Mechathun Druid

Play Mode Discussion
So I was playing Odd Warrior vs Machathun Druid. He was nearly out of cards with 7 or 8 cards in hand. So I figured, he had to dump his hand, and I can let the fatigue damage kill him. So I just stopped playing minions. Eventually he played Mechathun, and I shield slammed it. Then he conceded.

Was I playing against a noob or is this a glaring flaw with the deck?
He probably had a naturalize or spellstone in hand he needed to dump before playing his combo but couldn't because you didn't play minions.

I've done it before vs Mecha'thun druids. It's one of the easier versions to beat.
There’s a lot of ways to mess with it.

My favorite is Lorewalker Cho into Academic Espionage after they have exhausted their card draw and can’t kill Cho so I get it back again the next turn.
02/07/2019 05:54 PMPosted by Schyla
He probably had a naturalize or spellstone in hand he needed to dump before playing his combo but couldn't because you didn't play minions.

Definitely have had this happen before. Had Mechathun, at least one innervate, and two Naturalizes. Should be an easy win, just got to remove whatever he’s got.

Then he goes and sticks a Berilium Nullifier (think that’s the name) onto his one minion. Can’t be targeted by Naturalize anymore, and it’s not like I have any other minions besides Mechathun itself. I forget if I had only one Innervate or two, but either way it’s not like I can naturalize Mechathun twice anyways. Warrior caught on, and didn’t play anything else while I crumpled.

Kind of a funny way to lose, actually. In some cases, doing nothing can totally be the right move.
This is why I always plan the use of my minions and damage spells so I can target my own stuff if I have no other options
02/08/2019 12:56 AMPosted by Teo
Kind of a funny way to lose, actually. In some cases, doing nothing can totally be the right move.

Had the exact same thing happen to me, against a mage, but he decided to play a minion cause I guess he didn't count the cards I played during the game.

Sad part is he played Hakkar the very next turn, so had he kept his other minion in hand, I'd have been 100% screwed (had to dump one naturalize, but can't use it on Hakkar, or my deck will never be empty anymore).

Anyway, the lesson to learn is that agaisnt Mecha'Thun druid, really count the spells they play and the minions they play. There's usually 6 minions (other than Mecha'Thun itself) and around 8-10 spells that can only be played on minions (Naturalize, Spellstone, Barkskin, Wrath and Earthen Scales). If you see that they played all their minions but not all the spells, stop playing minions and you will win by fatigue.
And as the druid, dump them asap :p
I see, so it’s an effective strategy if the Druid forgets to dump his removal cards. So it basically depnds on an error on the Druid’s part.
02/08/2019 04:49 AMPosted by Odyssesus
I see, so it’s an effective strategy if the Druid forgets to dump his removal cards. So it basically depnds on an error on the Druid’s part.

Sometimes they mess up with minions as well.

I have a replay where I am playing Shaman and the Druid only has a chain gang on board and innervate naturalize mechathun in hand. He needed his 1 minion to die, but I kept it alive. I even buffed it. The druid could not kill his minion off as I forced him to take fatigue damage while I continued to buff his minion and summon my taunt totem to block attacks that do damage to his minion.

He eventually just gave up. Funny thing is I posted the replay and got downvoted because most people didn't have a clue what I was doing and couldn't understand what was going on. It truly was a genius play at work.
02/08/2019 08:05 AMPosted by Schyla
02/08/2019 04:49 AMPosted by Odyssesus

Sometimes they mess up with minions as well.

I have a replay where I am playing Shaman and the Druid only has a chain gang on board and innervate naturalize mechathun in hand. He needed his 1 minion to die, but I kept it alive. I even buffed it. The druid could not kill his minion off as I forced him to take fatigue damage while I continued to buff his minion and summon my taunt totem to block attacks that do damage to his minion.

He eventually just gave up. Funny thing is I posted the replay and got downvoted because most people didn't have a clue what I was doing and couldn't understand what was going on. It truly was a genius play at work.

Did you call yourself a genius in that post, too? People tend to dissaprove of that.
You will also run into situations where the mechathun druid has to use up all of their removals on your minions, which causes them to be unable to clear their board to trigger mechathun.

It is often possible to wait out the fatigue in those games and win with whatever burst you need to wrap up the game.
Why I play toggle instead. Can't count how many times warrior sits there thinking I'm mech only to play toggle and give him my empty deck and lots of fatigue