Dear Hearthstone: We miss you.

Play Mode Discussion
Remember the good old days when the game was filled with honest decks and there was a lot of player to player interactions? Back in the day when you could slap together a stack of minions and spells that you enjoyed playing with and do fairly well.

Now days most games are decided by who draws their super OP synergy first. Many decks either play themselves or have very little interaction with the other players deck. An honest deck could never survive in this meta and that's a shame. Maybe one day we can rotate out the cancer and get back to an honest card game.
You make it sound like when yu-gi-oh added synchros
You haven't even been playing Hearthstone for a long enough time to know about the "good old days."

Old Hearthstone is as busted as Present Hearthstone. Mind Control used to cost 8 mana. Literally everyone ran Nat Pagle and Tinkmaster Overspark used to be targeted.

There is no such thing as an "Honest Card Game." Some kind of imbalance has to be set in order for the game to have any inherent meaning, otherwise, all cards would be Yeti, and the person who goes first wins every time.
Did you post this immediately after getting rolled by a hunter
02/10/2019 01:45 PMPosted by AnimeFood
You haven't even been playing Hearthstone for a long enough time to know about the "good old days."

Old Hearthstone is as busted as Present Hearthstone. Mind Control used to cost 8 mana. Literally everyone ran Nat Pagle and Tinkmaster Overspark used to be targeted.

There is no such thing as an "Honest Card Game." Some kind of imbalance has to be set in order for the game to have any inherent meaning, otherwise, all cards would be Yeti, and the person who goes first wins every time.
incorrect. Game played totally different back then to now. There were obvi busted cards back then, don't mean the game played like this.

Old HS was like 10bil times cooler, fresh, and better than 2018+HS.
This is quite obvi on the internet.

Please don't argue old hs had...death knight style decks...OTK's with no-setup...quest rewards...card draw everywhere...discover n generate everywhere...

I mean cmon be realistic new hearthstone is all about collect your synergy and barf it...or play death knight and hero power it up...baku genn n hero power it up...quest reward and hero power it up...don't thinka bout whats in your deck...your outs.

Old HS..look at old zoo...it cared about discarding...it actually discarded with doomguard...and didn't have a bounceback for those cards...

I mean I could go on and on and so could anyone else on these forums.

Yea, oldie HS had 8 mc 1 mana blizzard or whatevs...0.5 mana CoC...all the old stuff...and yet the game was so much more strategic w/o debate. It wasn't...play this death knight and here's your value...OTK or aggro this strat down...

Deckbuilding is....super simplified. that's not good. deckbuilding is hearthstone.

[/quote]

Played since beta, so idk how that's not long enough >.<
Also all those examples are of single cards that were too powerful at the time. That is not what my post was about.
02/10/2019 01:52 PMPosted by DarthSil

Nope, just sharing what's on my mind.
[quote="207698077800"]incorrect. Game played totally different back then to now. There were obvi busted cards back then, don't mean the game played like this.

Please don't argue old hs had...death knight style decks...OTK's with no-setup...quest rewards...card draw everywhere...discover n generate everywhere...

I mean cmon be realistic new hearthstone is all about collect your synergy and barf it...or play death knight and hero power it up...baku genn n hero power it up...quest reward and hero power it up...don't thinka bout whats in your deck...your outs.

Old HS..look at old zoo...it cared about discarding...it actually discarded with doomguard...and didn't have a bounceback for those cards...

Yea, oldie HS had 8 mc 1 mana blizzard or whatevs...0.5 mana CoC...all the old stuff...and yet the game was so much more strategic w/o debate. It wasn't...play this death knight and here's your value...OTK or aggro this strat down...

Deckbuilding is....super simplified. that's not good. deckbuilding is hearthstone.

I love how this guy makes valid articulate well thought out points pertaining to the post and people downvote it ROFL.
02/10/2019 02:10 PMPosted by FurryTail
[quote]
incorrect. Game played totally different back then to now. There were obvi busted cards back then, don't mean the game played like this.

I love how this guy makes valid articulate well thought out points pertaining to the post and people downvote it ROFL.

Because "Old Hearthstone is ten billion times better than right now" is a logical argument.

Of course Old Hearthstone didn't have DK cards. With that logic, Hearthstone shouldn't have any kind of flavor at all. Oh, Rastakhan has Shrines, and each class has their own? DELETE.

Contrary to your belief, OTK's do need to be set up, by card draw, stall, or even RNG, in the case of Gallery Priest.

Quest rewards do not win games by themselves, and neither do card draw.

You say that Old Hearthstone was more strategic, but in what way? It still operated under the same mechanics as today.

You say deckbuilding is nonexistent nowadays, but who created the deck that you have? Someone had to have made the deck that you currently own, or you made it yourself.

The arguments you make are hardly well thought out at all, and they aren't even articulate. I now have a migraine just from reading the dumpster fire of a post.
The good old days of force savage. Or the dreaded force savage innervate savage.
Give team 5 credit

They tried to dial back the power level for the greater good of the game. Sales fell off when players soon realized you didn't have to buy many of the new cards to compete. They couldn't simply gut everything from 2017 without alienating too many players so basically we all have to wait for the April rotation.

Not sure there ever was a golden period . We had a year of Shamanstone and another year of Pirate Warrior before the huge power spikes of Frozen Throne and Kobold's.

