Filter?

Play Mode Discussion
Is there a filter or a mod that removes any post that has profanities, even if the profanities are censored with hyphens?

I've had about a half-dozen posts just go 'poof' with no explanation. None of them were particularly controversial or inflammatory and all the profanities were hyphenated.

At first, it seemed to only be the posts that had two or more hyphenated profanities, but I just had a post with a single profanity disappear. It was the slang term for posterior and the Ss were hyphenated. As curses go, that's pretty mild.

I'm curious whether it's a filter/mod, or just a known posting glitch and I'm reading too much into it. If it is a filter, that kinda sucks.

I know not everybody curses as much as I do - a bad habit picked up a long time ago in the military - but c'mon. It seems a little extreme to delete posts for containing words allowed on network television in prime time. Especially when they're censored with hyphens.

Of course somebody's gonna say, 'Think about the children!' And yes, supposedly little kids play Hearthstone, but I doubt many come on the forum. Even if they do, the parents of a kid using the internet have A LOT more to worry about than their little Johnny reading a commonly used term for the gluteus maximus.

Besides, there's about a 100% chance the kid has heard that word and much worse many times before. Probably from his parents.

/useless rant

But seriously, if there is a known posting glitch, somebody let me know.
There is a known posting glitch.

I don't think you can say it was/is associated with your profanities, hyphenated or not.

I would imagine you would have been suspended if the mods thought the swearing was actionable . I was suspended a couple days ago for 24 hrs for swearing, I SP ACED THE CUR SE WO RDS, like that, but they aren't dumb, and I got nabbed. (I didn't think they were dumb, I just didn't care, lol)

TLDR: I'd refrain from the masked language if you value your posting privileges and always copy your posts so you can paste them if your post gets "eaten".

GL
Are these posts in existing threads, or new threads altogether?
Context matters more. I doubt mods delete certain thread/post just because there is one profanity, or two. I sometimes use profanity also when exaggerating the situation, like the a word or f word.
Yes, it probably is forum derping again. There are times when my post simply don't stick when I quote someone using quote box function. It sticks no problem when I remove it. Can't figure out what can possibly cause such interaction.
Given the amount of cursing (both covered and punctuated in a manner so as to bypass the filter) that I've seen on here, it's pretty unlikely that your posts are removed solely due to language unless you're incredibly overt about it with a new thread title or OP.

There IS however a forum bug that causes posts that have been edited too quickly (or in some cases of original posts, at all) to get eaten by the spam filter. Its frustrsting and we've all been hit by it dozens of times. Did you edit any of those posts that were removed?
@MadMax Both.

@Right and @sky3union Thanks, that makes me feel better. Glitches are annoying, but censorship is insidious.
I just made a thread, the topic post got deleted but the thread is still there. Just noticed. Kinda funny
02/15/2019 10:28 AMPosted by Wardrum
Given the amount of cursing (both covered and punctuated in a manner so as to bypass the filter) that I've seen on here, it's pretty unlikely that your posts are removed solely due to language unless you're incredibly overt about it with a new thread title or OP.

There IS however a forum bug that causes posts that have been edited too quickly (or in some cases of original posts, at all) to get eaten by the spam filter. Its frustrsting and we've all been hit by it dozens of times. Did you edit any of those posts that were removed?

Bingo. I think we've got the answer.

I edit almost all my posts for typos, especially the ones I write on a tablet. And usually, I make the edits immediately after posting.

That explains it perfectly because the posts always show initially, then vanish right after I edit. Now I feel like a dodo for not catching onto that myself.

Thanks for the explantion.
not sure if they do it here

but in other forums ive been you can be modded for posting like that to avoid the filter
02/15/2019 10:37 AMPosted by Streak
02/15/2019 10:28 AMPosted by Wardrum

Bingo. I think we've got the answer.

I edit almost all my posts for typos, especially the ones I write on a tablet. And usually, I make the edits immediately after posting.

That explains it perfectly because the posts always show initially, then vanish right after I edit. Now I feel like a dodo for not catching onto that myself.

Thanks for the explantion.
No problem. Abuse the hell out of that 'Preview' button since it won't affect you, and always copy your entire post before replying or making a new thread just in case it disappears into the void.

Fair warning though, foul language is still technically against the CoC even though there's a filter in place (family-friendly forum and all that) so if you use it aggressively towards another individual, you can still be reported for it and I've seen friends get actioned for what I'd consider rather minute "offenses", especially when it comes to individuals with a... propensity for reporting over such things, if you catch my drift.