play with, be able to play cards you normally couldn't in a single turn, they're free Combo activators and you can use them to make a huge Edwin VanCleef or something!

Thoughts? Got your own Quest ideas?
Quests is an exclusive Un'goro mechanic such as K'Tun buffs or jade golems. There will be no more quests till the end of time and there is no point to talk about them.
02/02/2019 04:12 AMPosted by SSD
Quests is an exclusive Un'goro mechanic such as K'Tun buffs or jade golems. There will be no more quests till the end of time and there is no point to talk about them.
One can always dream. And besides how could the developers know that there're people who want quests to return in the future if we're not telling them?

And I remember Ben Brode once answering to a question whether the Inspire keyword from The Grand Tournament will ever return and he basically said that it's possible. Of course he is not working at Hearthstone anymore. But the point is that it wasn't a strict 'no' and I doubt it currently is even with Brode gone.
02/02/2019 04:24 AMPosted by Siperos
And besides how could the developers know that there're people who want quests to return in the future if we're not telling them?

Good point. Then I'll write it down here: I want more Jade cards!
Quests were fun, I want to see more, but the reward shouldn't be game deciding and it would be better to make them more interactive through board states.

Example:

Neutral
Quest name: Fairest of Them All
Requirements: Have a minion with 1 health on the board at the start of your turn 5 times.
Reward: Magic Mirror
Magic Mirror: 5 mana: 3/3: Copy your opponent's hero power.
Taunt

The Gather the Crew quest idea looks fun too.
When quests are weak they make no impact on the game and when they are strong things get overpolarized due to they start on hand nature.

They impact on the game is all or nothing and that is why continue they is a bad idea.

Spellstones in general can be considered the correct way to do this and even they need extra caution during the design.

Yeah,they were fun when they existed but aren't good enough to be more then a one time thing.

Who played , played . And who not played will have to do it in wild.

And yes. People that not want new quest cards need to open their voices too in topics like this.

But...

I'm all for a special expansion somewhere around hearthstone 10 years that is made of a mix of past mechanics.

That would be really cool and have space for a quest card or 2.
02/02/2019 05:57 AMPosted by SSD
02/02/2019 04:24 AMPosted by Siperos
And besides how could the developers know that there're people who want quests to return in the future if we're not telling them?

Sure. Go ahead (although I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic).

But what you fail to see in that comparison of yours is that Jade mechanic was just, well, one mechanic with one purpose; make bigger and bigger Jade minions.

Quests, however, offer so many more possibilities when it comes to ways decks are built, quests can be completed and their rewards.

02/02/2019 07:18 AMPosted by minami
When quests are weak they make no impact on the game and when they are strong things get overpolarized due to they start on hand nature.
So... Basically almost every legendary ever? Most legendaries are either too weak to see any play or are strong enough become solid part of the meta and polarize the game to some extent. And sure, quests come with the starting hand. But I don't believe they're any more or less polarizing than, say Kingsbane, Mecha'thun, hero cards etc. because of that. Especially when the quests do absolutely nothing on turn 1 unlike Genn and Baku.
02/14/2019 02:41 AMPosted by Siperos
02/02/2019 05:57 AMPosted by SSD
Sure. Go ahead (although I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic).

But what you fail to see in that comparison of yours is that Jade mechanic was just, well, one mechanic with one purpose; make bigger and bigger Jade minions.

Quests, however, offer so many more possibilities when it comes to ways decks are built, quests can be completed and their rewards.

02/02/2019 07:18 AMPosted by minami
So... Basically ealmost very legendary ever? Most legendaries are either too weak to see any play or are strong enough become solid part of the meta and polarize the game to some extent. And sure, quests come with the starting hand. But I don't believe they're any more or less polarizing than, say Kingsbane, Mecha'thun, hero cards etc. because of that. Especially when the quests do absolutely nothing on turn 1 unlike Genn and Baku.

But draw variance is what keep legs fun. When you remove it there isnt fun anymore.

Genn, baku, quests , mecha'thun.
02/14/2019 03:35 AMPosted by minami
But draw variance is what keep legs fun. When you remove it there isnt fun anymore.

Genn, baku, quests , mecha'thun.
So this is about fun factor? Well, I'm certainly not trying to tell you what you should think is fun or not since fun is subjective. So, if that's your opinion then fine.

Although I will add that Quests, or quest rewards rather, do also have an element of card draw variance in them; you have to draw and play the right cards to get the reward. Quests themselves just allow you to start working towards them on turn 1.
A. I’m not reading all that.

B. Crystal Caverns was never oppressive. It was never Tier 1, much less S-0.
02/14/2019 04:16 AMPosted by Nightmare
A. I’m not reading all that.

B. Crystal Caverns was never oppressive. It was never Tier 1, much less S-0.

You must have missed the three nerfs to it, nerfing the card itself twice, then nerfing giggling inventor.
Call To The Old Gods
1 mana Neutral Legendary Spell
Quest : Have 4 minions that cost 10 Played this game by any player.
Reward : Sacrifice To The Gods.

Sacrifice to the Gods
8 mana Spell
Silence and destroy all minions on the board. Shuffle one copy of each Old Gods to your deck. They cost 5 and are 5/5.

This means that this is a quest for greedy control decks.
You need to put 4 amount of 10 cost minions into your deck for it to complete, because your opponent won't always play a 10 cost minion in their deck.
10 mana minion while strong, are rather weak tempo(Most of them), And I don't believe a lot of class have a good 10 mana Minions.
And since it is played, it cannot be cheated with Menagerie on a Tyrantus or stuff like that.

Let RNGesus Take The Wheel!
1 Mana Mage Legendary Spell
Quest : Play 7 Cards that did not start in your deck.
Reward : RNGesus

RNGesus
5 mana 4/8
Taunt. Divine Shield. Cannot Be Targeted By Spells Or Hero Power.
Battlecry : All Cards That Do Not Start In Your Deck Cost 4 Less For The Rest Of The Game.
Ritual of Blood
1 mana Warlock Legendary Spell
Take 15 Damage from your own cards
Reward Eye of Sargeras

Eye of Sargeras
5 Mana Spell
Deal 8 damage to all Enemies, Summon Illidan Stormrage
Edit:

Sacrificing a card in your opening hand and your first turn is crippling for aggro decks. And midrange has a lot of troubling surviving against aggro when they have to make the same sacrifice. So the only decks that can really make use of quests are full control decks. This is probably why the quests didn’t see a huge amount of play, because they were limitied to a fraction of the archetypes in the game.
02/16/2019 03:35 PMPosted by NerevarAgain
Edit:

Sacrificing a card in your opening hand and your first turn is crippling for aggro decks. And midrange has a lot of troubling surviving against aggro when they have to make the same sacrifice. So the only decks that can really make use of quests are full control decks. This is probably why the quests didn’t see a huge amount of play, because they were limitied to a fraction of the archetypes in the game.

Hmm... Murlocs?
Play 10 Murlocs?
Get a 5 mana 8/8 that adds 10 random murlocs, fuels for aggro?
Hmmm....
Hm.....

On the other hand :
1. Bubble Heart - Paladin Quest
Quest : Play 7 Minion with Divine Shield
Reward : Hand of Justice

Hand Of Justice
5 mana
4/2 Weapon
Give all of your minions divine shield after you attack. If they already have divine shield, give it +2/+1.

2. Starry Reaction - Mage Quest
Quest : Have 7 Different elemental died this game.
Reward : Collapsing Star

Collapsing Star
5 mana Spell
All minion have
Deathrattle : Deal 1 Damage to Adjacent minions and minions in front of this minion. Until the end of the game