Genn and Baku are up on the chopping block and Maly will be HOF.
02/10/2019 01:52 PMPosted by DarthSil

Ima need you to go ahead and shut it for me, tough guy.
Dear players

I don't miss you and, I'm not coming back.

Cordially

Hearthstone
OP, things might change in the direction you want.

According to Dean Ayala, when testing the first set of this year winning feels different and strange because it’s not about assembling a 5 card win condition and you have to think about resources differently.

I don’t know how much I believe that players won’t do their very best to squeeze every last drop of juicy cards to make those busted synergies, but with DKs, res/DR mechanics, Quests, and Recruit all going away it’s going to be a very different Hearthstone.
Get rid of OTk, ODD and Even! Hall of fame Baku and the other dude admit you messed up! And move onwards.

Get rid of stupid non interactive cards.

Get rid of stupid mana cheating cards that spew out more over powered ridiculous cards...

Get Rid of death knight cards and stop created stupidly overpowered cards that can automatically win you the game once played....
02/10/2019 03:25 PMPosted by Marcoscongas

According to Dean Ayala, when testing the first set of this year winning feels different and strange because it’s not about assembling a 5 card win condition and you have to think about resources differently.

I don’t know how much I believe that players won’t do their very best to squeeze every last drop of juicy cards to make those busted synergies, but with DKs, res/DR mechanics, Quests, and Recruit all going away it’s going to be a very different Hearthstone.

Yes that's a good point. I am hopeful with the rotation coming up a lot of the power creep will dissapear. I'm still concerned that the game will be dominated by Baku and genn decks but hopefully something can be done about that as well.
02/10/2019 03:06 PMPosted by DirectorsCut
Give team 5 credit

They tried to dial back the power level for the greater good of the game. Sales fell off when players soon realized you didn't have buy many of the new cards to compete. They couldn't simply gut everything from 2017 without alienating too many players so basically we all have to wait for the April rotation.

Not sure there ever was a golden period . We had a year of Shamanstone and another year of Pirate Warrior before the huge power spikes of Frozen Throne and Kobold's.

Genn and Baku are up on the chopping block and Maly will be HOF.

Your right and I do commend then for pulling back on the power levels. I still have some major gripes about some of the other desicions they've been making but I don't want to change the topic so I'll leave it at that. I wasn't aware Baku and genn were on the chopping block though. Where did you read that?

BS. I've been playing since just after beta and aggro decks are 10 times worse than they were back then because they are more powerful, and often generate extra value. Remember when undertaker was an issue? It was pretty unique for it's time, but It's nothing compared to some of the 1 mana cards we have now and pre-nerf it was probably on par with cards today. By the sheer nature of the game, power creep exists and it has never been so hyper-aggressive. Yeti was unique. It was the ONLY card at the time that had +1 to a stat above it's cost without some kind of negative and it generated ZERO extra value (it was also popular because it had 4 attack so priest could not deal with it). Now you have a TON of cards that are valued much higher with similar stat lines AND they all generate extra value.

You basically have three types of decks now. Super aggro, super control (which except for big spell mage are very hit and miss since the hyper aggro decks are built to flood the board), and "play a million taunts". I mean when a class has to fill half of their deck with taunts to be viable, there is an issue. Do you remember when most people put ONE TAUNT in their deck? I do. Stonehill Defender without the draw of another taunt would be a REALLY BAD card. But since it draws another taunt AND things like odd paladin are a thing, it's practically played by at least one major deck in every class. I just finished playing a TAUNT RES PRIEST. That's a phrase I thought I would never be typing.

The devs are continually making it worse by nerfing good removal like EQUALITY which was fine for years, but now it's suddenly a "problem"? And they let decks like odd paladin live on by faking important nerfs. I mean who REALLY thought that nerfing level-up was going to nerf odd paladin? And don't give me any nonsense that the equality nerf must had to do with the next expansion. The devs have stated that they want matches to be short and fast. Preferably over before turn 6. This is no longer Hearthstone, it's a rock/paper/scissors deck building game labeled as Hearthstone. Hearthstone, the one that I grew to love that had, you know, actual strategy (instead of empty your hand, fill your hand, empty your hand as fast as possible) to it doesn't exist any more.
It's the nature of all CCG games. New expansion comes out, an oppressive meta takes form, nerfs suppress that oppressive meta, new or existing decks fill the void left by those nerfed, so on and so forth.

If a CCG game wanted to be stable, they would honestly have to stop releasing expansions or release expansions with uninteresting cards that hardly benefit pre-existing archetypes. At which point, nobody would play, the game would be too boring/stale.
02/10/2019 03:35 PMPosted by FurryTail
02/10/2019 03:25 PMPosted by Marcoscongas

Yes that's a good point. I am hopeful with the rotation coming up a lot of the power creep will dissapear. I'm still concerned that the game will be dominated by Baku and genn decks but hopefully something can be done about that as well.

It’s the latest Value Town. Great interview, quite possibly the most positive sign I have seen lately from Team 5 for the future of Hearthstone.

Genn and Baku were also addressed, devs were caught by surprise by how many were powerful. But before you insult them for their lack of foresight go back and watch the community reaction during the Witchwood reveals, all of the streamers like Kibler and Krip who now constantly complain about them were all unimpressed and reviewed them poorly.

And coincidentally Dean Ayala said the same thing I have been saying for a while now as the cause of OTK decks, the inability to compete with decks filled to the rim with removal winning with infinite value cards like Mage/Warlock/Hunter Death Knights.