How do I deal with Frostlich Jaina?

Play Mode Discussion
I don't think I have ever beaten someone after they've played Frostlich Jaina. What do I do? No matter my deck, she mops the floor with me.
I play control priest and with the right draw I can beat it.

But that's how a lot of games in hearthstone are, if you get the cards you need you'll win if you don't you'll lose.

Also, what deck are you playing?
02/09/2019 11:47 AMPosted by Harrop123
I play control priest and with the right draw I can beat it.

But that's how a lot of games in hearthstone are, if you get the cards you need you'll win if you don't you'll lose.

Also, what deck are you playing?

I play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but in my most recent encounter with the frost queen of life steal, I was playing a DIY dragon warrior.
FLJ is like the ultimate non-tempo card. Your best bet for beating a Mage that might play her is by having a reasonable board presence by the time she drops, and having at least one good removal piece ready to clear that Water Elemental so you can continue smashing her face in. This is why BSM leverages her so well, since it can repeatedly hold the board long enough for her to safely be played.

If you're playing a slower deck, you have to grind her out and try to avoid giving her targets to make more Elementals with. If you cannot win with tempo or have a better late game, she'll give you a hard time.

I say this as someone who's played Elemental and Big Spell Mage extensively, and also beaten a LOT of opponents who played her.
I can beat the mage with my elemental mage or my warlock deck. I can also sometime beat her with my priest deck. However, my mage deck is designed to kill other mages and priests.
02/09/2019 11:44 AMPosted by DarthSil
I don't think I have ever beaten someone after they've played Frostlich Jaina. What do I do? No matter my deck, she mops the floor with me.

Certain decks that are less on smaller minions is a way to help minimize those elementals. Once she's able to pump those out, it's pretty much game over. However, if you're able to curb her sources or remove them before she can use them, you can A. Beat her to lethal before she has a chance to recover or B. Outvalue her on the fatigue and prevent her from creating a board.

Once you realize she has no way to create minions in the late game (if the board is empty and she only has spells), she is pretty much done. This again all depends on the deck you play.

For me, if I'm playing a Midrange or Aggro deck that involves a lot of minions, your best bet is to play the tempo and aggro game and hope she cannot recover. Have her make inefficient use of her spells while going for lethal, only making trades when needed. Overextending and gambling for the end all depends on the game itself. Jaina can be very polarizing, and your standard options are very limited compared to wild.

If you're playing a control deck, again, minimize the use of minions if possible. Or another way is to make her expend her resources while stalling the game. If you have a minion based value deck (like Wild Dragon Priest), tank and stall her elementals till you can get to a point where she has no way to create them, and then use hard board clears to empty the board completely. As long as you have the higher draw count, you should be able to beat the fatigue. This works best with Warrior and Priest who can play the game largely without many minions.
Strangely, my Burgle Rogue deck has a 62% win rate against mages, mostly Odd, I think. I have just learned to save my saps and vanishes for the end of the game. They can't freeze my Cutlass if they don't have a board. There have also been a few games where I finished as FLJ or was her at some point in time during the game, because that is the fun of playing Burgle Rogue.
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. Hopefully this will help me in my quest to Not Suck at Videogames™.
02/09/2019 03:09 PMPosted by DarthSil
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. Hopefully this will help me in my quest to Not Suck at Videogames™.
May the RNG ever be in your favor.
Play paper instead of scissors

There was to be this GREAT option. Like you I never could beat a Jaina deck. And she rains supreme for two years.

But then came a day where Shudderwock was released and I dusted all that I could to come close to having that deck and...

Hallelujah!!! I can beat Lich Queen Jaina! Not only once. But again and again. If only you could ask that person - um yeah, how's it feel?

But they nerfed to the ground so Dk Heroes can still reign supreme.

Now you have to make some kind of OTK.
You usually want to keep the pressure up so it is hard for them to play their DK. Be patient and don't overcommit to the board. Play just enough to force out board clears.

Once FLJ is online you have to make it really hard for them to make water elementals without committing cards to do so. Squeeze all the value you can out of your cards as well until you've depleted enough of their aoe to go in.

Here is an example of a good game vs FLJ that I managed to pull out by being patient, but still putting on pressure.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vfzW5Jssz9RTNkwRob87VJ

My taunt quest warrior (not odd), almost never lose to FLJ before. Granted most of my opponent who play it using big spell. The key is mulligan for good taunt (stonehill, etc) and complete the quest by turn 9 latest (80+% of my games i can do that, especially with a deck on low board presence in early turn). Keep all the good AOE in hand before you complete your quest (brawl, reckless flurry etc). after complete quest. play minimum minion if not none, if were to play, play 4 health of > 5 health minion to play around their hero power. Drop their health fast enough, with 2x brawl you have a > 50% chance to hit face everytime you use it. If execute well, normally you get a Jaina tt cannot spawn its water element to lifesteal and slowly die.
It todays meta u laugh at frost queen jaina and otk them.
FLJ's win condition is essentially fatigue.

So play a deck that beats fatigue style win conditions. OTK, strong win conditions, anti-fatigue (dead mans hand) or high aggression decks.
Play DK Rexxar.

Build huge beasts that has taunt + life steal + rush + untargetable, Dire Frenzy and wait for FLJ to fatigue to death.

Bonus points for keeping a stealthed Tundra Rhino on board.
Censor her...
Taunt Warrior, DK Rexxar beat her.

Any OTK takes her down as well I think, I don't play those decks, but I assume it should.
Controllock !@#$s on most jaina builds

Its only when they can somehow outtempo you that they might win by pushing lethal somehow
(You need to have very bad draws, for that to happen)

Or if DK guldan is one of the last cards in your deck, while they get their DK in time

The only thing you have to do, dont draw cards, dont use your heropower
Be careful about librarian, to play him just like that

Either for defile or if you need to upgrade you spellstones, most times its better to dont play him at all

Odd warrior, could pull it of, too

I think every deck that can win a fatigue matchup, might have a shot at beating dk jaina

Cause once you play for fatigue, you stop caring about the healing