New minion type idea: "Plants"

Play Mode Discussion
Some of my favorite threads in this Forum have been about creativity and ideas for game mechanics. Since I'm a botanist by trade, I recently thought about an idea for a new minion type: "Plants", of course! They could be introduced in a Botany-themed expansion, or even any expansion involving nature on Azeroth (see my "Planet Azeroth" idea in Hailfail's "Seas of Azeroth" thread). These cards could "grow" over time, and I don't mean necessarily only like "Gain +1/+1 at the end of each turn". The idea would be, maybe they don't start out too threatening, but if you ignore them, you'll regret it.

Weed plant minion, 2 cost 2/2, text: "After 2 of your turns, make 2 copies of this minion". Obviously synergizes with stat boosting cards.

Carnivorus plant minion, 4 cost 4/4, text: "In 2 turns, eat a random enemy minion and gain its stats".

Parasitic plant minion, 6 cost 2/2, text: "At the end of each of your turns, draw -1/-1 from each neighboring friendly minion to gain twice that." So if you place it so it's between two minions, it goes to a 6/6, and even though those minions get weaker, the plant grows much faster, so it must be dealt with.

Magic-Eater plant minion, 6 cost 5/5, text: "At the end of each of your turns, Silence a friendly minion." Why such a weird power? Well, sometimes friendly minions have negative Deathrattles, or have high stats for a low cost but "Can't attack" (for instance, another "plant", Humungous Razorleaf). Of course, this effect could also bite you in the rear if you aren't careful, so your opponent might choose to let it live for a while and see what happens.

Then you'd have your minions that synergized with Plants:

Horticulturist neutral minion, Battlecry: "Give a friendly Plant +1/+1".

Herbivore neutral minion, Battlecry: "Eat a Plant to gain +1/+1".

Etc. Each class could also get a couple Plants that followed that Hero's theme. Priest could have a Medicinal Plant, that actually loses stats over time (-1/-1 at the end of each turn) but heals your Hero for 5 each time it does; so eventually, it'll go away on its own, but the Priest will get a lot of healing if the opponent doesn't kill it. Warlock could have a Vampiric Plant that subtracts Health from the Hero each turn, but grows massively each time. Rogue, Poisonous Plants; Shaman, Aquatic Plants that help Murlocs, etc.

Finally, a new, Plant-specific game mechanic called "Harvest". The Plant minions with this text would have high-ish health, but NO attack; not "zero" attack, but literally could not gain an attack. Plant minions with Harvest on your side of the board could be targeted by enemy minions and damage-dealing spells as usual. Harvest would act similarly to Magnetic, in that you'd play a minion from your hand on a certain side of the Harvest Plant minion on the field, and the two would "combine". But with Harvest, there would be several key differences: 1, ANY minion, played from your hand on the proper side of the Harvest minion, would activate it; 2, the activation would NOT increase the health stat of the combining minion (like a Magnetic combination would do), but rather would give it an extra effect, similar to "Adapt" but not a choice of three options; 3, the longer the Harvest Plant stays alive, the more effects it bestows upon the minion it combines with, fitting with the theme that if your opponent allows the Plants to grow, things get out of hand. Example ideas:

Coffee, Harvest Plant, 3 cost 6 health minion, text: "Minion that Harvests this after 1 turn gains Rush; after 3 turns, also gains Divine Shield."

Nightshade, Harvest Plant, 4 cost 8 health minion, text: "Minion that Harvests this after 1 turn gains Poisonous; after 3 turns, also gains Stealth."

I'm all for mechanics that encourage careful calculation and finding exciting deck synergies, and I feel like having minions like these could lead to more strategizing, planning multiple turns in advance for a big payoff. Obviously, the skilled players that are moving high in the Ranks already plan many turns in advance, which comes from their experience, understanding their decks and the decks they're facing. Minions like the Plants could encourage casual players like me to do more strategizing as well, not only attacking with them, but how to defend against them ("I could ignore that weak Plant for now, attack the Hero, and hope I draw hard removal in the next two turns when it gets massive... or maybe I should use my minions now to kill it while it's small...")

I enjoy imaginative threads, so please, post your own ideas here too! These forums provide me with a creative outlet that I don't otherwise have at the moment, and I enjoy Hearthstone and talking to players.
Bulbasaur Druid meta inc.
Would there be a card similar to Mass Dispel, but it would be Mass Weed eater or something, and it could silence all enemy plants? I think this is a cool idea.. Maybe it will happen.. :)
Nice idea

+1
I was expecting this exact tribe to become a thing in Un'goro. You know, Saplings, Treants, Ironbark, the Voraxx, Sherazin.... Sadly it didn't happen

edit: I mentioned Ironbark because when Elementals became a thing, those Basic cards which happened to share the tribe were updated. Ironbark Protector would have certainly become a Plant, just as Magma Rager became an Elemental.
Weed 4 Attack 20 Health

Battlecry: All your opponents minions have a 100% chance of becoming very hungry and sleepy at the same time.
02/21/2019 05:44 AMPosted by Right
Weed 4 Attack 20 Health

Battlecry: All your opponents minions have a 100% chance of becoming very hungry and sleepy at the same time.

