Stupid mecha-cthun

Play Mode Discussion
Commentary: "Leeroy Jenkins created a strategy that revolved around trying to defeat your opponent in one turn without requiring any cards on the board. We like having a variety of deck types but taking 20+ damage in one turn is not very fun or interactive."
Here is a guide that I came up with that help you win against OTK decks.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20770977452

Hope it helps.
02/23/2019 05:18 AMPosted by Madmax

There's a difference between losing because you lost board control at a key time, or you get baited into a big AoE, or the opponent was smart with playing taunts at the right time, etc.

And there's losing because the guy just dumped out his entire deck in 9 turns and you can't do anything about it because they have 25 armor at all times.

That... has nothing to do with what I said?

I don't think anyone ever called Midrange Shaman or Even Paladin (post CtA nerf) a "garbage gimmick that should never exist"
It's there for punishing greedy players, and those that accumulate too much armor.
It may be an instant win, but the cost and requirements needed basically require the entire deck to be spent.

It is balanced and fair.

If you can't win before it's played, you got something wrong with yourself.
02/22/2019 12:21 PMPosted by omega1227
Wow... I didn't think anyone would actually agree with me. I'd just lost to a warlock mecha deck and was feeling quite bitter.

Now that I have a calmer mind... yeah, F that card. It's cheap and should never have been made. I don't mind getting my butt whooped when someone makes a really good play or when I screw up... but when someone is like, "Duh, I got rid of ALL my cards, I win!"... It's just... frustrating.

Exactly. You are not the problem there. Still, even if it is not about you, that does not mean that you should feel better. I lost bunch of times playing against that crap and I knew that if the devs were of sane mind, that would not happen. But it still did not made me feel better.

By the way, I was playing the game for 3 years, doing every daily quest, never missed one. A month ago, I quit. Precisely because HS has elevated OTKs and board-empty decks.
02/22/2019 06:22 PMPosted by freckles
I agree, it doesn't feel good to lose to. It's not a very good card though. All of its decks are tier 4 or worse. It feeds on control and combo decks that are too slow, or don't have the tech to counter it.

It also renders midrange decks useless because of the unlimited removal available to these awful OTK decks. I don’t care what tier some at arbitrary website says it is. Mecathun sucks. Get rid of it and admit the mistake. It’s OK, but please delete it.
I'll just post the same comment here that I posted months/years ago about Quest Mage, if you haven't played a Mecha'thun deck, you don't realize that it does take skill to stay alive long enough to pull the combo off.

If the Mecha'thun player can hold you off long enough to draw the combo and draw out their entire deck, then they've won. Mecha'thun destroying you is just the cherry on top. Yes, it feels bad when you lose, because it seems like you lost "all of the sudden" when you were completely ahead. However, the reality is that you had been losing for a while, but just in a different way. Open the Waygate quest was exactly the same, as is Malygos & Togwaggle druid.

Anyway, I understand the frustration, but it's unwarranted, in my opinion.
02/24/2019 08:33 AMPosted by Mikey
02/22/2019 06:22 PMPosted by freckles
I agree, it doesn't feel good to lose to. It's not a very good card though. All of its decks are tier 4 or worse. It feeds on control and combo decks that are too slow, or don't have the tech to counter it.

It also renders midrange decks useless because of the unlimited removal available to these awful OTK decks. I don’t care what tier some at arbitrary website says it is. Mecathun sucks. Get rid of it and admit the mistake. It’s OK, but please delete it.

Find from my experience playing mechathunlock that mid range decks with bigger minions are much harder to deal with than a strictly aggro deck.
02/22/2019 10:43 AMPosted by Mikey
The dev team are the ones that need to "git gud". OTK needs to be hard to pull off again, like old malygos Rogue or whatever. Its WAY too easy right now. Stupidly easy.

Just give all classes thier own ice block. No more OTK overwhelming.
There are arguments that OTK decks are not abnormal but when you add cards that 'destroy all cards less than 3 in your deck' and then a 'destroy all cards in your hand and all minions' it goes too far in my opinion.
02/24/2019 11:36 AMPosted by Curdium
If the Mecha'thun player can hold you off long enough to draw the combo and draw out their entire deck, then they've won. Mecha'thun destroying you is just the cherry on top.

If there only was a cake. But it´s just the cherry. Instead of cake you get removal, armor/heal..
02/22/2019 09:43 AMPosted by omega1227
God I hate mecha-chthun.

Like, so much. Feels so cheap when you lose to it.

Yeah, yeah, git gud or whatever. I've won to it lots too, I just hate losing to it.

Thats why i use hakkar instead :)
02/24/2019 11:36 AMPosted by Curdium
I'll just post the same comment here that I posted months/years ago about Quest Mage, if you haven't played a Mecha'thun deck, you don't realize that it does take skill to stay alive long enough to pull the combo off.

If the Mecha'thun player can hold you off long enough to draw the combo and draw out their entire deck, then they've won. Mecha'thun destroying you is just the cherry on top. Yes, it feels bad when you lose, because it seems like you lost "all of the sudden" when you were completely ahead. However, the reality is that you had been losing for a while, but just in a different way. Open the Waygate quest was exactly the same, as is Malygos & Togwaggle druid.

Anyway, I understand the frustration, but it's unwarranted, in my opinion.

The frustration is due to the fact, this deck literally only stalls.
All throughout the game, until it just wins.
No real fight for the board.
Psychic scream can only be punished, if you have burn in your hand.
Or if you manage to somehow keep a full hand, and dump huge stats onto the board every turn.
The frustration people feel when playing against these decks has nothing to do with its skill-cap.

Why is the frustration unwarranted?
Decks that play this way have always been disliked, for the same reasons.
02/22/2019 01:13 PMPosted by Smeet
There IS a card that hard counters it a bit, but including hakkar in your deck just for the mechathun matchup is questionable (plus it can potentially be silenced)

You're safe to go then. Have you ever seen a Mechathun player run silences?

They don't. Except Priests.
02/25/2019 12:00 AMPosted by RandomDrunk

That's no argument at all. That's like saying (extreme example following) "School shootings in the USA have always been bad but you know people right?! They have always made a total fuss about it".
If a lot of people always complain about certain archetypes, then they might not be a good idea in an interactive cardgame. Like .. I dunno?! Decks that run on autopilot and only stall until the game is over?!
02/25/2019 12:12 AMPosted by GetSchwifty
02/25/2019 12:00 AMPosted by RandomDrunk

That's no argument at all. That's like saying (extreme example following) "School shootings in the USA have always been bad but you know people right?! They have always made a total fuss about it".
If a lot of people always complain about certain archetypes, then they might not be a good idea in an interactive cardgame. Like .. I dunno?! Decks that run on autopilot and only stall until the game is over?!

I literally explained the reasons in the first two paragraphs.
And added the last, to reinforce the point, that those kind of decks were never well-received.

...those kind of decks were never well-received.

Not to seem flip here, but so what? The idea that a certain play style isn’t “well received” isn’t a reason to nerf or ban a card that isn’t warping the meta. Don’t like losing to a certain play style? Sorry (honestly). Tech against it or get over it. The sign of a great card game is that there are multiple ways of playing it. Stalling out until you get some crazy combo win condition is one of them. No Mecha’thun deck has higher than around a 55% win condition. Many are below 50%. Thats fine. It’s also fine to not like playing against them. Just shrug after the game and play the next one, which likely won’t be Mecha’thun.