Card Creator

Play Mode Discussion
If Hearthstone ever a printed a card that gave you ten overload, what kind of effect should happen in order to warrant such a drawback?
mmm idk, smthg like summon 2 storm guardians maybe...
also it would have to be 10 mana too bc at a lower cost you could easily play that and then lava shock
There was a limited time arena card that gave ten overload, but I can't remember what it did off the top of my head.
Needs a restriction on mana cost as well as overload. I can't imagine a balanced card that costs 1 mana with 10 overload
I think anything that would warrant a 10 overload would have to be too powerful to make it make sense. Deal 8 damage to all enemy minions? Too powerful. Deal 15 damage? I think less than that wouldn't warrant a 10 overload. Not to mention all those Shammy minions that grow with overloads? This is turning into a stream of consciousness but I don't think a 10 mana, 10 overload card will ever exist.
Maybe like a 10 mana 10 overload card. 30/30 but it doesn’t become active until two turns after you summon it. That way the opponent has two turns to react to it. It’s sorta conditional like how the ancient one was.

By active I mean summoning sleepiness will be in effect for two turns. Not that it’s asleep like that darkness
02/11/2019 07:49 PMPosted by WiredAces
There was a limited time arena card that gave ten overload, but I can't remember what it did off the top of my head.

It was Crackling Doom. Zero mana, ten overload, deal 12 to all minions.
"Give you an extra turn"; mana cost: 9 ?

(/o\) I'm not sure...
02/11/2019 08:01 PMPosted by FizzyElf
"Give you an extra turn"; mana cost: 9 ?

(/o\) I'm not sure...

I was also thinking this. But more like 10 mana give you an extra turn. That way it should be mor like an "win more" card.
02/11/2019 07:56 PMPosted by Excism
Maybe like a 10 mana 10 overload card. 30/30 but it doesn’t become active until two turns after you summon it. That way the opponent has two turns to react to it. It’s sorta conditional like how the ancient one was.

By active I mean summoning sleepiness will be in effect for two turns. Not that it’s asleep like that darkness

Any 20 mana card presents some tough challenges. First problem is that you don't want it to be a 1 card combo given the limitations of how Hearthstone mana works. So, it cannot outright win the game (check). The second is that it has to be able to keep up with other turn 10 plays (nope). Let's look at some turn 10+ cards that actually get used:

N'Zoth, Bloodreaver Gul'Dan, Anyfin Can Happen, C'thun, Ultimate Infestation, Aviana, Kun, Zul'jin, Hakkar, Mechathun, Pyroblast

There are some others that have seen play I'm sure, but these are off the top of my head. They basically fall into 3 categories: Build a massive board that threatens lethal, Kill the opponent right now, Generate massive value.

We established that "Kill the opponent right now" should be off the table, but I suppose depending upon the effect building your whole deck around powering up the card would work. The problem is, that removes the effect of the overload and basically screams "I'm C'thun but easier, and you better be sure to build that way".

Some other problems before addressing the other options: In wild, the overload isn't going to stick. This card will be used to set up lethal (because at minimum that is what it has to do), and the overload will be negated (forcing a pair of 2 card combos to achieve that effect still, so the overall power can justifiably be very high). Also, the card effect will most likely be repeatable if it fails if it comes in the form of a minion.

IMO an Ultimate Infestation type spell, that goes bigger, is probably the way to do a 20 mana card.

Overload 10
Summon a 30/30 minion with ("that can't be targeted .." this should have a keyword) with taunt, then freeze it. Gain 10 armor. Deal 2-4 damage to all enemy minions, twice.

The freeze does not wear off on cards that did not have the potential to attack (cast cryostasis on a minion who has already attacked, watch when it unfreezes). The armor offsets a single 10 mana play - specifically Pyroblast - that completely ignores the minion you summon. Skipping 2* turns with no board impact is suicide, so the summoned minion has taunt and can't** be turned into a sheep or frog. The repeating damage on a semi-random roll gives a strictly defensive*** board impact, which is appropriate for the cost (twisting nether is 8 mana, but this is one sided). As a spell neither Shudderwock or Da Undertaker copy the effect, and the currently existing mana reductions for Shaman don't cheat this out.

That's how I would approach it.

*As above, the overload will get removed in wild
**Silence into a removal is a thing that would join peoples decks if this were a real card, and big game hunter is already in print too.
***Yes I realize that you could already have board control and cast this to clear out some taunts. However, it clears neither effect from Hadronox or Bloodreaver Gul'dan even on a max roll and if you have board control going into turn 10 it isn't likely that this is much different from just using Earthshock on the taunt the other guy just played. Rolling twice makes divine shield less effective, but it also makes the damage more predictable with a more steady "6 to all minions" than anything else.
Take an extra turn, after that turn, lose the game

That would be perfect blizzard shaman card design
Power of Grayskull, Shaman 10 mana legendary spell, overload 10, Fill your board with random shaman minions, Fill your hand with random shaman spells, Fill your deck with witches apprentice.