Commoner's Cup Gone BaD- Feb. 2019

Play Mode Discussion
obligatory:

stop calling it common cup if you allow anything other than common cards
02/08/2019 08:13 PMPosted by RubberDucky
obligatory:

Your wish has been granted before you even made it.
I kind of like the idea of APM Priest in this meta. It loses quest, but should still be pretty viable and odds are that your opponent hasn't been practicing with it.
02/08/2019 08:13 PMPosted by RubberDucky
obligatory:

It’s not a common cup. It’s a Commoners cup. Commoners as in regular people.

It’s a laid back tournament that anyone can join, as opposed to a regular tornament that you’d see pro legend players in. Certainly not everyday people by HS standards.
02/07/2019 05:53 PMPosted by Bowser
Ladies and gentlemen, the February 2019 Commoner's Cup is about to kick off, and it's gonna be a bit different this time around. But first and foremost , its necessary to be on the HS-forums discord channel, below, as that is where we arrange matches:

https://discord.gg/t3jcc2p

History:

The Commoner's Cup was founded by Lykotic about 9(?) months ago - recently run by Wardrum, and now its my turn - as a tournament for the working/casual men, women and children of the Heathstone (forum) community, who want to participate in a tournament setting, without having to dedicate 8 hours (or more) in a single session to do so.
We do have a 2 day cap per round so that everything runs as smoothly as possible .

Details:

Submission due date: 11:59pm, Feb 14 2019 (PST)

Start date: Feb 15th 2019 (PST) when lineups have been compiled.

Format: Standard. Open Deck lists.

Tourney Format: Conquest, Bo5 - Bowsers a Douche (BaD) - soz eggs & fuzzy, I know its your concept at heart - and this is where it (starts to) get interesting.
Normally we would be running a 4 deck (unique classes) and 1 deck ban. This time we are going with the BaD model.

BaD = 3 decks from unique classes, however instead of banning a class, you "steal" 1 of your opponents decks, which replaces the deck your opponent "stole" from you, using the deck share option - no collection issues in that regard.

Card Bans:

We are attempting to spice it up a bit from the ladder meta as well, so we have decided the following cards will be banned:

Genn
Baku
ALL Hero cards
Quest cards
Carnivorous Cube

NA: commonercup@gmail.com
EU: commonercupeu@gmail.com

1. You will need a (free) account on challonge.com
2. Use the following format when signing up for this event:

Battle tag: <insert tag>
*Challonge Name: <insert tag>
*Discord Name: <insert tag>
Decklists: a/b/c
*only needed if your tags are (significantly) different across all 3.

3. email the correct account for the server you want to paticipate on, as seen above, and you will be registered/invited to join the relevant tourney.

I signed up on Challonge but I can't find a BaD tournament nor a Commoners Cup tournament in the list...which tournament is ours?

I'd rather sign up without giving away my email address...
02/09/2019 02:50 AMPosted by Gwyneth
02/07/2019 05:53 PMPosted by Bowser
Ladies and gentlemen, the February 2019 Commoner's Cup is about to kick off, and it's gonna be a bit different this time around. But first and foremost , its necessary to be on the HS-forums discord channel, below, as that is where we arrange matches:

https://discord.gg/t3jcc2p

History:

The Commoner's Cup was founded by Lykotic about 9(?) months ago - recently run by Wardrum, and now its my turn - as a tournament for the working/casual men, women and children of the Heathstone (forum) community, who want to participate in a tournament setting, without having to dedicate 8 hours (or more) in a single session to do so.
We do have a 2 day cap per round so that everything runs as smoothly as possible .

Details:

Submission due date: 11:59pm, Feb 14 2019 (PST)

Start date: Feb 15th 2019 (PST) when lineups have been compiled.

Format: Standard. Open Deck lists.

Tourney Format: Conquest, Bo5 - Bowsers a Douche (BaD) - soz eggs & fuzzy, I know its your concept at heart - and this is where it (starts to) get interesting.
Normally we would be running a 4 deck (unique classes) and 1 deck ban. This time we are going with the BaD model.

BaD = 3 decks from unique classes, however instead of banning a class, you "steal" 1 of your opponents decks, which replaces the deck your opponent "stole" from you, using the deck share option - no collection issues in that regard.

Card Bans:

We are attempting to spice it up a bit from the ladder meta as well, so we have decided the following cards will be banned:

Genn
Baku
ALL Hero cards
Quest cards
Carnivorous Cube

NA: commonercup@gmail.com
EU: commonercupeu@gmail.com

1. You will need a (free) account on challonge.com
2. Use the following format when signing up for this event:

Battle tag: <insert tag>
*Challonge Name: <insert tag>
*Discord Name: <insert tag>
Decklists: a/b/c
*only needed if your tags are (significantly) different across all 3.

