Last Expansion in April?

Play Mode Discussion
With sales slumping in Activision, Blizzard not sponsoring Hearthstone tournament, Bungle splitting from Activision, and Hero of the Storm on life support, I believe this next expansion will be the last one.
Lmao no way.

While this game might not be growing/sustaining the type of rates it used to, that doesn't mean there is only a handful of people left playing the game.

There is definitely going to be another expansion after the next one. You'd be surprised at how many people still play this game, even if it's not as much as before
02/09/2019 02:26 PMPosted by Roscuro
I believe this next expansion will be the last one.

You are wrong in assumption that work on the next expansion is started after release of previous. There are three expansion in progress simultaneously, so you can expect at least two of them to be releases after the news that HS team is fired.
With sales slumping in Activision, Blizzard not sponsoring Hearthstone tournament, Bungle splitting from Activision, and Hero Storm on life support, I believe this next expansion will be the last one.

Yeah, no. Having multiple struggling franchises doesn’t mean you cut off your successful ones. I haven’t checked recent reports, but last I saw Hearthstone was bringing in ~100M USD per quarter against something on the order of ~75M expenses. And while that 25M won’t keep everything else afloat on its own it isn’t a dog begging to be put down either.
100 vs 75 is worrysome a bit.
The costs they are mostly fixed costs i think. Designing the expansions and having the website and the servers running.
If they sell 25% less packs they would go in the red? i guess they will start cutting costs soon then.

Can they even stop the game,i mean they do have some sort of obligation towards everyone who bought cards. Maybe not legal (no clue about that) but it would be a pretty bad precedent.
02/09/2019 02:43 PMPosted by Tao
Yeah, no. Having multiple struggling franchises doesn’t mean you cut off your successful ones. I haven’t checked recent reports, but last I saw Hearthstone was bringing in ~100M USD per quarter against something on the order of ~75M expenses. And while that 25M won’t keep everything else afloat on its own it isn’t a dog begging to be put down either.

First google says they made 400mil in revenue from hearthstone alone last year.
HS is freaking gold mine, it’s more likely they cancel new content for any other game (except Overwatch).
02/09/2019 03:18 PMPosted by Eyan

Aye, that meshes. The 100 I was quoting was just a quarter’s revenue, so 400 for the year means that was an average quarter for them.

Remember though, revenue isn’t profit. Making 100 Million is impressive, but doesn’t mean much unless we know the expenses, and that wasn’t as granularly spelled out in the quarterly report. The numbers I had assuredly went through some estimations and conjecture. But the report did state Blizzard’s running costs at large, and numbers showing Hearthstone pulling in at 33% over costs fits that data pretty well.
>_> Again people have no idea how large the number of 1 million plus players is. Ok 100 million, obviously the number of active players is much less than that but even if 1/10th of 100 million are active, it is STILL 10 MILLION PLAYERS. Like instead of knee jerk reacting to everything how about thinking before you post? HS isn't unsinkable and yeah they likely lost players over the past few months, but this game still dwarfs every other CCG. It ain't gonna die in a month's time. Yeesh.
Yeah, I'd like to see some sources for all this supposed doom and gloom. Better sources than " some guy who heard it from his dog walker who read it on 4chan".

The OP doesn't even get the "no tournies" thing right since he mixes up the HotS announcement with Hearthstone.

Color me skeptical.
02/09/2019 04:17 PMPosted by Tao
02/09/2019 03:18 PMPosted by Eyan

Aye, that meshes. The 100 I was quoting was just a quarter’s revenue, so 400 for the year means that was an average quarter for them.

Remember though, revenue isn’t profit. Making 100 Million is impressive, but doesn’t mean much unless we know the expenses, and that wasn’t as granularly spelled out in the quarterly report. The numbers I had assuredly went through some estimations and conjecture. But the report did state Blizzard’s running costs at large, and numbers showing Hearthstone pulling in at 33% over costs fits that data pretty well.

A 25% profit margin is nothing to be sneezed at. 15% was considered a good profit margin where I used to work, and it wasnt a concern until it got to lower than 8% (shareholders and all that jazz). Admittedly thats in construction which is a different field altogether, but it was still a multi-million dollar company at the end of the day.
Yup. They are totally going to throw it in because they are only making a gazillion dollars instead of 1.2 gazillion dollars.
~75M expenses.

I don't get this how the hell they spending 75M per quarter? That doesn't even sound feasible....
02/09/2019 05:43 PMPosted by Krickett1
~75M expenses.

I don't get this how the hell they spending 75M per quarter? That doesn't even sound feasible....

Globally how many employees do you think work on HS? - Biggest expense will ALWAYS be labour (salary/wage costs), and its far more than the members of team 5 alone.

Operational costs - server operation, maintenance & upgrade costs, 24-7 (on call) technicians etc. Not cheap!

Fringe costs - Such as tournament prize pools.

With all due respect Kricket, you clearly have no experience with how big business operates. $75M in a quarter is cheap for the product being provided.
02/09/2019 05:43 PMPosted by Krickett1

Given ATVI has a $33 billion dollar market cap (and that's after they dropped like 45% since last fall), 75M in expenses is just business as usual.
With sales slumping in Activision, Blizzard not sponsoring Hearthstone tournament, Bungle splitting from Activision, and Hero of the Storm on life support, I believe this next expansion will be the last one.

You keep thinking that, kid. As a matter of fact, go ahead and dust your entire collection...since its going to be the last.
Someone will always buy the box bundle and special limited time Hero.
Just from your post and your post count you sound like you have no experience in hearthstone so I'd avoid leaving future comments regarding anything related to marketing because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Last I checked Hearthstone was Blizzards best earning title without anything resembling competition from their other titles (including WoW and Overwatch). Even their second best earner was so far behind it's silly.

WoW and Overwatch will likely both be shut down before Hearthstone is in any danger of the same.