Hahaha! Love it! Or how about:

Weed, Harvest Plant: "Minion that Harvests this gains Inspire +1/+1, but also 50% chance to attack wrong enemy".
if we have plants, we will need zombies too
02/21/2019 05:24 AMPosted by blackveiled
I was expecting this exact tribe to become a thing in Un'goro. You know, Saplings, Treants, Ironbark, the Voraxx, Sherazin.... Sadly it didn't happen

edit: I mentioned Ironbark because when Elementals became a thing, those Basic cards which happened to share the tribe were updated. Ironbark Protector would have certainly become a Plant, just as Magma Rager became an Elemental.

I had that EXACT thought while I was writing my post, with those same minions! Seems like a good future way to revitalize and recontextualize certain existing cards.
Wow, this would be so cool!

Would all Treants become plants, do you think?
02/21/2019 06:11 AMPosted by LittleSmall
Wall-nut priest meta incoming :(
02/21/2019 06:54 AMPosted by Marigold
Wow, this would be so cool!

Would all Treants become plants, do you think?

This is where my knowledge of the game meta is lacking a bit. Are Druid Treant decks strong already? If so, making Treants into the Plants minion type (with all the various Plant synergies) might make them TOO powerful. But if the "Treant" deck never really became too strong in the meta, perhaps giving Treants the "Plant" type could give the deck a needed boost.
Bog Creeper would be a plant.
Also, FWIW, if you want to browse, Hearthstone Wiki has a plant category.

Interesting
02/21/2019 06:11 AMPosted by LittleSmall
Best Tavern Brawl EVER!
02/21/2019 07:07 AMPosted by Right
Also, FWIW, if you want to browse, Hearthstone Wiki has a plant category.

Interesting

Veeerrrryy interesting indeed! Also, I forgot about that Adapt choice, to make two seedlings. Seems like a fun Deathrattle for a Plant minion: "Deathrattle: If it's your opponent's turn, summon 2 1/1 seedlings." "Seedlings: At the end of your turn, gain +1/+1."

Honestly, I'm all but certain that if this game survives long enough, they'll add a Plant minion type, it seems like a pretty obvious addition. I just hope it introduces some new mechanic too, that shakes things up in an unexpected way.
Blizzard needs to hire this man or at least ask to use your idea because this is excellent!
I would like some sort of legendary root minion that skips an enemy turn. Bye bye OTK.
02/21/2019 04:53 AMPosted by IMAGROWNUP
Would there be a card similar to Mass Dispel, but it would be Mass Weed eater or something, and it could silence all enemy plants? I think this is a cool idea.. Maybe it will happen.. :)

Landscaper, 5 cost 4/6 neutral minion, Battlecry: "Add a Weedwacker spell to your hand."
Weedwacker, 6 cost spell: "Silence all enemy Plants."

How's that? :-D
02/21/2019 09:35 AMPosted by gorillamunch
I would like some sort of legendary root minion that skips an enemy turn. Bye bye OTK.

The thing about skipping an enemy's turn is it's an INCREDIBLY powerful effect, which can win you the game outright if played correctly. So far, it's been relegated just to Jaina's "Time Warp", and you need to fulfill the requirements of her Legendary Quest before obtaining it.

So the Legendary minion you're imagining that would essentially stall an opponent's OTK would have to have an enormous downside. How about this:

The Great Autumn Oak, Legendary 13-cost 1/8 Plant minion, text: Costs 1 less per friendly Plant that died this game. Battlecry: Destroy ALL other minions and fill each side of the board with Dormant 'Spring Acorns'."
Spring Acorn, 2/2 Charge/Taunt minion, starts Dormant: "At the start of your next turn, Dormancy ends."

So the upside is, if you see a OTK coming, you can play The Great Autumn Oak, which prevents them from playing a minion at the start of their next turn because, since all YOUR Acorns are still Dormant, their Acorns have nothing to kill themselves on (unless they have a means to kill their own minions that is still usable as part of the OTK). Furthermore, it's a counter to an opponent's Mecha'thun (if it's somehow been played, but not activated yet) because its Deathrattle won't activate, since there are minions on that side of the board. So it stalls your OTK death by one turn in most circumstances.

The downside for this powerful Legendary card is, since the Acorns on both sides of the board are Charge, you immediately take 14 damage to the face during your opponent's next turn... more, if your opponent has spells that boost minion attack/do damage to Heroes. Furthermore, you'd need a way to reduce its cost to at least 10, the most likely way by playing at least 3 other Plants that game (this restriction could help prevent it from becoming an auto-include in all deck types). Finally, if you somehow survived the 14+ face damage, you couldn't then necessarily attack your opponent's face immediately on your next turn, because your opponent's Acorns have Taunt (as do yours). So, you'd either have to kill all your opponent's Acorns by running your own into them, or have held on to a large enemy board-clearing spell until that moment in the game (Mage's Flamestrike, etc), or find some other way.

These downsides are the only fair way I could see having a card effect that essentially stalls the plans of your opponent for an entire turn. But I'm sure players more clever than myself would find a way to make even this idea its OWN OTK.