3. email the correct account for the server you want to paticipate on, as seen above, and you will be registered/invited to join the relevant tourney.

I signed up on Challonge but I can't find a BaD tournament nor a Commoners Cup tournament in the list...which tournament is ours?

You still sign up through the tournament email. Challonge is for roster management, and you will be added to it by Bowser once your decklists have been QC'd. Having an open signup on Challonge last time didn't work out so well since people were skipping deck submissions entirely and not joing Discord for communication.
02/09/2019 03:07 AMPosted by Wardrum
02/09/2019 02:50 AMPosted by Gwyneth

You still sign up through the tournament email. Challonge is for roster management, and you will be added to it by Bowser once your decklists have been QC'd. Having an open signup on Challonge last time didn't work out so well since people were skipping deck submissions entirely and not joing Discord for communication.

I think I got it together now. I signed up for challonge and sent my email.

Apparently, there's an entire channel for this thing. Once I find out my opponent(s), I go to the DC channel?

I'm sorry for being difficult. I've never participated nor watched a tournament.
02/09/2019 04:23 AMPosted by Gwyneth
02/09/2019 03:07 AMPosted by Wardrum
...You still sign up through the tournament email. Challonge is for roster management, and you will be added to it by Bowser once your decklists have been QC'd. Having an open signup on Challonge last time didn't work out so well since people were skipping deck submissions entirely and not joing Discord for communication.

Apparently, there's an entire channel for this thing. Once I find out my opponent(s), I go to the DC channel?

I'm sorry for being difficult. I've never participated nor watched a tournament.
Yup. Once the event begins, folks typically use that channel to coordinate matches and such.
02/09/2019 04:32 AMPosted by Wardrum
02/09/2019 04:23 AMPosted by Gwyneth

Yup. Once the event begins, folks typically use that channel to coordinate matches and such.

I find out who my opponent is on the 14th?
14th or 15th, whenever Bowser adds them to the tournament before opening it.
I’m really looking forward to the deck-stealing part of this. Always love trying out new things.

I’m also happy about not having to play against (or use) odd paladin.
02/12/2019 10:01 AMPosted by Nonagon4
I’m really looking forward to the deck-stealing part of this. Always love trying out new things.

I’m also happy about not having to play against (or use) odd paladin.

The deck stealing portion has been driving me nuts on picking/designing decks. I don't want an obvious steal but I also need to make sure all of my decks have a way to beat the other decks in the line-up since I know one of my match-ups, heh.
Ah, bump.
02/08/2019 09:22 PMPosted by Beaky
I kind of like the idea of APM Priest in this meta. It loses quest, but should still be pretty viable and odds are that your opponent hasn't been practicing with it.
I will NEVER take APM Priest because the majority of my play is by phone.

It's bad enough that the Thunderhead animation takes way too long. That and the animation for Myra's Unstable Element. (Plus something like 2 seconds per Spider?? Ridiculous.)

On that note, I know they stuck in some way on desktop to skip animations by clicking. Has anyone been able to do anything like that on an Android?
02/12/2019 04:40 PMPosted by ilikeeggs
On that note, I know they stuck in some way on desktop to skip animations by clicking. Has anyone been able to do anything like that on an Android?

That has never been proven to exist, its a placebo. If, on your opponents turn, you click the played card popup, then the popup disappears. BUT the animations still go through at normal speed.
Last call. 24 hours +/- until submissions end, and its looking pretty interesting from what I've seen so far.

Don't let fear hold you back, these tourneys really are quite fun (and I all but guarantee i'm first out again based on what ive seen so far)
Noderstar I am ready to you!
Only just discovered this and a bit gutted I missed out on the deadline. Is this just a once a year thing?
02/15/2019 10:49 PMPosted by Bayaz
Only just discovered this and a bit gutted I missed out on the deadline. Is this just a once a year thing?

No, these are monthly tournaments (+/-)

In a "season" (set-to-set) we aim for a roster something like this:

month 1: standard
month 2: wild
month3: standard
month 4: challengestone (deck building challenge)

Sometimes, like this month, we might have to introduce card bans to spice things up for our players, but they do happen every month if you are interested in participating in the future.

Feel free to join us on Discord (use the link provided in the OP, and let me know if it doesnt work - sometimes it glitches for some reason) and get to know some of us.